Another WW2 scenario

WOW! The list is amazing! Will these units be really in the next version? I guess you are not able to say when it will be finished.

Maybe there should be more techs in the teachtree with shorter researchtime. Otherwise we won´t see any of those units in the game. I mean it´s possible (playing as germany) to defeat france and great britain within a few rounds. Damn my english is not that good to explain what i mean... :blush:
Ok, an example although the time is not realistic: Imagine you are able to defeat france and great britain within say 20 rounds (European theater). Researching one tech lasts almost 25 or more rounds.
I know if you set the research time too low we won´t be able "to savour" the units we´ve researched a few rounds before. It needs to be balanced. A balance between researchtime and available techs. Anyway in my opinion more techs are needed.

WOW! The list is amazing! Will these units be really in the next version? I guess you are not able to say when it will be finished.

Maybe there should be more techs in the teachtree with shorter researchtime. Otherwise we won´t see any of those units in the game. I mean it´s possible (playing as germany) to defeat france and great britain within a few rounds. Damn my english is not that good to explain what i mean... :blush:
Ok, an example although the time is not realistic: Imagine you are able to defeat france and great britain within say 20 rounds (European theater). Researching one tech lasts almost 25 or more rounds.
I know if you set the research time too low we won´t be able "to savour" the units we´ve researched a few rounds before. It needs to be balanced. A balance between researchtime and available techs. Anyway in my opinion more techs are needed.

Yes, that is definitely the plan and I am really looking forward to having this build completed. I'm thinking I could be finished as soon as sometime next week, or be as long as a month off. It really depends on how many roadblocks I run into implementing changes.

I have already thought about how to approach the tech tree quite a bit. All of the research times are already shortened first off. Most are set at about the same level as they are in the regular game for the moment. The only item that is too high to ever get through is future tech. Everything else should be very possible to reach within a 1944 or so time frame. When I begin testing the scenario I'll see if they should be shortened even more so.
If you look at that tech sheet you'll notice the number of techs the scenario uses has effectively been lengthened by 3 or 4 also. Vanilla nuclear Fusion, particle physics, nanotech, and to some extent advanced ballistics are effectively not used in the current uploaded version.
The other thing is civs like France are planned to start out with a lot of their "advanced" ww2 units. The reason is that in reality they were knocked out of the war before they ever had a chance to develop much.

I've put in more adjustments to make fighting last longer too. HP for units is set at 20, and 40 for cities right now. One other thing is I am trying out 2 units/tile in this one too. I'll see how they turn out in game later of course, but my hope is that the European theatre should stay active for much longer.

Still great and after I took over parts of africa and india with Japan I kinda stopped playing.

I just have one more suggestion, Germanys navy is too strong. With a human player using it they are able to overwhelm britains navy, and I feel any attack on great britain should be near impossible from sea to land at least.

And one more is that paratroopers should be able to paradrop then attack in the same turn. Because they are pretty much sitting ducks behind enemy lines.

Still great and after I took over parts of africa and india with Japan I kinda stopped playing.

I just have one more suggestion, Germanys navy is too strong. With a human player using it they are able to overwhelm britains navy, and I feel any attack on great britain should be near impossible from sea to land at least.

And one more is that paratroopers should be able to paradrop then attack in the same turn. Because they are pretty much sitting ducks behind enemy lines.

I've got so many changes to the units (well over 100 new) coming in the next version that the naval balances will end up completely redone. I'll be sure to take that into account when I'm placing all the new units though.
IIRC I tried some different naval situations in the north sea, and a problem was that if the UK has too much of an advantage then they are able to consistently invade Denmark. This led to problems like the AI invasion of France becoming a stalemate. This is of course already a problem for the AI even in the current state. However, I think it might be more manageable this time around with the new units, and also a few map changes I've gone with.

The thing about paratroopers in WW2 is that they were pretty much sitting ducks when they were landing. A good example of that is the invasion of Crete. Many German paratroopers were shot dead before they even hit the ground. Many that landed successfully found themselves in very vulnerable situations. The end result was still a win for Germany, but they lost so many men that they never tried a large scale air invasion again throughout the war (ie. Malta). They were able to prevail because they kept the defenders from being resupplied and eventually overwhelmed them with numbers.
One thing I might try though is have them start out with the cover promotion. That should help a bit with the problem you're bringing up, but still keep what I think is a realistic depiction of their vulnerability.

As far as where the next version is at currently, I am 2 steps away from testing in game. I still need to add/adjust a lot of ai flavor controls for units, and then the big step left is the addition of the unit graphics. I wanted to finish it by this week, but it looks like that isn't possible. I'm going on a vacation tomorrow, so the prospect is nil. Anyways, I hope to be done by the following weekend. It should be quite fun having access to so many WW2 units in game.

Hi everybody,

I am pretty new at using mods but I don't think I've got it quite right.

I followed all of the installation instructions listed on the first post without any difficulty, and everything seemed to go smoothly. I started a game and I had all the custom civs and leader images, but when I started the game it began at 4000bc and I had a settler and warrior starting in mesoamerica as Britain!

Shouldn't this start like the screenshot on the first post in the 1930s/40s with the world as it was? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

~JK_47

Hey Champ. It is going pretty well. The scenario runs without any crashes during testing, and I have managed to add all the new units I originally had in mind too. The one concern is the game runs pretty slow now, and I'm using what I think is a fairly good machine.
I have a decent number of text entries still to update and then I'll need to run a few more tests to make sure what I've added since my initial test works properly. I will have a lot of time to work on it tomorrow, so it should be ready to upload soon. It's in the 60+ MB range now too, so I'll have to use an external file hosting site.

Hi everybody,

I am pretty new at using mods but I don't think I've got it quite right.

I followed all of the installation instructions listed on the first post without any difficulty, and everything seemed to go smoothly. I started a game and I had all the custom civs and leader images, but when I started the game it began at 4000bc and I had a settler and warrior starting in mesoamerica as Britain!

Shouldn't this start like the screenshot on the first post in the 1930s/40s with the world as it was? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

~JK_47

Hi. You have to select "Load Scenario" on the main game setup screen to have the starting map situation load. Without that you just get to play the map by itself in 4000 BC.

I would recommend waiting a bit before trying this scenario actually. The current version is dated at this pointed. I have a huge update that should be available sometime in the next few days.

btw, it is probably a good time to ask opinions on limiting the number of certain ship classes.

This is how I have things set atm:

-Capital Ships> 2
-Carriers> 4 each (Britain, USA, and Japan each have 2 different classes; all others only have 1)
-Battleships> 4
-Dreadnoughts> 6
-Sub carriers> 3

Keep in mind that all these units except for maybe the Sub carriers are pretty tough to destroy, so it's not like they will be getting sunk a lot.

Would that be a limit on how many you can produce or how many you can have at one time?

Also, good to know the latest version is coming out soon, I'm looking forward to it. :D

My understanding is it's the number that can be built throughout the entire game. So for example once the USSR builds and loses 2 of its capital ships it can no longer have any for the remaining game.

I don't know for sure on whether the game counts units that are preplaced on the map against the number. I'm thinking it doesn't, but I'll check it out when I'm testing things to be sure.

EDIT: Actually I think it's both. No more than 2 capitals at any time, plus only 2 can be built.

Hi. You have to select "Load Scenario" on the main game setup screen to have the starting map situation load. Without that you just get to play the map by itself in 4000 BC.

I would recommend waiting a bit before trying this scenario actually. The current version is dated at this pointed. I have a huge update that should be available sometime in the next few days.

Thanks so much for the reply!

That is the piece I don't have, and seems to be what I'm not getting across the board for loading scenarios. How do I get scenarios to load on that screen? All I have right now are the DLC scenarios I own (Mongols and New World)

Thanks, JK_47

You're welcome. Honestly it's a little difficult to try and explain for me. Here is an old thread where it looks to have been discussed into great detail:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9728223

The general keys are select "Mods" out of the main menu, select "browse mods", enable the applicable mods you want to use, go back to the main mods screen and setup game, select the map you want to play, then click on "Load Scenario".

Thanks again! I wasn't catching the "load scenario" button. Got it now!

Looking forward to your planned update and thanks for all the work you do - this looks like a lot of fun!

~JK_47

I personally dont think ship limiting is a good idea, it's too restrictive, when everything else is open for whatever you want it to be.

But as for another thing i remember back you said you would lower the production value for infantry, you did that right?

Yep. Infantry units are dirt cheap now. About 150-200 depending on what type. The conscripts are about half that.

Alright cool. I take it amphibious would be the higher end...

Well I've been playing as benito lately, and you have a good challenge there, I overcame it in the long run, overrunning Athens, Marseille, and Tunisia, the real challenge is egypt, although I kinda made that a challenge myself.

I am really just looking to take Suez so I can get reinforcements to Ethiopia. Either way Italy is really fun to play as, trying to rebuild the roman empire and all.

Oh and ethiopia was taken so quickly because of Italian air power, granite using mustard gas, but I still think they should have a fighter in Ethiopia.

I love your WW2 scenario!
I'm just wondering what, if any, City State Mod(s) you may have used?

With the one I'm using I see alot of repeated City State names.

Ok, I'll plan on putting a fighter there then. It never hurts having more aircraft to play with.
I just finished off the last of the text entries :twitch: Some are kind of bare bones, but they will suffice for now.

Good to hear Drumheller. That's a no on the city-state mods. There are at least a dozen that I just reused an existing CS in World Builder for. I have been focused on getting the WW2 units added for quite a while now, so there just hasn't been time for it. Maybe something for later though.

Oh and I almost forgot, Italy has one P-type bomber at the start, and lacks the technology to build any, minus fighter bombers.

Why not give them the tech for a weak light bomber? And if there is anyone else lacking that tech you should give them one too. I just feel air power should be as devastating in Civ5 as it was in real life.

Top Bottom