The City States of Greece

Hooray! The hour is nigh, but we are not too late...

Mayor Dirk Christos and SmugKitty...:help:

We are all late to enter the game, and it will benefit us if we: Overturn the motion!

I think that there's a problem with this, if the settler isn't controlled by the one who controls the city, what's the encouragement for building a settler, instead of improving the city?

The encouragement is that you wont get trampled by the NPCs, and I will award prestige to those who build the settler.

I think that there's a problem with this, if the settler isn't controlled by the one who controls the city, what's the encouragement for building a settler, instead of improving the city?

Good question. I had not thought about this. The city states are pretty independent, so I see what you mean. I don't have a good feel for how the different players can pressure each other yet. If everybody wants you to build a settler in your city but you won't, how can the other players effect your game?

Perhaps every city should be required to build a settler within a certain number of builds? Maybe all settlers should be purchased with in game cash? Maybe the almighty Deity Doteity should mandate settler construction, with the righteous fury of an omnipotent god raining down on all who would refuse such an offering?

:think:

Edit: I just saw Deiti Doteity's post. Much more succinctly put.

Prestige could probably be obtained easier other ways, for example just going OCC mass-puppeteering strategy with a military focus?

RP

The air around Prota was filled with the sounds of a festival. Indeed, it was a festival for him. He was glad his people were happy, and was grateful to see the looks of jubliation on their faces. This is what it means to RULE, he thought. To be happy, to have your people be happy. That was the greatest gift of all, better than all the drachma in the world. He was even more glad that other Athenians had been creative enough to rise to the halls of the Megalis, and that the great burden of government had been spread around a little. Darkly, he remembered the debate that had been raging for days over how settling parties would be controlled in the future. Now was a time of celebration, however, not one of contemplation.

He walked through the streets of his city, followed by his wife Adelpha and their 13 year old son, Ainos. They did not walk as royals, though. No, they walked as tavern owners. They did this often, to gauge the mood of the citizenry. But today they did it only to join in the celebration, and watch the joy his decision had brought to their people. Yes, today was a day of celebration. When Prota turned around, he saw Ainos cavorting around with other boys his age and flirting with pretty girls. To be young again... Prota turned again and walked forwards, sure that his wife and son followed him.

When he reached a palla stall, he stopped and bought three of the delicious fish. The woman there handed them to him with a smile on her face, which grew even larger when he provided her with double the amount required. Cries of "Thank you, Kind sir!" followed him as he walked back to his family.

When he reached them, he saw his son talking in earnest with another young lady. She was about his height, and from what Prota could tell about his age. She had dark brown hair and olive skin, and the bright blue dress and bracelet she wore perfectly accented her ocean blue eyes.

"But, Calpetha, why would a pretty girl like you want to be a tavern keeper?"

"Its quite simple, Ainos. I like to listen and learn. What better place to do that than in a tavern?"

"I guess that makes sense, but..."

Prota smiled at the exchange and thought about what a great queen this girl would make. But he forgot about his son for a minute when he turned and saw his wife laughing at a joke a woman she was talking to had just made. She was still beautiful, even in her 30's. Her brown eyes sparkled with delight, and her cheery features reminded hima again why he had married her.

He quickly handed out the fish, and then turned back to his son and his female companion. "I believe we haven't met, young lady." He pretended to be the stern father, but he could see that she saw through his act right away. A very good queen indeed.

"I am Calpetha Honios, Mr. Hoaios."

Prota smiled at her and said, "Be careful with my son. He's quite gullible." He enjoyed the spread of bright red over his son's face. It is a parent's job to embarass their children, after all, he thought with a smile. Calpetha smiled back, and Prota turned away.

Not before he heard his son's next question, though. "Where can I meet with you again?" He smiled.

~~~~~

That night the family returned to the palace, and their arrival was noted by the servants. The expression on Ainos's face was also noted. Within hours the full account of their adventure had been disseminated around the palace.

Thus was another chapter added to the legend of the Palla King.

(Turn reports happen when I need player input, but nothing significant has really happened)

~The Japanese Arrive in Athens~

Everyone heard of the arrival of a Japanese scout. Word soon reached the palace that these scouts wanted to see the Prinkipas, and that they were sent by the Shogun Tokugawa of Japan. They came before the aging Prota Fotismenos and said in thick accents of broken Greek:

We have come on behalf of our leader, Shogun Tokugawa of Japan. He wishes to meet you, Leader of the Geeks. He wants you to come and dine at his table in the Palace of Kyoto.

Little RP:

The commoners of Athens were becoming more and more agitated with the visit of the Japanese envoy. Toiling the fields of Athens was a hard enough life without a strange and exotic people posing a potential threat.

However, on this day the farmers and townspeople put down their aprons and their farming implements in order to engage in fun and games. It was a festival to honor their "Palla King", and to forget their worries for a while.

At this particular time the commoners preferred to play a game in which two teams opposed each other, endevouring to reach each others end of the field by either running with a ball, or passing it to one another.

Two of the best teams in Athens were playing in the city championship: The first team took their name from a mythical race very popular among the Athenian tribes, The Giants. The second team took their name from their abiding love and loyalty to their young city, and to their affectionate king. They called themselves the Patriots.

Since the very founding of Athens, the great minds and the craftsmen of the city had been hard at work discovering how to use the mud and sands of the landscape to fashion pots and plates and bowls. Work was currently underway for a clay vessel of great proportions, a "Super Bowl" as it was commonly referred. The winner of today's game was to receive this super bowl as a gesture of congratulations for representing the warrior spirit and competitive ideals of the city.

Who would win the super bowl, the Giants or the Patriots? This was the question on the mind of the common man...

:high5: :cheers: :trophy:

Response to Japs
I would be happy to attend, but I ask only this: tell me as much as you can about your people.

~~~~~

OOC: dot, meant to ask this before, but are you hot seating this and controlling the AIs as well?

Yes I am.

Lol @ Aaronius

Hmm... Is the stuff we write in the thread "hidden" from other nations?

Also, just wondering, what would happen if a house was wiped out? Would some distant relative just spring up or?

Public? So they public knows that we're talking about attacking the Japanese? :p

I believe not.

And :lmao: at Aaronius.

Does the good King have a favorite in the game that will honor him?

And the commoners look forward soon to having a princess to admire..:queen:

RP

-

Agamemnon Megakyrios knew the day would one day come, he knew deep within his heart of hearts that the Japanese, that strange people from the North would come to Athens. Ah but it is an opportunity, to find out more about these strange people and begin the work to ensure the prosperity of Athens, and all its daughter cities to come.

Sitting in the Megalis with the Prinkipas Agamemnon spoke

"Greak Prinkipas, indeed you are correct in graciously accepting this diplomatic visitation into our city and meeting with the Shogun Tokugawa, but I must ask that this event is one appropriate to the guest and that as such I, as your senior advisor and also as the vicarious head of the military in addition to your other aides in government sit in a state banquet in addition to the entire diplomatic delegation attached to the japanese scouting expedition.

In doing this you ensure the greatest possible level of hospitality for our guests and make this visitation by the leader of Japan of the highest solemnity. This not only would ensure that the impression on him is favourable and fitting his status, but also it would ensure that there is more ample opportunity to assess these arrivals as it pleases Your Grace."

The Prinkipas Acknowledged that he would think over this proposal, and so Agamemnon departed to the city to ensure he kept in touch with the common folk. There he saw joy at the reprieve from tithing for the next five years, but he also saw the poverty of so many people, the beggars huddling in corners pleading for food, the street urchins wandering around the streets in their rags. The City of Athens was rejoicing at its reprieve, but at the same time the city was not yet sustained at more than a subsistence level, and there was no business or wealth to speak of. The people rejoiced now for a burden on their strained existence was lifted, and their jubilation ran long into the night, but Agamemnon sighed for he knew that Athens faced a long road ahead before Athens became the beacon of light it was destined to become.

Top Bottom