Civ5 - shipping with Steamworks * plus Digital Deluxe Edition

Why are people thinking this is Steam only? I already pre-ordered mine from Amazon UK. :dunno:

Sid Meier’s Civilization V players will enjoy the benefits of the Steamworks’ features included in all PC versions

It might just be bad wording, but it sure sounds to me like you're going to need to use it.

So instead of making the game Steam-compulsory, they gave everyone an incentive by adding a MAP PACK to the Steam version. Guess it's time to start panicking, right?

This is one of the reasons I can't stand this site. The company announces the game will be available on Steam and come with a map pack, and that a special edition will come with extra stuff, and all anyone can do here is :):):):):) and moan. As a matter of fact, :):):):):)ing and moaning is all I see on this site. Some fans you are.

If that is case, I will take back my gripe. I don't think it is though, and won't until I see confirmation.

BTW, our rights as consumers are only as strong as our ability to say no. If they did Ubi DRM (which is much worse) , you'd probably be saying the same thing. We all knew this game would be on Steam anyways, so Steam as an option wouldn't have been newsworthy- this sounds like enforced Steamworks to me, which means no buy.

No Impulse or Gamersgate version no buy.

Steamworks basically means you WILL have to install Steam and activate your game even when installing from DVD.

2K Games and Valve have announced that Sid Meier's Civilization V will utilise the full range of Steamworks tools, thereby making the digital release exclusive to Steam

That looks pretty clear to me i am afraid. In all honesty i have never used steam before but i do not want to... All the complaints make me all scary of this stuff... Besides i want to own a game and not borrow it if you know what i mean. This blunder of epic proportions might lead to large scale piracy rather stupid of firaxis really. They are presenting it like as if it is something good.
Limiting peoples options like this is a blunder of epic proportions and the ones who came up with this should get fired... Really what are they thinking??

EDIT: I might just buy the standalone Fall from Heaven instead, i suppose Kael hasnt lost HIS mind

I know nothing about Steamworks. What would it mean if I'm required to use it?

I'm not a frequent flyer, but I am looking forward to being able to play Civ on the plane when I go to see my parents next month. No online access in the sky, of course, not that Civ 5 will be out by then.

What's next? Do I need to be online all the time, like Silent Hunter 5, Assassin's Creed 2 and Settlers 7? That would be an immediate no buy.

You can play games in offline mode with Steam. So you don't need to be online, unless Civ 5 itself requires you to be online, which would be the game's fault and not Steam.

Why are people thinking this is Steam only? I already pre-ordered mine from Amazon UK. :dunno:

You will receive the box from amazon UK, but it will still install Steam on your computer and use Steam and you will have to use a Steam account, that's the way it's worded. You won't even need the disc anymore. In fact, you won't even need the disc to install the game after you've activated your game on your Steam account. The disc, in this case, just allows you to install the game from disc instead of having to download it. The truth is the disc becomes kind of obsolete after the first few patches compared to the Steam download you will have access to. Total War has gone this path and I could basically throw my disc away now that it's registered in my Steam account.

You can play games in offline mode with Steam. So you don't need to be online, unless Civ 5 itself requires you to be online, which would be the game's fault and not Steam.

You will receive the box from amazon UK, but it will still install Steam on your computer and use Steam and you will have to use a Steam account, that's the way it's worded. You won't even need the disc anymore. In fact, you won't even need the disc to install the game after you've activated your game on your Steam account. The disc, in this case, just allows you to install the game from disc instead of having to download it. The truth is the disc becomes kind of obsolete after the first few patches compared to the Steam download you will have access to. Total War has gone this path and I could basically throw my disc away now that it's registered in my Steam account.

That is unless Steam gets borked. Also Valve can yank your game from you and make you unable to play it. They likely wouldn't without a reason, but they could.

I've had very few problems with Steam, but enough to not want to use it if there's a better alternative. Also, there are good strategy games made by other companies (Elemental, Vicky 2) that I'll have good games to play.

Total War should be thrown away regardless. :lol:

So, we get to "enjoy" irrelevant benefits of additional software bundled with all PC versions and this isn't something to be concerned about? Unless my 30-year mastery of English has broken down, this does not read as Steam being optional in any way.

Gave it a seconded tought. Will i buy it or not. Not sure! It's probably 50/50 now instead of 100%. If 4/10 civfanatics members will think the exact same way as i do that will still result in a 20% decrease in sales... Not too smart move from firaxis there. I am being too kind maybe with 20%. Still if it's available in retail random people might buy it on a whim and find out the horror later. Suppose they will still earn a lot of money but not as much as they would otherwise.

On a sidenote. Thanks arstal for the elemental game never heard of that one but it looks really interesting, might buy that instead/too.

As a steam lover I can't complain about that facet of the release myself, but adding an extra Civ only for the deluxe customers?

You do the math, 18 civs for $50, and 1 civ for $10.

Complete rip-off and I'm sick of seeing game companies do this. What's funny is valve releases a ton of free DLCs for their games. :crazyeye:

I guess they're joining the ranks Bioware and Activision, who constantly release tiny game updates for ridiculous prices :rolleyes: I can see it now, $10 DLCs every few months adding some new leader.

Gave it a seconded thougt. Will i buy it or not. Not sure! It's probably 50/50 now instead of 100%. If 4/10 civfanatics members will think the exact same way as i do that will still result in a 20% decrease in sales... Not too smart move from firaxis there. I am being too kind maybe with 20%. Still if it's available in retail random people might buy it on a whim and find out the horror later. Suppose they will still earn a lot of money but not as much as they would otherwise.

On a sidenote. Thanks arstal for the elemental game never heard of that one but it looks really interesting, might buy that instead/too.

I don't think that many people will have the guts to say no sale. We're sheep.

Elemental beta (really an alpha) is rough right not, but pre-orders can play the game (in waves)

The best way to discourage this behavior is to support valve's competitors.

If Firaxis put the game on another service, I'd buy it.

Oh, and expect mods to get hurt by this as well.

You have to wonder though, how viable are dlc's anyway? Major expansion packs like Warlords and Beyond the Sword are cool. Small tidbits, like dlc's usually are, sounds like a massive failure given the immense talents found in our modding community.

I don't think that many people will have the guts to say no sale. We're sheep.

Elemental beta (really an alpha) is rough right not, but pre-orders can play the game (in waves)

The best way to discourage this behavior is to support valve's competitors.

If Firaxis put the game on another service, I'd buy it.

Oh, and expect mods to get hurt by this as well.

Name one similar service even close to steam in users?

That's why they went with steam.

When supreme commander 2 came out, the patches(released two days after launch) became bigger than the game itself because of Steam(and you couldn't skip the patches). So, if you bought the game retail, you had to download more(around 3gb in total) than if you bought it digitally on Steam. I hope firaxis don't go in the same trap.

Bear in mind that Steamworks is a free package that provides developers with a lot of nifty services (automatic updates to all connected users, fine-grained sales data, etc.)

I happen to like Steam and use it exclusively, but I understand the frustrations of those who prefer not to use middleware like Steam, because Steamworks basically means that all versions of the game will require Steam.

However, it would be cool if 2K takes advantage of Steam's upcoming "SteamPlay" feature which allows PC users to download Mac editions of certain games for free, and vice versa (much like how Blizzard gives you both a PC and Mac version, at release, with all of their games).

Top Bottom