Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Hello Folks.

As mentioned before, I have Pikeman takind down my Bomber. I can't attach here for some odd reason. I am using ScreenHunter, have zipped it, winrar'd it; still no go. The screenshot itself is 2.25 MB, and when using WinRaR, gets down to 987 KB.

Help anyone?

John

What type of image format is it? Have you tried saving as a jpeg?

[Edit] Office Picture Manager can do this via the File->Export menu. [/Edit]

Hello, I am a big fan of the Civ series and I just got Civ 4, however I am experiencing some difficulties. When I try to alter the income in a city (like when you make the city obtain resources from a mine instead of a farm) it appears to alter just fine, and I end my turn. But when the turn has ended the town is just the same as it was before and I din't even get the altered resources for that one round. Anyone know of a way to fix this? If you don't understand what I mean I can provide some screenshots... Thanks.

@Wakka
Check the icons at the bottom of the city screen (next to where the available builds window is) You may have one of the goveners enabled, eg "emphasize production/commerce/food". Unfortunately the AI doesn't recognize our superior city management and ignores all our instructions unless we switch the darn thing off! If you mouse-over all the icons you should find one telling you to "switch off x" and all the others will say "switch on xx" Click that and hopefully that should solve your problems.

@JohnYoga
This forum is extremely expensive to run hence the "puny" file limits.
Saving files as jpegs is an easy way of posting pictures to the net that even people on dial up can see. It's a useful thing to know how to do and couldn't be easier:
1. Open the picture with Office Picture Manager
2. Click "File" then select "save as"
3. In the pop up window you can change the file extension and it will change the bitmap to a jpeg for you. You can even keep the same filename.

If you still need convincing then check the file size after you've converted it, should be 10-20% of the bitmap and most people can't tell the difference between them. Bitmaps are an old unefficient file type and swallow storage space.

Hope I haven't come across as patronising. :blush:

Just wanted to add that you can also use Paint (which anyone should have ;) ) to convert it to .jpg/ .jpeg . Altough most people will prefer it if you save it as .png because it won't be so 'blurred'.

Anyway just open paint, load the file, do 'save as...' and change the file extention (same as Office Picture Manager basically :))

Is there a way to set the game to end at a specific year?

I find the default (2050?) to be too soon for me. I know you can tick off the 'Time Victory' option in Custom games, but I don't want the game to go on and on until another victory type is met.

I just want to add a few hundred more turns to the default Time victory.

Thanks.

A few questions on religion.

1). When you found a new religion, where does it determine that the holy city is? I would assume that it would be the capital but it never is.
2). What does having no state religion do, specifically, besides not letting you have the bonuses for having a state religion (and besides free religion).
3). What determines how fast a religion spreads? Is it just random? Sometimes random religions just pop in a city, one that only exists on the other side of the world
4). In the manual and civilopedia it says that you can see any city that has a religion that you founded, but it's only ever my state religion that I can see. Is this just an oversight on their part?

1). When you found a new religion, where does it determine that the holy city is? I would assume that it would be the capital but it never is.

A city is selected at random, though there seems a preference for cities that do not have an existing religion. In practice it is very unusual for it to select your capital unless it is the only city you have.

2). What does having no state religion do, specifically, besides not letting you have the bonuses for having a state religion (and besides free religion).

Having no state religion ensures that while you get no bonuses to relations with other civs, you get no penalties either.

3). What determines how fast a religion spreads? Is it just random? Sometimes random religions just pop in a city, one that only exists on the other side of the world

A religion has a chance each turn of spreading to any city that has a trade connection to the holy city of that religion, and has no existing religion. Building the religious shrine increases the rate of this. Religions cannot spread to cities that already have a religion without the aid of missionaries.

4). In the manual and civilopedia it says that you can see any city that has a religion that you founded, but it's only ever my state religion that I can see. Is this just an oversight on their part?

This is one of the manual's many errors. You can only see foreign cities with your religion if you are currently running it as state religion and control the holy city.

Hello Folks.

I think Lost Civatares will be posting my screen capture...thanks Pete!

And Mr. Cynical: What is the "SDK"? A deeper game mod tool the designers at Civ are going to release?

This is an outstanding thread, thanks!

John

Pretty easy question for some...I just downloaded the 'allcivs' mod and i am having trouble figuring out where to put the file so i can use it in my own games. Could you tell what folder to put them in so i can implement the civs in my games? i also downloaded a map and put it in the 'WORLDBUILDER' folder and it works...so would i put this 'allcivs' file in the 'MODS' folder? or what one? Thanks...

Hello Folks.

I appreciate this thread, and the lightning fast responsiveness...

My brother-in-law and I MP across the miles, and have questions:

The higher you put the AI's difficulty level, the harder it gets for him?

How do they get handicapped or helped with the levels?

You see, we are playing on the Noble level, and so are the AIs. We want to make it slightly harder for them (for now).

Regards,

John

The Mods folder is probably a good place to start, so try it there first. Otherwise, I would suggest that you check the thread the mod came from, or else the readme of the mod (if it has one), as the creator will probably give installation instructions.

JohnYoga said:
Hello Folks.

I appreciate this thread, and the lightning fast responsiveness...
My brother-in-law and I MP across the miles, and have questions:
The higher you put the AI's difficulty level, the harder it gets for him?
How do they get handicapped or helped with the levels?
You see, we are playing on the Noble level, and so are the AIs. We want to make it slightly harder for them (for now).
Regards,
John

You cannot change the AI's difficulty level, only your own. The higer you set the level, the harder the game will be for you. If you want to make the game harder for the AI, you have to make it easier for you, by moving down a level.
At higher levels, the AI gets many different bonuses. For example, at diety, it starts with two settlers, three scouts, and a bunch of archers.

Thank you for the fast response Scienide09. I just IMed my brother-in-law your information, as we get ready for our next Quick Play 22 hour game...

Understood.

John

Top Bottom