Why Automatic War - Happens when using Nuclear Weapons?

Because you nuked their territory? You think they should just shrug that off ("boys with their toys" -- get off my lawn, or I'm going to get really mad)?

By the way, use of nukes will also trigger insta-DOW if you kill any other civ's units that happen to be in the blast radius (e.g., units using open borders in the territory of the civ you nuked).

I don't think a neutral civ would take kindly to part of their territory being blasted by a nuke.

Everything within a 2 tile range of the blast will feel the full force of the effect (only difference being that any unit targeted will die instantly, as opposed to being severely wounded). The city and improvement damage is the same I think. I guess that part of the challenge is that you have to figure out where the blast is going, and try to pick a spot that won't touch any other Civ, CS, or your own units. It doesn't show you beforehand, and doesn't give you a warning.

It's not that hard to turn on the hex grid and count tiles. If you don't have targeting visibility on those tiles and therefore can't verify the absence of neutral units, you should think twice about flinging a nuke into that area.

But I just think that the creators were trying to make a statement about nuclear war. If you notice any other time you try to DOW it warns you and asks if you're sure.

I do wish there was some way to avoid attacking a neutral unit within the blast range, particularly when you're striking unseen territory and they don't even warn you that someone else has a unit there.

and considering the AI loves to "camp out" in foreign lands with missionaries or archaeologists, it can be rather difficult to use nukes without doing so.

Top Bottom