Gatling guns and above - lackluster?

Again the point is that any tile occupied by a gatling gun could have been occupied by an artillery one instead, which has more range and indirect fire.

The upgrade path for artillery is weird though, there is a HUGE gap between artillery and rocket artillery, so you have riflemen just standing in the open getting blasted by strength 28 artillery and they just dont care. Same with frigates -> battleships, cities with arsenals are pretty much immune to frigates and you have to tech to battleships which takes forever.

Im still not seeing why gatling guns are better on defence compared to artillery, given that artillery can shoot back at enemy artillery while the gatling guns are just going to sit in the city and do nothing...

Im still not seeing why gatling guns are better on defence compared to artillery, given that artillery can shoot back at enemy artillery while the gatling guns are just going to sit in the city and do nothing...

They are not better, they are just on the path. Artillery would require a detour if you play peacefully.

For the folks defending gats, my question is this: Do you ever hard build them? If so, under what circumstances exactly? How about MG or bazooka?

I just don't feel like they are actually useful until they get +1 range. I do appreciated them on the front line (but they have to stay 2 hexes away from cities), but I never hard build them, unless none of AA, GWI, arty unlocked (so, very rare).

The only land units I ever hard build post-industrial are artillery, and that's for games where I don't build siege pre-dynamite. Between landschnekhts, foreign legion, militaristic CS, and upgrades I feel I am covered on the land front. I just play the land units I've got and hard build navy and air force. Sometimes my CS just love to gift AA and I go with it.

Last game I maxed out a pair of machineguns at 720xp on standard speed. At that point the only promotion available is the emergency heal, which I save up just in case.

Gatlings are better at D than artillery for the same reason composites are better at it than catapults: because they get terrain bonuses. They can eat a hit or two where the artillery really shouldn't. And with march, logistics, and rough/open 3 they just rip through stuff, where the artillery really need to take the siege promos. And you've got the 1-turn setup for artillery that gats don't have. Finally one more reason: Kilimanjaro gats. Nuff said.

The most highly trained units I ever had were 2 machine guns that came up through the ages. They were like level 16 and by the end they could pretty much take out a civ by themselves.

Whoa. That is one cool promoted machine gun you got there.

On marathon I'll get like 4 of those, and they're not machineguns, they're gatlings

Can't say I've ever hit level 16, though.

Gats are fun, but only because they derive from your veteran XBs. Lackluster is being generous. People are comparing apples to oranges. Filter out the XP aspect, and no one disagrees with OP.

Gatlings are better...

But you don't like them enough to ever build them! Sorry, but that says much more than all your praise.

The most highly trained units I ever had were 2 machine guns that came up through the ages. They were like level 16 and by the end they could pretty much take out a civ by themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoy my MGs, but they can't take cities, and even with 16 promotions (since cover does not help) they can be one-shotted.

4 Gatlings on Marathon, you say?

Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoy my MGs, but they can't take cities, and even with 16 promotions (since cover does not help) they can be one-shotted.

In that picture its the machine guns that are doing the work against the 54 and 66 defense cities. They are stripping the defense in 1 or 2 turns. The other units are mostly protecting them. The Mongols would also try to hit that Infantry unit and do like 1 point of damage. LOL

In that picture its the machine guns that are doing the work against the 54 and 66 defense cities... The Mongols would also try to hit that Infantry unit and do like 1 point of damage.

Your units are two generations ahead of the AI. You are a great player, but that screenshot doesn't really demonstrate that gats/etc are any good compared to the alternatives. By the time I have MGs, the AI has strength 100 cities. I have so much room for improvement... :sad:

By your logic, I hate all post-industrial land units. I don't hard-build land units then, for the most part. I'm getting enough land units by other means.

MG's can take on SOME cities. You have to pay attention to the shield number above the city. Turtles and aircraft you have to watch out for (as you would for any experienced unit). If the gun is up-to-date technologically, it can take on more than half the cities out there. They play like xbows without range upgrade, pure and simple. You have to protect xbows, too, but people swear by those. Next time a CS gifts you gunners, play them for real and see how it goes.

Note to self: Put Gatlings on the offensive next game.

Hilariously, my deity industrial games look like a cutscene out of a WWI movie. DoW an AI, he throws a couple waves of units at me from the trenches. A pair of gatlings on the hills with logistics. Rat-tat-tat-tat-tat.

I usually make sure I have a Gatling/MG/Bazooka in all my cities in case barbarians wander into my territory or a civ I'm at war with decides to launch a flanking attack.

Top Bottom