Newbie Question. Plains what are they good for?

Mongols are hard...until you get your first Khan....

Mongols are hard...until you get your first Khan....
Oh I have no problem with combat. Hell I could probably win the game with all default units barring some unusual circumstances or perhaps a player of equal combat skill to my own (or better) with unique units.

Khan gives +15 heal, which means you don't have to go home to heal, and you can park your units outside cities and let them bombard you. That impacts all kinds of things--not just combat. And that's BEFORE Keshiks.

Interesting discussion. Maybe plains are kind of conditional.

I would rather have plains than all grassland/jungle or all hills (with no river.) Because you would then have SOME production and SOME food. Specialization would require bonus or strategic resources unlike a tile mix. But I tend to only lock tiles if they are great for production and keep my city growing.

It's really more a matter of having say, +3 food throughout development, and enough hammers that I could build and early wonder if needed. But I don't play at high difficulties, so I don't need a perfect start.

What I really hate is too much hammers or too much food. Which Plains, all other factors ignored, don't suffer from. With a few useful resources nearbye, I think it's totally playable.

You really need at least one wheat tile+granary or fish+lighthouse for a plains city to do anything productive in the early game. Farmed plains tiles just grow too slowly. Obviously rivers help with money and civil service, but civil service comes late (from an early-game perspective). If there is no wheat/fish, don't even bother settling it unless you have a lot of happiness already, or you're about to get civil service.

As Mongolia, you might want to disobey the above advice if you see horses. Getting horses is obviously really important as Mongolia.

Kind of related to this discussion, on a sidenote: I don't know how familiar people are with how the game generates map and starting conditions, but when deciding the starting conditions, the game will evaluate the sites and calculate a score based on terrain, luxury resources, strategic resources and bonus resources etc. - score needs to meat a certain level to qualify as a starting location. Now this information is hardly revolutionary, but here comes the interesting part: Looking through the appropriate game files (AssignStartingLocations.lua) one can see from the ample documentation that at some point after game release, possibly by the time that Stone resource was introduced, the scores for terrain types were changed, so that Plains was upgraded from 3 to 4 and Grassland degraded from 4 to 3. This means that in game, Plains are actually considered more worthwhile than Grassland when in comes to starting conditions. Comments?

If you have plains you need to continue to grow and not focus on production sometimes.

Instead if you have grass you will grow faster but have lower production so you have to switch between production focus and then grow...

You can't focus on maximum production if you have plains simple as that on the plus side you will have a continue production

I don't get the 'worhtless' and 'afford to improve' them comment. If you city has worked every better yield tile, or for some reason, you need to work them for the hammers, then you improve them like any other tile your citizens are working.

Maybe I just missed your point.

In my experience, sometimes you won't need to work those tiles until many turns have gone by, but sometimes you will work them early as you had no better tiles to work. Situational.

I don't get the 'worhtless' and 'afford to improve' them comment. If you city has worked every better yield tile, or for some reason, you need to work them for the hammers, then you improve them like any other tile your citizens are working.

Maybe I just missed your point.

In my experience, sometimes you won't need to work those tiles until many turns have gone by, but sometimes you will work them early as you had no better tiles to work. Situational.

What I mean is that settling your capital that is surrounded by 6 tiles of plains and hills (i.e. no 2 food tiles beside your capital) is a TERRIBLE start. However, once you can improve plain tiles (after your luxury tiles, etc. are already improved), I think they are not bad - because by then you will care more about production than just purely food.

I understand what you mean. Some starts are rough. I remember a few starts where I could barely grow my starting city. And city two was worse.

Some would see that as a challenge.

I play Civ V to relax and entertain, so I re-roll if it looks like I am not going to have much joy in playing from a given start. I could argue that a successful civ probably settled an area with decent resources which is why they were successful. I would rather not be at the edge of an ice age :)

This is just the first time I've noticed it in my game so I'm not even sure if it has happened before.

I'm playing as Korea (for the first time) and I'm on a PerfectWorld3 map and I notice around my capital a couple of Plains/Hills terrain types.

Is that even possible? I would have thought one or the other.

What types of terrain combinations can and can't be had?

What types of terrain combinations can and can't be had?

Forest won't be on Desert
I've never seen Marsh on Hills (or Mountains)
I've never seen Jungle on Mountains
I've never seen Forest on Mountains
Flood Plains can only be on flat Desert tiles along a river

Hills & Mountains can be on anything else not mentioned above.

Forest won't be on Desert
I've never seen Marsh on Hills (or Mountains)
I've never seen Jungle on Mountains
I've never seen Forest on Mountains
Flood Plains can only be on flat Desert tiles along a river

Hills & Mountains can be on anything else not mentioned above.

So it is possible to have plains and hills on the same hex?
That is very strange. There really should be a change there. Something like the restriction on flood plains.

That is very strange. There really should be a change there. Something like the restriction on flood plains.

Plains hills are fine; you'll find them in the eastern third of Oklahoma.

Pretty sure this is possible.

However, hill tiles are basically the same regardless if it is grassland, plain, desert, or tundra. It's always 2 hammer.

what is the problem? it doesnt make a diffrence if a hill is desert, tundra,plains or grassland, it will yield 2 production. only snow is diffrent. if there is a forrest on a hill it will yield 1,1 if its jungle its 2,0

plains are nice if there is wheat and horses and of course rivers always help any type of terrain. i tend to find way more horses on plains than on grasslands.

wheatriver plains next to a hill is the best first 10 turns hex you can get 2,2,1 Cap+ palace +2,1,1 wheat ( oh deer will actually do the same) but trapping is not really on peoples early techpaths for rapid tile improvement)

Top Bottom