SGOTM 13 - TNT thread

What about this?
Ferry the settler and worker to the hill/grass island. Settler on hill will defog and the worker can chop the forest for Elba. Then settle on the logged grass, mine the hill and net the clams. The grass tile w of corn could get a cottage which new city can work in conjunction with Elba. Send the galley to search the north island. The turn 76 border pop should reveal eastern island. The work boat might have an extra turn or two to search the sw islands before going clamming.

I agree with the first two. The third one just requires two turns of galley movement to check; I assume you realize this.

I agree that using a little more time will fix this, and we would probably need to scout around the island anyway in order to find the correct location for the city.

But the SE island is desert in place of the tundra :p.

I know :( My point is simply that I'm not impressed by the NW island (unless we find more), and then I prefer a fish over a crab. A minor point is that it is very easy to scout the northern part of the SE island (including sea tiles reachable by a city).

@Keath and WorldBuilder: Entering WB will automatically (?) bring you to Player Mode. The first item under Buildings (lefthand panel) is a City. You change Player to whomever you what, place a city whereever you want, and delete its Settler. The you choose City Mode (righthand panel) and click on the city. You can then give the city whatever you want.

Chopping the forest on the 2-tile W island, will only give 9 production to Elba. If the Worker has nothing to do, then we go for it, ofc. But if we want to put our next city on that forested tile, then we cannot wait until it is chopped. That will postpone the city unnecessarily.

OK well glad I didn't screw up the worker too much, but you're right I didn't MM him to go put 1 turn on the last tile on our island, i just wanted to make sure that the Worker was in place for the chop and didn't think it though fully, playing with this much detail is new to me.

Oh and I'm meant to mention this at first and anyone that's opened the game knows this but no copper popped up anywhere that we can see.

@Keath and WorldBuilder: Entering WB will automatically (?) bring you to Player Mode. The first item under Buildings (lefthand panel) is a City. You change Player to whomever you what, place a city whereever you want, and delete its Settler. The you choose City Mode (righthand panel) and click on the city. You can then give the city whatever you want.
Thank you. I'll see how this goes.

Chopping the forest on the 2-tile W island, will only give 9 production to Elba. If the Worker has nothing to do, then we go for it, ofc. But if we want to put our next city on that forested tile, then we cannot wait until it is chopped. That will postpone the city unnecessarily.
Yeah, hardly worth it for 9 hammers when a settler is ready to go.

enKage said:
Settling city #2

Settling #2 on the western tiny island:
Hills: maintanace 1,39 (-1 per turn). City cost -2 after reaching pop 2, but after this can grow at least to pop 4 w/o paying more maintenance

forest: maintenacje 1,59 (-2 per turn), the same with pop 2 and pop3

Settling #2 on any other tile -2 per turn
There are 4 city locations for the lower maintenance then - the w grass hill 2-tile island, the desert se of the fish, the grass tile north of the stone or the grass tile ne of the stone both of which may have no food.

I have a test game built to reflect our last save. We are isolated and an AI has the GLH. The only problem is not being able to upload to the server. Anyone have an idea how to do this another way?

I see two possible moves for the settler and galley.
1. Drop the settler as quick as possible on the grass tile north of the stone hill. if there's food there, this is the best site. We get the stone, the early city can share the mined hill with Elba and at distance 4 it has the lowest maintenance costs.

2. Send the galley/setter south beside the stone hill and manually unload the settler on the stone. On the next turn the settler can choose between in place, settling north, north east or even moving south.

The grass site north of the stone is a strategically good canal city and with a quarry on the stone a 1f,5p tile is the best tile we have in view! Plus a 3 hammer mined desert hill and a hill to mine south. If there's no food, the settler can head north and settle the fish.

It would be nice to get the stone. :cool:

Another thought that applies to almost anywhere we decide to send our Settler: We should send the Warrior with the Settler in the Galley. This way we can move the Warrior ashore first to scout, and only then decide if and where to send the Settler. This is also safer if we run into barbarians (some locations would be safe anyway).

Of course we have to make sure that the Warrior gets back to Elba before she runs into happiness problems, but I don't think that will be a problem. We probably want to go back to get our Worker anyway, and then the Warrior can go home. I don't have time to verify the timing in a test save right now (class pending).

-jj-

One possible move order (using the Warrior) is the following:

1. Move Galley to position 1 and move Settler + Warrior into Galley
2. Move Galley to position 2 and Warrior to position 3.
3. Decide where to put Settler: postion 3 or 4 or other.
4. Next turn move Warrior to SE tip of island before making final decision about Settler.

Another possibility:

1. Move Galley to position 1 with Settler and Warrior.
2. Move Galley 1 SW and put Warrior on 1-tile island (position 2).
3. Decide whether to put Settler there too (pos 2) or move Galley to position 3 and put Settler on other island.

If we don't find anything, then at least moves like these two examples are efficient scouting.

i must say i am AGAINST mapping out terrian like that. sorry that i only just saw this.. but its information not intended, even by a long shot, to be readily available at this time. I would like us not to refer to such tables.

BUT, thats a lot for work you put into it, and im realy glad to have people in our team, who are ready to work hard to get stuff done. Thank you!

im goiong into civland in 1 hour..

Good luck, fizbankovi!

As far as the maps go, this is available to every team. It's recently been debated and we'd be at a disadvantage not to use it. :scan:

i just now dl-ed the game save for the first time.. i will open it and plan a PPP

(im only from now for about 3-4 hours.)

@ fizban, - great to do a plan but reference the excellent text file in post #143. I'd say follow that exactly up to turn 75 and you'll have a great result. Give us a heads up if you meet anything interesting, hopefully not a hungry barbarian. :eek:
-------------
I like the moves in post #292. First choice - position 4 - lowest maintenance, great canal city and synergy with the mined hill. Post #295 is a good third city choice. The northern island needs to be scouted and it's distance is further but hopefully there are some bonuses there. I'd say city four there and five to get the eastern fish - all depending on resources, of course. Time will tell. And we must get an extra galley soon. There are barbs out there.

im doing the number crunching od the demo page, but cannot read the values rught from that erlier post, i need the numbers from the land tiles.

(rival avarage seems to be 6,333 which is impossible)

Number crunching from demo land page

We have 1 land locked AI (9 land tiles on turn 1)
We have 5 other AIs with a total land mass of 32, none of which is less than 6.
That means a land tile distribution of capitol either:
8-6-6-6-6
Or
7-7-6-6-6

Naval Warfare is the way to go.

Top Bottom