Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor

Cross-Platform Editor for Conquests now available! 1.48

Looks good so far, the only issue I'm encountering is the strange one where not all placed units will appear on the map. Military units seem to by scouts, explorers, settlers, workers etc. do not.

This is the text but I am still working on the BIQ files. It uploads my files then they don't appear as an attachment any help for uploading my BIQ files?

Attachments

• log.txt
    228.2 KB · Views: 109
This is the text but I am still working on the BIQ files. It uploads my files then they don't appear as an attachment any help for uploading my BIQ files?
What size are the files? 10 mb is the max size file for CFC upload or attachment.

Put it inside a RAR file. Always works.
sorry I'm new to this how would I go about doing that?
Use a program like Winzip or ZipGenius. I'm on a Mac so I use Stuffit.

Puts the file (or multiple files) into a compact container. It's how most of the scenario files you download are contained. RAR is one format ZIP is another. They have various benefits & shortcomings. The major programs, including the ones mentioned, can do either format.

Ok I got it thanks for all your help everyone here is the latest of my failed to open/use files made with this editor hope it helps.

Attachments

• Test5.biq.zip
    27.9 KB · Views: 109
Looks good so far, the only issue I'm encountering is the strange one where not all placed units will appear on the map. Military units seem to by scouts, explorers, settlers, workers etc. do not.

I figured out why that problem is happening, it's to do with AI strategies. Rather than apply a Band-Aid to the problem, I think I'll go ahead and rewire units/AI strategies so they match up with Firaxis's system.

Ok I got it thanks for all your help everyone here is the latest of my failed to open/use files made with this editor hope it helps.

Thanks, I'll investigate it.

Also any of the regular civ made games ie. Rise of Rome Mesoamerica ect. don't work with both the old editor and the new one you just released.

Quintillus, if it is any consolation to you, the MacSoft Editor for the basic Civ3 game was pretty buggy too, and that included the map editor, which did strange things on a regular basis with the map. Have you ever seen that editor?

The disappearing unit bug should be gone in the next release. The next release also now has full support for both units with multiple strategies and multiple units with the same name, as it now follows Firaxis's method for storing units.

Now moving on to fixing a few more issues before releasing it...

Also any of the regular civ made games ie. Rise of Rome Mesoamerica ect. don't work with both the old editor and the new one you just released.

That's probably due to the Scenario Search Folders. If you are opening them from the Conquests folder but saving them to the Scenarios folder, you need to adjust the Scenario Search Folders accordingly. For example, 1 Mesopotamia.biq will have the following under "Search Folders:" in the PROP tab:

Mesopotamia

If you are saving your modded Mesopotamia folder in the Scenarios folder, you'll need to change that to something like this:

../Conquests/Mesopotamia

So that Civ3 can still find the Mesopotamia-specific graphics and so forth. .. means to go up a folder (so from Scenarios into [likely] Conquests Game Data), and then it goes into the Conquests folder within Conquests Game Data, and then the Mesopotamia folder, where the Mesopotamia graphics and so forth actually are located.

If this is the case, you probably are getting Icon Not Found errors or similar when trying to play the scenario in Conquests.

I tried to find a guide that explained this in some detail, but didn't manage to find one. But basically, by default, Civ will only look in its default folders and wherever the BIQ is stored for the Art, Text, etc. folders the scenario needs. If these are located somewhere other than where the BIQ is, you need to use the Scenario Search Folders to tell it where to look. ".." means go up a folder, "/" goes between separate folders when you are navigating to one folder, and ";" goes between to separate destination folders. So if you were merging the Mesopotamia and Rise of Rome scenarios, you'd see something like "../Conquests/Mesopotamia;../Conquests/Rise of Rome"

Note that you might need something slightly different on OSX if the folder names are different. You'll also see "\" instead of "/" on most scenarios as Windows uses "\" by default, but as Windows is usually also ok with "/", using "/" probably won't cause any problems (but I'm not the expert on this, just haven't run into any issues with it and Civ3 myself).

---

In other news, I took a look at the BIQ and log file you uploaded, and Civ3 seemed happy with the BIQ, as did my editor. But I have a couple guesses about what might have been causing the problem:

• The crash in the log file was when the editor was trying to load the units_32.pcx file. It's possible that if you edited it, but not quite correctly, this could have caused the error.
  • The BIQ has several units with custom civilopedia entries. Since I don't have the custom Civilopedia file, those are just blank entries for me, and the Civilopedia icons are just big versions of the units_32 entries (and thus kind of blurry). This shouldn't have caused any issues with the editor, but something being slightly off with the Civilopedia certainly could have for the game.

In the log you were using version 0.70, so I was looking at the code for that version when trying to figure out what may have went wrong. But I was able to open it both with my latest version (to-be 0.73) and with 0.70, though 0.70 can be a bit unsteady with the map enabled.

There also were some auto-save errors in the log file, which I've added a check for so they shouldn't occur in the future.

Quintillus, if it is any consolation to you, the MacSoft Editor for the basic Civ3 game was pretty buggy too, and that included the map editor, which did strange things on a regular basis with the map. Have you ever seen that editor?

Alas, that's the problem with having a limited amount of time, it's a tradeoff between making the editor available and fixing everything first but waiting until 2012 to release it (and probably making a few scenarios along the way for testing purposes if nothing else). But no, I have not seen MacSoft's editor. It is some consolation that it wasn't perfect right away, either, though.

FWIW, I don' t think "MacSoft's editor" was MacSoft's. It was a personal project by Brad Oliver, ported in his spare time, and was never actually released. Brad was the lead programmer for Westlake, the consultancy that did the original Mac porting work for Civ3. He later moved to Aspyr where he ported Civ3 PtW and Conquests, and Civ4 vanilla.

He put out a beta editor for Mac fans in CFC to test, based on Civ3 vanilla version 1.21, and it was never ever updated, either for release at that version, or to support Civ3 version 1.29. MacSoft never took ownership of it as far as I know.

FWIW, I don' t think "MacSoft's editor" was MacSoft's. It was a personal project by Brad Oliver, ported in his spare time, and was never actually released. Brad was the lead programmer for Westlake, the consultancy that did the original Mac porting work for Civ3. He later moved to Aspyr where he ported Civ3 PtW and Conquests, and Civ4 vanilla.

He put out a beta editor for Mac fans in CFC to test, based on Civ3 vanilla version 1.21, and it was never ever updated, either for release at that version, or to support Civ3 version 1.29. MacSoft never took ownership of it as far as I know.

My copy of the Editor came with my original MacSoft game disc. It still runs under system 10.4.11, but does have the pink edges to the squares.

The one I got from the internet had at LEAST 3000+ errors or missing lines of code just to go to the unit editor part of it lol talk about a fail.

Just and update on the error I had before. Since the update I have been exporting the saves to a USB in case something happens they will not be affected but now it seems that I don't get that error :D. If I get it I'll let you know just saying what you did last seemed to work or for some reason its because I'm exporting it?

Any news?

There is news! I'm now employed! In addition to finding employment, I've moved and taken three additional long-distance trips in the past month. So life has been a bit of a whirlwind.

But for the first time since May I have a week without travel, and thus more unstructured time (still some big decisions to make, though!). So I took a look at the code last night, and was a bit surprised to find I hadn't made a change in four weeks :blush:. Guess I should have released what I had in May. I did make some changes to allow changing unit/city ownership from a civilization to a player (or to barbarians, for non-city entities). I'm going to review what I have, see if I can make fix a few more issues that have been spotted here or which I've spotted in testing, and I'll have a version 0.73 no later than July 4th, whether I'm able to fix additional issues by then or not.

Well congrats on the new job! Real life does take precedence over civili-*USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST*

Well congrats on the new job! Real life does take precedence over civili-*USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST*

Thanks! And :lol:. My eyes jumped to the bold before I finished reading, and it took until I finished reading to realize why the infraction notice was different than usual!

Went back into the code tonight and did a bunch of work on city culture. Managed to fix a bug with changing culture that had been pestering me and evading fixes for quite awhile, and reduced the cultural-border recalculation time by 99.9% (very noticeable on humongous maps with lots of cities, not really on small ones). Now I'm tired, but it feels good to have those two things fixed.

Top Bottom