Jon comes back with a vengence

I would also assume that the language in those agreements should prevent its developers from leaving Firaxis, building a competing game, and then promoting the new game by blasting on the old game.

Employees don't sign agreements requiring them to refrain from criticizing their former employers after they leave. That's very, very rare. Maybe in the context of settling some legal dispute you could come to such an agreement, that's it. But definitely not in the regular course of employment.

Noncompete clauses are also extremely rare for ordinary employees, and not even enforceable in many states.

I'm not intimately familiar with the practices of the gaming industry, but the general rule for non-competes is that they have to limited in time and scope, usually around 1 to 3 years.

That is correct.

Civ V was released long enough ago that his non-compete may have expired, if he ever had one.

That's my assumption too.

Employees don't sign agreements requiring them to refrain from criticizing their former employers after they leave.

That's not the issue here.

Noncompete clauses are also extremely rare for ordinary employees, and not even enforceable in many states.

Jon wasn't an ordinary employee.

First of all...Mr Shafer ought to make another Final Frontier's Mod--science fiction galactic based gameplay--or something similar in the upcoming expansion :)

Secondly, his essay dosn't seem to refer the many changes that G&Ks brought to the table. Not fair :p

I must admit, I didn't think Jon would be so self-critical. Let alone make it public. But after his his first massive failure as lead designer it is perhaps a necessary step to redeem himself and his future products. And we mustn't forget, the guy is still young and has a lot to learn, as he says himself. The good thing is, he shows he is willing to do so. Which is a valuable ability in itself.

In developing ATG, he seems to have recognized and eliminated many of his previous mistakes. I like what he says about diplomacy, and the unit supply feature sounds promising. He also seems to have understood why both 1UPT and global happiness don't work well in 4x games. He even has abolished social policies in favor of civics.

I'm more critical towards some other aspects he mentions however, most notably the UI, which he is "particularly proud of". This is baffeling in view of an UI that takes up several times more space and requires a lot more clicks than necessary. And calling the use of the slider "boring busy work" shows a serious lack of understanding of the entire feature, as, if anything, it makes things a lot easier.

But all in all, he seems to have learnt his lesson. It's ashame that Civ 5 had to serve as his training grounds, but after reading the article I am definitely more confident about his future releases.
I´m actually quite keen on his ideas in ATG. In fact, if he ah aplied them in Civ V the game would actually have a chance to be good.

Hey guys, just posted this over in the other thread:

Thanks for the support everyone! Civ Fanatics has been one of the biggest contributors to our campaign. :) Speaking of which, the Kickstarter ends tomorrow and we're getting close to 100k. If we keep up the current pace we have a real shot at the 125k stretch goal, which adds more map/game setup options and an Earth map.

If you haven't checked out the updates lately, here are the last few I've posted:

Tomorrow morning I'll be putting up a final update outlining what's in store for AtG over the next year and a half. It should be a fun ride!

Hopefully this game is a success and has expansions that move past the fall of rome into the Middle Ages and so forth. Hint.

Best of luck with the game. It definitely looks very promising. I'm curious to see how the end of the game plays out. Having it more difficult at the end is definitely a good idea since the biggest problem is the foregone conclusion. However, at the same time, epicness is something that people like building up to so I definitely wonder how it works with diminishing resources leading to smaller armies at the end.

It's something that I look forward to seeing, but it's still a concern that I have. Different is good, but different is also scary ;)

Top Bottom