Industrial Espionage

@BM: Already using Subliminal Messaging, and couldn't think where to fit the others in. :)

@Vuldacon: Great stuff! Managed to use one of the extra Corporation ones as "Recruitment Policy" as well! :goodjob:

Also, the Alt-Corporation and Corporate Management techs, what did you use as a base? Because their design/color scheme/etc. would be exactly what I'd be looking to make the interface like when I get around to that!

So here are the alternative dogtraining icons and a try for paternalism.

Attachments

• paternalism_preview.png
    paternalism_preview.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 106
  • dogtraining2_preview.png
    dogtraining2_preview.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 101
  • dogtraining3_preview.png
    dogtraining3_preview.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 129
  • dogtraining_alt.zip
    77.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Paternalism.zip
    44.3 KB · Views: 92
@Samez: That Paternalism is perfect, thanks! :goodjob: As is the more aggressive Dog Training icon. Though I want to find somewhere to fir at least the original you made in :lol:
Currently I'm working on the map. I've swapped the terrain out for Balthasar's Manhattan terrain, with a few of the updates used in the Super Civ scenario as well. Like that scenario, I'm also using Grassland as settleable city-spots, with the ruins advertising their location (couldn't have thought of a more brilliant idea myself!)

Because I want to play as I go along, I've set a load of starting locations around the city and made most civs randomly spawn. I like this and may keep it in if feasible.

Currently, there are two main "parts" to the map. The first is the Commercial hub of the city - the downtown district, if you will. The second is the more-closed off industrial district. I'm thinking of somewhat separating the suburbs I add to give the city a kind of Cold-War-Era World-Systems feel, and the suburbs shall be fairly impoverished (i.e. not really prime real estate for the bigger companies), though I'm undecided. The two parts of the map connect onto each other fine, but the only roads between them are separated. First, there's the motorway (ignore the randomized resource):

The LM "Streets" splitting the two parts can't be roaded, and will have a resource on top perhaps signifying a toll booth. May have increased movement costs, although since the terrain itself is used liberally, may not be a good idea. Wheeled units can, however, cross this part of the motorway.

Then what will become the airport:

There is room for a city on both its industrial and commercial side - with large money-making opportunities to be had on both!

Dotted around the map are numerous alleyways:

Having access to even one of the entrances could also give you access to the hidden resources or city locations within. Having access to two or more of the entrances, and you've got a potential shortcut and safe haven from enemy vehicles.

Finally, there's the port:

Like the airport, the port splits off into both industrial and commercial facilities, although unlike the airport, there are significantly more port facilities available so everyone has a chance to grab one.

@BM: Already using Subliminal Messaging, and couldn't think where to fit the others in. :)
Glad to hear that Slack has some use in Industrial Espionage. If you want any more Subgenius or Schwa style tech icons the raw files are already on the hard drive. & plenty of scannable material on the shelf.

Well, I've started the arduous task of putting resources down, whilst simultaneously still working on the map. The first place to be fully "resourced" out is the new army base:

There are going to be several of these dotted about - this army base, a naval base and an airforce base at least. I might also try and fit in a separate paratrooper base and maybe a marine base as well if I can fit them in using the current resource setup. All will start in the hands of the authorities, and will allow their respective units to be made.

They all look excellent!
The first World-Renowned Brand will do,
I'm undecided on which Recreation, they're both pretty marvelous!
Love the Falling Down reference! Will have to make a William Foster unit at some point perhaps :hmm:

So that's the first one, either one of the next line, and both of the last line? :D

I love it. Blu has a real eye for tech design, I've always thought so.
Thanks. Had to develop an eye for composition since I can't draw but can CnP like a fiend. Studying visual semiotics definitely molded that as well.

Reinstalling CivIII

This looks so cool....

Blimey, I haven't posted here since October 2011!

Well, the good news is that I am still working on this project :D

The map is still very much "under construction", but currently I've expanded the commercial district and re-imagined the WIP Industrial District.

Here's a look at the trendy square and new, upcoming TV studio:

Not far from this is the powerful Financial District:

A shopping centre next to one of the many parks in the city - perhaps a powerful place to start your business empire?

A science park, a few of which are dotted about the place:

A look at the new face of the Industrial District:

The telephone wire "rivers" will one day be changed into chain-link fencing.

Finally, a look at the historic harbour next to the revamped modern port. You can also see the Old Brewery, the oldest one on the island:

I've also been working out some new gameplay features.

In the city exist many smaller companies which, for whatever reason, aren't taking part in the local shenanigans. Open a new building on their location and you can buy them out, bringing in a new Subsidiary into your business empire. Subsidiaries are basically powerful great wonders which grant strong bonuses. Many of them produce units. For instance, the Old Brewery produces, among other things, exploding kegs. Get the troubled Wolrich Football Club back into business and it'll produce a Football Player every so often.

There are many subsidiaries in the game, and each of them is, as I said, very powerful if you can invest your productivity into getting them up-and-running.

Pollution is going to be rampant in this scenario, though easy to clean up. It represents all kinds of workplace hazards and issues, and overcrowding, and many (if not most) improvements produce a little of it. The good news is that there are a lot of improvements available to combat it. Get some tools together and you'll be able to build the important Building Maintenence improvement, which cuts a huge chunk out of workplace safety issues. HVAC systems, plumbing maintenance, staff restrooms, even a simple water cooler, they all help chip away at workplace hazards if you can get them all installed and up and running. Finding the correct balance adds a new challenge to the game.

After the early stages of the game, Hacking and cyber-crime become real issues. Hackers will be able to disable (destroy) building improvements, requiring significant work to get them back up and running. Establishing cyber security in your smaller buildings and employing your own hackers to seek them out (with stealth attack) and eliminating their threat will be order of the day. Also be weary of the Underground Brotherhood who will think of nothing employing many hidden nationality hackers to wreck havoc on the unjust businesses in the late game!

Late for work? I don't think so, buster - not when the subway opens up in early Era 2 allowing units to use Subway Access (airlift) to other buildings in a flash. The Public Transport Bureau also operates a similarly functioning bus network from their Bus Station from the beginning of the game - which anyone can wrestle from them! There are also a myriad of transport units available - Buses, Cars, and Taxis line the roads; of if you'd prefer to avoid all the congestion then Private Yachts and Executive's Helicopters are also widely available for the super-rich who descend upon Wolrich.

I'm currently going through a major reworking of the tech tree to add faction-specific techs. This means that the Mafia will foray into carjacking, gun-running, and bank-robbing, while businesses such as Business Inc. will be developing copyright, blueprints, and a good honest sense of Corporate Pride. The core tech tree will, however, be shared by all.

Requests:

Many units are still needed. Some I'll try to develop myself some day, but currently, it's not possible.

For the businesses, an Office Messenger is needed. He'll mostly be used as a scout, zipping about the place all fast and such. I was working on one, but since I don't have Poser anymore and the files are on my (now external) zombie-like dead hard-drive, getting round to it will take a little while.

Another which businesses need is a Supervisor (like my Office Manager, but perhaps his hair hasn't fallen out yet), an early-game defensive unit. An unarmed Security Guard would also be a great help. I imagine him to be fat, having a hard time catching those darned kids shoplifting in the store, and maybe with a torch.

When things start really kicking-off, there will be Notepad Hurlers, Chair-Wielders and office guys armed with Fire Extinguishers.

Army units are going to be Secretaries, so an army/leader Secretary is required.

The Public and the Underground are going to need an industrial Picketer, striking over low wages and tough working conditions.

Some naval units will be needed as well such as a Glass-Bottomed Boat which sails around the natural lagoon giving tourists a delightful day out, or a simple Security Boat for a non-military vessel that companies might use to keep their waters safe in the early game. A Lifeboat so that the Authorities can rescue troubled souls at sea.

Other than units, I currently need rivers which are turned into a chain-link fence, protecting lots in the Industrial District.

Top Bottom