Earth 18 civs... something you don't see everyday

Chris14

Chieftain
Okay, so I was playing the Earth 18 Civ scenario (I love it, so much fun to re-enact history in your own alternate way!) and decided I would play as Isabella. In my past games on this scenario, Issy was always last or next to last and founded buddhism in Madrid (her only city) each and every time. I set out to change history. I began on the usual path, starting research with Meditation and sent out my warrior exploring. I tried to slip past Rome before his border's popped but got forced back to be stuck sandwiched between Louis (France) and Rome. I was a bit miffed then, so said "Hey, what the hell" and I declared war on Louis IV with my lone warrior. Of course, Louis had a warrior fortifying in his city, and I had a ~5% chance of winning. Lo and behold:

I was shocked. I had broken Issy's losing streak. Buddhism was then founded in Paris, and I built the Oracle, got Iron working, Invaded Rome and built the Mahadabodhi and had a pretty good game going. Unfortunately, Julius Caesar and his salad-fed praetorians then stacked up on my borders and Mali and China also declared war. I began to fall behind in score and lose interest in the game... but it just goes to show that sometimes, taking the risk is worth it (at least in the short run!)

Nice! Although I doubt you would have continued to do quite well in the very likely event that your warrior had died.

The Spanish start position in this map is dire. From that screenshot I can see there is at least one tile in the Iberian peninsula which cannot be worked by Madrid, and the closest site for a second city is the other side of the Pyrenees! If you try it again, I think settling your first city at the very top left of Iberia is the best thing to do - if i remember rightly there's a fish resource there which can never be worked when you settle Madrid in place! This, I am fairly sure, is why the AI is always far behind when it controls Spain.

In the 30 Civ map, Europe is insanely overcrowded. It's interesting, though. I played as China, so I was, for the most part, free from Europes petty squabbles. I've never seen the AI wipe out so many of it's own! What astounded me even more was my second target, Korea after the pesky Mongols fell, wiped out India in the very early BCs. It was quite interesting...

That game was a blast, I'm going to have to play that map again soon.

The start city for Isabella is horrid place to start the Spanish knowing the mechanics of the game. With no ability to colonize Northwest Africa, without massive open border agreements with at least one hostile religion to block their path, Spain never gets very far on that map.

In the 30 Civ map, Europe is insanely overcrowded. It's interesting, though. I played as China, so I was, for the most part, free from Europes petty squabbles. I've never seen the AI wipe out so many of it's own! What astounded me even more was my second target, Korea after the pesky Mongols fell, wiped out India in the very early BCs. It was quite interesting...

That game was a blast, I'm going to have to play that map again soon.

Where can this 30 Civ map be found? I'd love to play it.

Where can this 30 Civ map be found? I'd love to play it.

I don't have a link, but it should be hovering somewhere on the front page of the Mod forum. The only thing I hate about it is how it, for whatever reason, only shows half of the leaders names. E.g. Montezuma is just Zuma, Bismark is just Otto, Darius is just Dar. It bugs me :p

I don't have a link, but it should be hovering somewhere on the front page of the Mod forum. The only thing I hate about it is how it, for whatever reason, only shows half of the leaders names. E.g. Montezuma is just Zuma, Bismark is just Otto, Darius is just Dar. It bugs me
I've modified that map in my Wolfshanze v2.2 Mod (i'm about to upload).

I'll be re-releasing the Earth 34-Civ map with FULL LENGTH NAMES, Hitler for Germany and a few minor map tweaks (Andes Mountains no-longer impassible, Panama isthmus now traversable to/from South/Central America & Hawaiian Islands now inhabitable).

I've modified that map in my Wolfshanze v2.2 Mod (i'm about to upload).

I'll be re-releasing the Earth 34-Civ map with FULL LENGTH NAMES, Hitler for Germany and a few minor map tweaks (Andes Mountains no-longer impassible, Panama isthmus now traversable to/from South/Central America & Hawaiian Islands now inhabitable).

Great. I'll look out for it. How soon will it be ready?

Great. I'll look out for it. How soon will it be ready?
Probably about 30 minutes. I'm uploading Wolfshanze Mod v2.2 right now. The revamped 34-Civ Earth Map is included with my mod now and (of course) fully compatible (ethnically diverse units, Hitler, etc, etc).

I'm mad with that original 34-civ Earth map... it took me several hours of play-time into the game before I realized that all the names were cut in-half (somebody was getting cute, and I wasn't laughing).

I fixed it for any new map-start, but unfortunately my own save game (which I'm still playing) i'm stuck with half-names! Grrrr!

Okay... it's done... for anyone wanting to check-out a 34-Civ version of the original Civ4 Earth Map, including FULL LEADER NAME SUPPORT, and included ethnic diversity, Check this out.

I'm checking that out too, Wolf, thanky.

No problem... it really bugged me with those "cutesy" names... "Zuma" is "Montezuma"... "Dar" is "Darius"... "Wang" is... well... just a bit too imature for me. I just had to spell-out the names... it was driving me nuts!

:mad:

Top Bottom