Civilization Appropriate General and Admiral names

So when using Version 2 it will see Napoleon, and if Napoleon hasn't been registered in the XML with both a TXT_KEY name and as belonging to France, it will try to replace him with a name that is good for France, but I think it is getting stuck on step #2 since I didn't think to add-in anything for when the pre-assigned in-game name has no matching TXT_KEY_ identifier within the <Unit_UniqueNames> table.

That sounds logical. What about creating a mod that can name units such as riflemen, artillery, and cavalry units? Or names of ships, such as frigates for different civs? Is that possible?

That sounds logical. What about creating a mod that can name units such as riflemen, artillery, and cavalry units? Or names of ships, such as frigates for different civs? Is that possible?
I would think so. When you promote a unit the game allows you to give the unit a name. I once named a scout "George" in this way as a test. But it would be boat-loads of work coming up with the names for say artillery units that were specific to individual civilizations.

I like the idea of random ship naming in particular, those are the units I always name. So you can have a bunch of HMS Wotsername for England, then USS Idunno for America... Polynesian ship names could be difficult, to say nothing of Hunnic ship names! Also modders like JFD with his USA could use the same naming schemes but different actual names.

I would think so. When you promote a unit the game allows you to give the unit a name. I once named a scout "George" in this way as a test. But it would be boat-loads of work coming up with the names for say artillery units that were specific to individual civilizations.

Yes it would, but nevertheless interesting work.

I like the idea of random ship naming in particular, those are the units I always name. So you can have a bunch of HMS Wotsername for England, then USS Idunno for America... Polynesian ship names could be difficult, to say nothing of Hunnic ship names! Also modders like JFD with his USA could use the same naming schemes but different actual names.

Yes I agree ship names would be interesting. For some civs like you said some imagination would have to come into play. For the Polynesians we could use the names of islands or names of stars. They named 150 stars.

Here are some examples of star names for ships.

1.Ke Ka o Makali&#8216;i ("The Canoe-Bailer of Makali&#8216;i")
2.Iwikuamo&#8216;o ("Backbone")
3.Manaiakalani ("The Chief's Fishline")
4.Ka Lupe o Kawelo ("The Kite of Kawelo")

For the Huns we could name ships after names of kings or chieftains. For instance, we could use the Gepid kings. The Gepids were a tribe that were incorporated into the Hunnic State in the 4th century.

Here are some ship names that could be used.

Ardaric, fl. c. 454
Gunderit
Trapstila, fl. 488
Trasericus, fl. 505
Mundonus
Elemund, fl. c. 549
Thurisind, fl. 552
Cunimund, fl. 560s

The text does not show up for the general's name in game.

Only TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_NAPOLEON instead of just Napoleon. My other mod still works though. My WW2 Commanders. I am not sure why this is happening. I can't find any difference between the two in Modbuddy. Thanks for looking into this LeeS.

Now it is giving me a name but some Indian general's name or something. Weird anyway. We'll see what you make of it.

I think it is because I do not have the civs in alphabetical order. If that's the case does anyone have a pistol? HAHA!!!

Attachments

• Napoleon Era Great Generals (v 1).zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 155
The text does not show up for the general's name in game.

Only TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_NAPOLEON instead of just Napoleon. My other mod still works though. My WW2 Commanders. I am not sure why this is happening. I can't find any difference between the two in Modbuddy. Thanks for looking into this LeeS.

Now it is giving me a name but some Indian general's name or something. Weird anyway. We'll see what you make of it.

I think it is because I do not have the civs in alphabetical order. If that's the case does anyone have a pistol? HAHA!!!
Alphabetical order is not the problem. Here are the database.log errors:
Code:
[COLOR="Blue"][299561.468] columns Language, Tag are not unique
[299561.468] While executing - 'insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
[299561.468] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') with  values (TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_FERDINAND, Ferdinand, ).
[299561.468] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_en_US from file Great Generals/Text_GGenerals.xml.
[299561.468] columns Language, Tag are not unique[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"][299561.484] columns Language, Tag are not unique
[299561.484] While executing - 'insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
[299561.484] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') with  values (TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_BULL_HALSEY, William 'Bull' Halsey, ).
[299561.484] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_en_US from file Great Admirals/Text_GAdmirals.xml.
[299561.484] columns Language, Tag are not unique[/COLOR]
The Blue is:
Because you have TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_FERDINAND assigned to both Austria and Germany. This causes dump-fail of the <Language_en_US> file for the Great Generals. It doesn't cause dump-fail of the <Unit_UniqueNames> file for Great Generals because believe it or not none of the columns within <Unit_UniqueNames> actually have to be unique to all other rows. But this will cause odd or otherwise troublesome behavior with the assigning of Great Generals to Austria and Germany, I would think.​
The problem in Red:
you probably haven't gotten to yet, but is caused by repeating the Admiral TXT_KEY names I already have in my mod and that are still living within the <Language_en_US> table. Remember that you are not deleting the stuff in <Langauge_en_US> that came from my mod because of the extra amount of code required. This was also one of the reasons why you are putting the "_NKM_" in your great people names.​

Alphabetical order is not the problem. Here are the database.log errors:
Code:
[COLOR="Blue"][299561.468] columns Language, Tag are not unique
[299561.468] While executing - 'insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
[299561.468] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') with  values (TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_FERDINAND, Ferdinand, ).
[299561.468] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_en_US from file Great Generals/Text_GGenerals.xml.
[299561.468] columns Language, Tag are not unique[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"][299561.484] columns Language, Tag are not unique
[299561.484] While executing - 'insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
[299561.484] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') with  values (TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_BULL_HALSEY, William 'Bull' Halsey, ).
[299561.484] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_en_US from file Great Admirals/Text_GAdmirals.xml.
[299561.484] columns Language, Tag are not unique[/COLOR]
The Blue is:
Because you have TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_FERDINAND assigned to both Austria and Germany. This causes dump-fail of the <Language_en_US> file for the Great Generals. It doesn't cause dump-fail of the <Unit_UniqueNames> file for Great Generals because believe it or not none of the columns within <Unit_UniqueNames> actually have to be unique to all other rows. But this will cause odd or otherwise troublesome behavior with the assigning of Great Generals to Austria and Germany, I would think.​
The problem in Red:
you probably haven't gotten to yet, but is caused by repeating the Admiral TXT_KEY names I already have in my mod and that are still living within the <Language_en_US> table. Remember that you are not deleting the stuff in <Langauge_en_US> that came from my mod because of the extra amount of code required. This was also one of the reasons why you are putting the "_NKM_" in your great people names.​

So if I change Ferdinand to Prince Ferdinand, will that take care of it? And can I delete my admiral folders? I have not added admirals and do not need too for this mod.

Okay it worked. I deleted the admirals, because I don't need them. All set thank you LeeS.

Will this be updated to include other Great People?
I seem to recall you saying there was no way to assign specific Great Works to specific names, which is definitely not true.
You are confusing what can be done in XML with what is available in lua.

The issue has to do with the way the Great People are spawned by the game. The hidden game code adds the great work for Person X (as defined in the Unit_UniqueNames table), but the choice of Great Person name from within the list defined in Unit_UniqueNames is entirely random. As a modder who cannot do dll, I have to wait for that unit spawning to occur. Only then can I compare the name the game's internal code picked with the list I have made for Civilization_X, and substitute a new great person name that is correct for Civilization_X according to the list I have added to the Unit_UniqueNames table.

Here is the rub: there is no lua method to control the great work assigned to a particular great person. We have no Unit:SetGreatWorkName() or anything like it available to us from within lua. There is only Unit:SetName(), which for Artists, Musicians, and Writers does not carry with it the great work assigned to GreatPerson_X as registered within the Unit_UniqueNames table. What you get is the desired Great Person name (from doing Unit:SetName()) with a randomly-selected Great Work name.

See this thread. It was not clear to me from that short conversation whether it would even be possible with a custom DLL.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far as to whether I have plans to expand to other great people types: not in any forseeable future. I have however built the lua of the mod so that it will be pretty easy (lua-wise) for someone else to borrow my code and activate doing this for Great Scientists or Great Engineers or Great Prophets. And if anyone can ever figure a work-around of the Great Works issue I encountered, the lua is also mostly ready to deal with Writers, Artist, and Musicians.

The real work is in generating a robust list of Scientists, Engineers, etc., specific to individual civilizations. I spent far more time on that for Great Generals and Admirals than I did on making the lua code. And I still have not "finished" the listing of Admiral names, really.

...Geez. This game just has so many "oh no, you can't mod that" pieces showing up all over the place... mountains, invisibility, unit effects, terrain features, and now Great Works.
Thanks for clearing that up, as I was getting seriously confused from reading the code in the Civ5 directory, and then reading this thread saying you can't assign Great Works.
I can't imagine there are a lot of Great Admiral names available for Songhai. I suppose you could always start using names of literary characters or something.

Great Admiral for Indonesia: Keumalahayati
Thx. I've added her name to the Indonesian Admirals list for the next time I release an update.

Probably I need to place a higher priority on getting back to updating this mod. Just that the amount of work to create the original version of the mod was such a huge mountain, I cringe every time I think about looking back through the list of Admirals I've been slowly putting together for an update.

I've read through the thread a while ago, but can't remember if it has been asked. Would it be possible to easily expand upon the idea to also include merchants and scientists?

I've read through the thread a while ago, but can't remember if it has been asked. Would it be possible to easily expand upon the idea to also include merchants and scientists?
Yup, this from post #50:
So far as to whether I have plans to expand to other great people types: not in any forseeable future. I have however built the lua of the mod so that it will be pretty easy (lua-wise) for someone else to borrow my code and activate doing this for Great Scientists or Great Engineers or Great Prophets. And if anyone can ever figure a work-around of the Great Works issue I encountered, the lua is also mostly ready to deal with Writers, Artist, and Musicians.

The real work is in generating a robust list of Scientists, Engineers, etc., specific to individual civilizations. I spent far more time on that for Great Generals and Admirals than I did on making the lua code. And I still have not "finished" the listing of Admiral names, really.
If you are interested in doing Great Merchants and/or Great Scientists you are quite welcome to use the lua code to handle the "heavy-lifting" of what is required in lua. See towards the bottom of Post #9 for further info on what would be needed. And if not sure what ModBuddy settings are required for each of the files, refer to this mod's CIV-Linked Great Generals (v 2).modinfo file, which is just a text file that can be opened in Notepad or what-have-you, and whoward69's what ModBuddy setting for what file types tutorial for exact steps on inserting these instructions within ModBuddy.

Updated the mod to solve potential mod conflict issues with other mods that are using the same methods to save their data. Thanks to DarkScythe for working out a method to cure the issue. The issue was that when two or more mods were using Pazyryk's table data saving method, only the final mod to be loaded by the game would be able to save its data.

I keep getting a render error when using this mod. After checking all the mods I use one by one this one caused the error.

Mods I am using info addict, smart AI, R.E.D. Modpack, my own WWII Europe mod I created. Now the interesting thing is that your mod worked with my earlier versions of my mod, so I don't understand why it wouldn't work now. I have updated to v. 6.

This is the error that occurs when I try to load the great generals mod.

[63990.892] DBG: FGXRenderer11::present failed hr=DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Driver failure

This is from my asserts log.

I got this from the CustomMods log. The happy face is Di. Let me know if you need me to look at a certain log.

<Defines>: CITY_UNIT_LIMIT = 1
<Defines>: MAX_CITY_ATTACK_RANGE = 2
<Defines>: PLOT_INFLUENCE_COST_VISIBLE_DIVISOR = 5
<Defines>: PROMOTION_FLAGSHIP = 0
CvStartPositioner::DivideMapIntoRegions(22)
CvStartPositioner::ComputeFoundValues()
CvStartPositioner::RankPlayerStartOrder()
CvStartPositioner::AssignStartingLocations()
CvStartPositioner::StartingPlotRange() = 28
CvStartPositioner::StartingPlotRange() = 28
Pick'N'Mix BNW DLL - Shutdown

I don't understand how my mod could possibly cause a render error of any kind as there's no artwork of any kind included within it. I'll re-check that the current version of my mod is not causing problems for me, but so far I've never had any troubles. Checked, no problems of any kind.

Now the interesting thing is that your mod worked with my earlier versions of my mod
Ummm......Have you disabled your scenario mod and run my mod without it?
[63990.892] DBG: FGXRenderer11::present failed hr=DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Driver failure
Drivers are generally the software that talks between hardware devices and the rest of the computer.

I'm not a software engineer or really much of a computer expert so take the following with a largish dollop of "grain of salt", but it concerns me that you are getting an error like this. If it were me I'd back up any critical data you have on your computer to a thumb drive or a CD. On most windows systems there's a check your hardware for problems wizard hidden somewhere or other. I'd find that and run it to make sure the error message you are getting is not a meaningless CIV5 error. IE, you may actually have a hardware issue that started coincidental to updating to the latest version of my mod.

Before going to all that trouble, though, try re-downloading the most recent version. Perhaps a wierd corruption occured during the download of my mod. I will also check on my end that the download version posted here on the forum is working correctly for me, but I may not be able to get to it until sometime this afternoon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[edit]
I had my schedule for the day re-arranged on me so I was able to check the version of the mod available here on the forum downloads. It is working fine for me, so I can't say what the problem would be.

I don't understand how my mod could possibly cause a render error of any kind as there's no artwork of any kind included within it. I'll re-check that the current version of my mod is not causing problems for me, but so far I've never had any troubles. Checked, no problems of any kind.
I'll re download your mod and let you know. Maybe I also need a clean install of civ 5. Who knows why these things happen. All I know is they are annoying.

Alright, your mod and my mod are conflicting for some reason. Your mod works by itself, but not with my mod. I am not sure what is going on but here is the updated version of my mod. I also tried your forum download and steam, neither work with it. I tried your mod with an older version of my mod it did not work either. Maybe you could send me an earlier version of your mod and see if that loads. If it is my mod that is the cause. I don't know what it could be, because your mod did work before.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/24847512/WWIIEuropeNew+%28v+3%29.zip

I am going to look at some video card options to. Recently I downloaded a new driver and it has run perfectly. There is a suggestion thread in the forums which could help with my civ 5 video options. I'll look into it. It does occur when my mod and yours are active. The game never loads past the map leader screen. I have re downloaded my drivers. Everything running smooth. Oh and I tried v. 2 of your mod that did not work with mine either.

Last night I updated my map. I added some iron to Germany and pre placed some wonders in cities. Brandenburg Gate to Berlin, Kremlin to Moscow etc. That is all I did. In my mod xml file I changed the cost to some techs. Nothing to do with artwork at all. So, I don't understand what could have gone wrong. Unless their is a problem with worldbuilder. I re did the build twice. It seems to be fine. In the meantime I will playtest and see if any other errors occur.

Top Bottom