Rhye's Catapult

Yarr, Rhye, like we know whats possible :p

That said, hope the operation goes well! And make sure they put that leftover valium in a doggy bag for lata!

Hey Rhye, I'm one of your fans. I really enjoyed your mod for civ 3, and am looking forward to seeing what all you do with civ 4. I wasn't going to post, but i noticed that you said you had to have an operation, and i wanted to wish you well on that.

After playing civ 2 today, I have another couple of suggestions.

First of all, how about a "Fanatic" unit (Make it something generic, such as a guy with a hooded cloak)? It would require "Theocracey" to build the unit (which I know can be done), and would need no Maintanence if under the Civic "Theocracey" (Which I'm not sure how to do... Should'nt require much, though...)

The 2nd idea I had was concerning my all-time favourite civ unit, the Partisan. The idea is quite simple, if you look at it at the point of working sort of with the fall of civs, in which a city gets captured, after a tech, for example, "Nationalism" has been discovered, "Partisan" units get spawned surrounding the city, the number of which is based on the number of people in the city (So, if the city is a town, it could be 1-2 Partisans, if it is a city it could be 2-3 Partisans, and if it is a Metropolis, then 3-4 Partisans are created). My guess is the coding could work the same way as Barbarians are spawned when there is a "fall" of a civ.

Oh, and good luck, Rhye!!

<looks left>

<looks right>

<cough>

<cough>

The patch is here, but Rhye is not!

<runs off screaming!>

sorry I didn't know it was already out!

Here it is

What should you do now?

I'd like to know:

1 - if rise and fall of civs work correctly according to what's written in RhyesOfCiv.py (you'll have to familiarise with the contents of that file sooner or later). You should set
CheatCode = chipotle
in CivilizationIV.ini if you haven't already, and then use debug mode to check (CTRL+Z)
2 - the average distance from the capital to the surrounding cities AI founds (see my post below)
3 - if any python exception occurs: you have to set in CivilizationIV.ini
HidePythonExceptions = 0
and
ShowPythonDebugMsgs = 1
4 - if you like the map, the terrain graphics, the flags etc.

:lol:

First game and I have a warrior and settler standing in the ocean! :confused:

They are a long ways from my other starting units as well!

edit - I did accidentally start in the 2nd era, but other than give me more units I don't see why Spain would start with people walking on water. :D

Super dumb question since I haven't read the entire thread....what map do we use? I see a PrivateMaps folder within your mod, but did any new maps get placed into the PublicMaps folder?

Super dumb on my part! Thanks Rhye. I'm so used to Custom Game I didn't even think. :blush:

No python errors that I noticed so far...

<crosses fingers>

Gee, I hope I can run this scenario! DL ahoy!

K, all services stopped on my machine, lets see how much testing I can do before it melts :p

I was wondering if you scaled the spawn times and techs of the spawning nations based on game speed, because it seemed to me that nations were spawning really early on an epic speed and with a whole mess of nifty stuff that I hadn't even researched the prereqs for, and I was the most advanced of all of the nations founded at 4000 BC. Of course it might have just been a fluke, I have only had time to try one game and didn't even go all the way through, but that's what it seemed like to me.

France spawned in 450 AD with feudalism metal casting, theology and became the christian holy city with a bunch of longbowmen while the rest of us were working with archers. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Also, since the SDK is out is there any way we can make the AI give more preference to coastal tiles. Its really annoying to see the AI found a city one tile aay from the coast simply to get a single resource. And on your map the resources are placed to encourage that, or so it seems, Germany China and Rome all did this with two of their cities.

Overall the rise and fall seemed to work pretty well. My only problem with it is the rise is a 'BAM were here now!' which makes sense, and the fall is a 'BAM! were gone now!' which I don't like, I think the falls should be more gradual, like after a certain time start revolting single cities until the Empire has fallen. But that's just me.

After all, Rome wasn't built in a day, and it sure as heck didn't fall in a day either.

Virote_Considon said:
After playing civ 2 today, I have another couple of suggestions.

First of all, how about a "Fanatic" unit (Make it something generic, such as a guy with a hooded cloak)? It would require "Theocracey" to build the unit (which I know can be done), and would need no Maintanence if under the Civic "Theocracey" (Which I'm not sure how to do... Should'nt require much, though...)

The 2nd idea I had was concerning my all-time favourite civ unit, the Partisan. The idea is quite simple, if you look at it at the point of working sort of with the fall of civs, in which a city gets captured, after a tech, for example, "Nationalism" has been discovered, "Partisan" units get spawned surrounding the city, the number of which is based on the number of people in the city (So, if the city is a town, it could be 1-2 Partisans, if it is a city it could be 2-3 Partisans, and if it is a Metropolis, then 3-4 Partisans are created). My guess is the coding could work the same way as Barbarians are spawned when there is a "fall" of a civ.

Oh, and good luck, Rhye!!

I especially like the Partisan idea.
It's always been on my mind, as it was added in RoCX.
Now there is no user-made unit that I'm aware of that may fit the purpose.

But by the time we'll start working on the expanded mod i'm sure there'll be!

I've played a little today. I like the graphics and the overall feeling. I didnt play too late but I noticed persia appears in different places every game. Also, i played with china and place a city in mongolia. when mongolia kicked in this city was taken by them which is fine- but it had no garrison so i simply took it back one turn later. Also i had a wandering warrior next to greece just when it collapsed, so i just took it. maybe give a weak garrison to these barbarians cities?

Rhye said:
I'm investigating on AI found ranges.
I will try to tweak it, and get rid of Siberian colonization for ever! (I could drive Spanish AI to south America, England AI to Australia, etc.!!!)
This could really lead to some amazing things if you got it to work right. Both for this mod and for others. Please keep us posted.

I'm about to start a game as the English now, just to let you know.

Top Bottom