Victory types questions

ianpwilliams

Chieftain
I just won my second game, having gone up to Warlord difficulty. I was going for Culture victory, but I ended up winning a Domination victory because we reached 2100AD and I was the only one who had destroyed another Civ's capital. I was on the verge of building the United Nations and getting the Culture victory though. I was also high on Technology. So what was I doing wrong?

I know how to go for the Domination victory (food to build up population, research and build lots of units, spread out and attack everything), and I'm guessing that for Economic you need lots of trade which you obviously turn into gold. Then you've got Technological where you need to research lots and lots. But what do you for Culture? You can research Cathedrals etc. and some techs which lead to cultural stuff, but do I need to spread out too? I was reading about the culture flipping thing but that never happened. I basically had two cities which I was defending vigorously while going for cultural stuff.

This is such a fun game. I've only played two games so far, having built The Great Wall of Zimbabwe in the first game, and bombed Rome from London with Lancaster bombers in the second. Oh yeah, and nuking another Roman city was fun too, if not very cultural :lol:

Out of interest, had the game gone to 2100AD and everyone had been equal Domination-wise, how would the victory be calculated then? Because before I attacked and conquered Rome everyone was equal.

I think Domination is the only victory you can fall into like that. Cultural Victory comes from getting 20 wonders or great people, and then building the United Nations wonder. Economic is getting 20,000 gold pieces and then building the World Bank wonder. Tech is researching space flight, building all the necessary components in orbit, then launching the sucker to Alpha Centauri. So all those victory types require you to hit a certain milestone, then build something to lock it in.

To get a cultural victory, build wonders, and temples/cathedrals in your cities. What they will do is get you great people faster, and when you settle great people, it adds to the 20 wonders/great people/ culturally converted cities count (if you use the great person to get gold or a tech he will not count towards the count). Also, the temples and cathedrals will let your borders expand, which is useful because it means the AI has more ground to cover before he gets to your cities. The temples and cathedrals also will help to culturally flip other cities.

I think the Romans are the best for cultural victory, 1/2 cost wonders, and more great people.

If you want to go for a cultural victory, make sure all your cities have temples and later on cathedrals. The more cities you have, the faster you'll get there usually (more cities usually equals more pop, and more pop means more culture). Also build courthouses in all your cities and build the Magna Carta wonder so that your courthouses will produce culture.

Building other wonders is certainly important when going for a cultural win and you should build them when you can, but Magna Carta is the most important wonder to get in my opinion if your going for a cultural win.

Also, never "use up" your great people. (e.g. don't burn a great scientist to immediately research a new tech). If you use up your great people, they won't count towards the 20 great people/wonders/culturally flipped cities you need to build the united nations. When you get great people, either settle them in a city, or use them to culturally flip an enemy city.

To answer your second question, if you were tied with one or more AI's at the end of the game in terms of how many palaces you owned, the winner is determined by whoever has the largest military and is therefore theoretically closest to a domination victory.

Good to know, thanks. That also explains why sometimes I was getting a new Great Person, but it wasn't registering on the count to 20 because I was using it instead of keeping it.

This game is so good, but wayyyy too addictive. I finish a game and immediately want to start another one even when I know I need a break :lol:

Going up to King difficulty next as well, so I'll probably get destroyed.

Top Bottom