Life After Arillery

Hi all, I'm playing as Mongolia, just researched artillery (I beelined), and am going for a Domination Victory. Everything is set up pretty well, but I'm unsure of what tech to focus on next.

I should be stealing Industrialization in a few turns, and I'm thinking of going for flight then ballistics. Hopefully, the game doesn't last much past that.

Is this the optimal warmongering path after artillery?

Depending on the map type, after beelining keshiks, I then beeline Navigation to go take the next continent with frigates (while shipping the keshiks over to take any inland capitols).

somewhat offtopic, but this thread reminds me how different it is to play vs smart humans compared to playing vs the ai, especially when it comes to teching towards key military techs.

get schools if you don't have already.

op sounds like going artie before schools. i remember moriarte dominating like that, so i assume its a legitimate path to take in singleplayer games. In multiplayer it is considered a "no no". In the overwhelming majority of cases artie before schools will result (besides killing someone) in a science setback than can not be overcome. There are exeptions tho.

after beelining keshiks, I then beeline Navigation to go take the next continent with frigates

against humans with this techorder he would most probably not take anything on the other continent and have a good chance to be killed.

It would be a nice dilemma: having a gamebreaking uu on your continent at knight tech and at the same time being forced to hurry with the navy. With a vulnerable coast i would probably rush frigates, with good land even without workshops, to have a defense ready or take someone out, depending on what the caravels find.

But Camels and to some extend keshiks stay very strong for quite some time, so rushing navigation (oxfording it may be worth it?!) and then still launching a successful attack against the continent may still be possible.

With a defendible coast as arabia or mongols i would maybe risk it to go camels/keshiks first. In a case of emergency these guys can defend coastals pretty well.

Hi all, I'm playing as Mongolia, just researched artillery (I beelined), and am going for a Domination Victory. Everything is set up pretty well, but I'm unsure of what tech to focus on next.

I should be stealing Industrialization in a few turns, and I'm thinking of going for flight then ballistics. Hopefully, the game doesn't last much past that.

Is this the optimal warmongering path after artillery?

There's a few key techs that you should take after artillery, yes you should be aiming for flight, but flight itself is pointless if you don't research biology first. And sometimes you also need Refrigeration if you don't have enough oil on land but a lot on sea in your territory.
Moreover getting to those research labs is immensely useful for drastically improve your science output.

So in the end it's a bit situational I generally try to aim for plastic first if I don't think my opponents have or are close to flight, else I try to get flight asap and all the oil that I can.

op sounds like going artie before schools. i remember moriarte dominating like that, so i assume its a legitimate path to take in singleplayer games. In multiplayer it is considered a "no no". In the overwhelming majority of cases artie before schools will result (besides killing someone) in a science setback than can not be overcome. There are exeptions tho.

Well in MP a lot of it has to do with the fact that games are mostly played on quick.

There's a few key techs that you should take after artillery, yes you should be aiming for flight, but flight itself is pointless if you don't research biology first. And sometimes you also need Refrigeration if you don't have enough oil on land but a lot on sea in your territory.
Moreover getting to those research labs is immensely useful for drastically improve your science output.

So in the end it's a bit situational I generally try to aim for plastic first if I don't think my opponents have or are close to flight, else I try to get flight asap and all the oil that I can.

My thoughts in the OP were that I was either going to be able to steal the top half of the tech tree with my lonely 2 spies (meaning Biology), or I wasn't. I was less concerned with getting airplanes up, than I was with Anit-air units. I assumed I'd have spammed as many Artillery as I could and upgraded my Keshiks, so my only threat was being strafed.

So my question is, given the above and the fact that I'm all-in on Domination this game, is beelining that path workable? I did ask optimal originally, but I'm wondering if it is close to workable?

I assumed some others would beat me to flight…..just wanted to be able to not be slowed down by the strafing too much.

I can't really see how one goes from Keshik-wars to…..whatever…..any other way.

Maybe beelining Artillery isn't such a good idea?

There some very important details though

How many opponents are left for you to kill?
What military (inc techs) do they have?
Your cities? (spamming enough low tech units can work)

If you use Artillery and Cavs in mp games make sure to finish the job with them...or the Plastic tech guy will laugh at you...unless you litterally surround him.

There some very important details though

How many opponents are left for you to kill?
What military (inc techs) do they have?
Your cities? (spamming enough low tech units can work)

I took out 2 early, but got slowed down by terrain (mountains, hills, and strangle points), and I was dumb and split my Keshiks into 2 forces.

Poland was #1 in tech, had W-hussars and muskets early and the first Tri-plane just showed up (this is not good).

I have 4 decent expos and 3 annexed cities, so production is pretty good.

If you use Artillery and Cavs in mp games make sure to finish the job with them...or the Plastic tech guy will laugh at you...unless you litterally surround him.

Problem with that is Poland has planes. Time to make peace and see how far artillery can get me elsewhere. Also, my GPT is poor and it will take awhile to upgrade all Keshiks.

Top Bottom