Games That Are Similar to Civ

Tell me more about AoE III! I have been eye balling this game for a while and might pick it up while it is on sale.

How has this thread got to the second page without anyone mentioning Alpha Centauri? You can see the early 'DNA' of many things that were placed in the main Civ series there and there's still somethings like custom unit creation that still haven't made there way across. Best of all, it's available for pretty cheap nowadays from places like GOG.

I'm trying hard not to hype it up too much, as overhype can sour reaction, but it's one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time and will pretty much be the benchmark for Beyond Earth when it comes out, as fans have been clamouring for Firaxis to do a sequel/remake to AC for a long time.

Tell me more about AoE III! I have been eye balling this game for a while and might pick it up while it is on sale.

It's the game that launched me as a history major. It's the game that spawned my favorite quote: "The Circle has built a huge fixed gun on the cliff above the Lake of the Moon!" "Aye, and we're gonna capture it!" It's the game that has the campaign that everyone derides but I love (because it's a Stupid Adventure Story).

Oh, yeah, and gameplay's really pretty great...I can't even explain it properly, it's just fantastic. Well worth picking up (but grab the complete edition; the two expansion packs really add a lot!)

If you don't mind to play very old games you can try Master of Orion 2. One of the best games i ever played.

^This. I sank WAY too many hours into MOO2 -- more than Civ V (which is also an embarrassingly large number of hours).

I also like to recommend europa universalis 4 and crusader kings 2. These two were the 1st paradox games for me, and I didn't try the paradox games before because they looked too complicated. But finally I started playing eu4 after watching play throughs in YouTube for like 8 hours.Trust me it was worth the time. The result was extremely rewarding .

Heroes of Might and Magic series. Not a real 4X, but near and pretty fun.

Also, Galactic civilizations 2. Ido not recommend number 3 for the time being. It's in beta now, and two or three things are pretty annoying and you need to appreciate marathon games.

I like xcom EU it has pretty fun tactics although thin mints eat children (crit no matter what) and mootons will never be forgiven(they always kill my favorite support)

Victoria an empire under the sun is a great game. There is a Victoria 2 out now (from 2010 or so...) but I have not played that version. But even do it was really tricky to get the hang of the game at first, once you do it is a wonderful game.

Risk.

Get off the keyboard, grab some friends and watch everyone not be able to hold on to Asia.

I played the Civilization 5 board game and it's pretty fun.

Europa Universalis IV is at a 70% discount on steam right now. I'm very tempted to pick it up for 9 bucks, but there's also a bundle with what looks like all the DLC for $25. Does anyone who's played it recommend getting the entire collection?

Europa Universalis IV is at a 70% discount on steam right now. I'm very tempted to pick it up for 9 bucks, but there's also a bundle with what looks like all the DLC for $25. Does anyone who's played it recommend getting the entire collection?

Get the whole collection - though the expansions aren't necessary to have a functional experience (not like CiV expansions!), they add enough things that you'll probably miss otherwise. And you're definitely not going to beat the price it's running for right now.
While you're at it, grab Victoria II...$6 right now and well worth it!

Get the whole collection - though the expansions aren't necessary to have a functional experience (not like CiV expansions!), they add enough things that you'll probably miss otherwise. And you're definitely not going to beat the price it's running for right now.
While you're at it, grab Victoria II...$6 right now and well worth it!

Thanks for your input, I saw the sale and was going to come here and ask the same thing... glad someone beat me to it. Civ is the only series of its kind that I've played but Europa Universalis looks intriguing.

I should warn people about Endless Legend. I bought this game based off review scores alone (a VERY bad practice, also why I ended up with Divinity: Original Sin); and I must say I am HIGHLY disappointed in the game. I have not spent the thousands of hours with it that I have with Civ, but even the few hours I have played have me regretting my purchasing decision. Sure, the game looks pretty, and seems "in-depth", unfortunately for the life of me I can't figure out what the game wants you to do, what my goal should be. This game is even more of a "next-turn-clickfest" than late game Civ V.

My suggestions (if you are looking for a game similar to civ v) is tro try gal civ II, or wait for Gal Civ III, or better yet, CIv VI.

Top Bottom