Does a Courthouse eliminate all unhappiness from annexation?

historix69

Emperor
In my current game (no mods, huge map) I use the City-List to check happiness and unhappiness. (I am at +40 happiness so I usually would not check this list.)

I have Forbidden Palace and Meritocracy, so normal unhappiness per city is 0,85 x Pop + 1,8.

I conquered 4 cities recently and annexed 2 of them and left the other 2 as puppets. I built courthouses in the annexed cities Madrid and Sevilla.

Unhappiness according to the City-List (Economic/Happiness overview) :
Madrid (11 pop, annexed, courthouse) 17,74 (= 11 x 1,34 + 3)
Sevilla (8 pop, annexed, courthouse) 13,72 (= 8 x 1,34 + 3)
Cordoba (5 pop, puppet) 6,05 (= 5 x 0,85 + 1,8)
Barcelona (6 pop, puppet) 6,9 (= 6 x 0,85 + 1,8)

I always thought that a courthouse would transform an annexed city into a "normal" city at the cost of 4 GpT. According to the detailed "Unhappiness per City" list it does not. However the short unhappiness summary lists just
13 cities : 23,4 (= 13 x 1,8)
120 pop : 102 (= 120 x 0,85)
Total happiness = 165 - 125 = 40
so according to the short summary the courthouses should work and the detailed per City calculation is wrong. Does anybody know if this is a confirmed bug?

Meritocracy and FP both work on annexed cities with courthouses. They don't work on puppets or annexed cities without courthouses (occupied).

The resources & happiness city breakdown amounts display unhappiness unmodified by the presence of courthouses. You'll notice that adding up the totals in the city breakdown will always equal more than your actual total happiness displayed at the top of the unhappiness column (should you have annexed cities with courthouses).

Meritocracy and FP both work on annexed cities with courthouses. They don't work on puppets or annexed cities without courthouses (occupied).

Are you sure? I think they do work on puppets, and the numbers in OP seem to confirm this.

Well there is something buggy with courthouses...I have both forbidden palace and merotocracy.. My happiness is 6, when I annex my happiness drops to 0, Then I build courhouse and my happiness increases to 6. Same happens with different size of cities. Total happiness is always same. I can annex 5 cities in same turn and purchase courthouses in all of them. Happiness stays the same.
Shouldnt city with courthouse give less unhappiness than puppeted city?

Puppet gives same unhappiness as a city with courthouse, nothing special about that. It's only annexed cities without courthouse that is hit by the extra unhappiness. 5 per city, and around 1.3 per citizen. I think OP is basically a bug but I haven't figure out why the end value is correct but the unhappiness in the happiness tab isnt.

Shouldnt city with courthouse give less unhappiness than puppeted city?
No. Not unless you get the 2nd level Autocracy tenet that gives that buff. That tenet is very strong!

I think OP is basically a bug but I haven't figure out why the end value is correct but the unhappiness in the happiness tab isnt.
Thanks for taking the time checking out the math!

What you see in the top ribbon of the UI for your overall happiness 'score' is directly grabbed from the dll and gamecore via lua method Player:GetExcessHappiness() which is calculated and reported to the lua API seperetely from all the other methods for player happiness from this, player unhappiness from that, etc.

The economic overview showing happiness breakdowns from x, y, or z are flawed in many ways, as is the breakdown of happiness/unhappiness from the hover pop-up you get when you mouse over your top ribbon happiness score.

Everything you see in-game in the top ribbon and in any of the panels that pop-up when you click for Military OverView, Economic Overview, etc., are created in realtime by lua files specifically written to handle and manage the data and place it correctly within the pop-up panel. And in many cases the data shown is not directly taken from the data in the game-core: the data is taken from the gamecore, then manipulated in some way by adding it together with other data, and then the result is displayed. This method leads to some modifiers not being considered in some of the pop-up panels, and in some cases those wierd negative values people get for a few turns that then 'go away' all by themselves -- or you get data that is impossible to reconcile between two different portions of the same panel. The happiness displays are infamous for this later, helped along to a large degree IMO by the differences in local and global happiness, and how these are applied by differing game mechanics but not reported always in the same way to the various lua API methods for looking at components of a player's happiness.

Spoiler :
If you want an exercise in PleaseJustShootMeNowAndSpareMeTheHeadache try to examine one of these lua UI-panel control files and parse what it is they are doing at any given point in the code. :wallbash: :wallbash: :badcomp: :aargh: :wallbash: :hammer2: :wallbash:

There's a reason why file AssignStartingPlots.lua is considered a curseword among mod-makers, and the other UI files aren't much better.

Top Bottom