Do I have Wonder Addiction?

Ansar

Détente avec l'été
I always manage to build every AA wonder except ToA and The Oracle and sometimes the The Hanging Gardens or the MoM, but that doesent make me quit the game, I still build wonders in the ancient age, so is this a case of wonder addiction? Bulding most AA wonders? :sad:

Well, which difficulty level are you playing? When I think of building a wonder, I think, how many swordsmen or cavalry or whatever I could have for that amount of shields? And usually I just build those units.

I think this whole wonder addiction thing is overstated, what's so bad about building wonders? Admittedly most of them are much better captured, as it is often unduly wasteful of shields to build them yourself.

Building the Great Library is a fairly standard play on Sid, and there are lots of situations in which a Great Lighthouse build is correct. Building the Colossus is often good play. There are even situations where self building the pyramids is correct :crazyeye: .

As the game goes on it makes even more sense to build wonders, unless the game really has reached its final military phase.

I can't think why you would build all the wonders yourself unless you are trying for a 20k culture win on a very low level.

I think that unless you are playing particularly agressively, wonders tend to be a good thing to build yourself. Taking them from your opponent doesn't yield you the cultural benefits of having a wonder.

In my games, I tend to avoid wonder building in the early stages in favour of rapid expansion (settler and worker building). However, once most of the available territory has been settled, if invading your neighbours isn't your number one priority, building wonders is good.

I think the only three wonders that I would lose the game if I didn't have at least one of these is: Smith Trading company, Theory of Evolution, and Hoover

Just play at Demi or higher and you will not have to build so many wonders. If you are able to build most of the AA wonders and play peacefully, it is not an addiction.

If you want to put the shields into conquest, you can win sooner.

Sun Tzu and pyramids are awesome on pangea..and the great lighthouse is good on archipelagos. The colossus is good if you can get it where al of the 12 squares are land except the one to build it, so you can maximize the gold double-ness.
What I'm saying is that alot of the aa wonders are good in the correct situations...

Wonders are very good, but a waste of shields if not specific ones, I always go for GL just because even if I have a tech lead, I don't want anyone catching up, & if I don't, that's self explanatory, however, as for the other acient age wonders, they are valuable depening on your map & you location, it is never nessicary to build all the wonders when you could be building religion, science or military. Also I would never build the Great wall unless the AI beat you to a wonder & you must switch production & the GW is one turn away. Just be wise, b/c Military & Culture will prevail over wonders that will just go out soon anyways.

Except for the GL, the AA wonders are not a good deal to build yourself. Would you rather spend 400 shields and have the Pyramids or have 13 swordsmen? With less than 13 swordsmen I can have both. :evil:

I think you can make a good case that the GL is not all that usefull on many of the levels and maps.

If low levels, you will have to keep researching anyway as the AI is too slow. Deity I find that it is not much either as it has a very short life span. About the only standard game I like it is Sid.

It can be worthwhile in variant games, if allowed.

I find that I build a lot of city improvements when I do not want to take the time or effort to beat the snot out of my neighbors. And I tend to be a builder. For a few turns/hours I am content to coast along, using the treasury to build temples and libraries out in the boondocks. My 'normal' pattern so far is to expand rapidly, then settle back and build up and finally slaughter those of different colors in just a few turns.
(Sort of like The Three Musketeers or The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Great intro and opening sequence, a rather long, slow build up and moving of characters and then an explosive finish.)

If you like to build wonders then build wonders. I build them as needed. I also set the city governor to NOT build wonders, large or small.

The trade off is that you could be expanding while you are building.

Rather, my trade off is that I could be expanding instead of building.

Expanding is more fun.

I play as the egytians and i build the pyramids for a peaceful golden age. Then i might build the great libary if i am lucky

crazyluke2001 said:
Well, which difficulty level are you playing? When I think of building a wonder, I think, how many swordsmen or cavalry or whatever I could have for that amount of shields? And usually I just build those units.
If you forego some swordsmen in order to get the Colossus, the extra commerce could help you research better troops sooner--and then pay their salaries once those better troops are serving in your armed forces.

Or you could build the Pyramids and get your cities growing twice as fast, and building settlers twice as fast.....which means more cities, to build more troops.....

It's all part of the ongoing tug-of-war between military and economy.

Wonders are great if you can get them (that is, if you can get one that will actually do you some good in your current game situation). Don't depend on getting them, but do be prepared to sieze the opportunity if it presents itself.

Stylesjl said:
I play as the egytians and i build the pyramids for a peaceful golden age. Then i might build the great libary if i am lucky
This is a peacefull GA but with limited number of cities and probably under despotisme -> it's wasted.
Up from Demi-God, you don't need to build any wonder. Just go and capture it, that's better. Of course it depends on the VC you're going for. I'm actually in a histographic/milking serie so quite a few wonders are needed. And I'm trying to keep my GA for communism. That's so powerfull with half the land, under communism!
On topic, yes, definitely. But don't worry, doctors say this can be cured, just a few piles of higher difficulty should do...

Top Bottom