R.E.D. World War II development thread

May I suggest two buildings called Propaganda and War Bonds. War Bonds could be used to generate gold funds, while Propaganda could be used for...a happiness system if you implement one?

So i start a game as soviet union and its very good! love that we can liberate territory of an ally.
But like Bonci said the name of swiss city state are unreadable, and i think the AI build unit beside of buying it. Thats destroy the gameplay because i can build up an army rapidly and the AI take like 100 turns to build a single unit.

Continue the great work :goodjob:

And sry for my bad english im french from Québec:)

About the unreadable CS name, do you have any DLC ? which ones ? only Swiss is affected ?

About the IA, try deity difficulty level, it will make more units then. Or/and choose to play England or France, I think they've less production capacity.

May I suggest two buildings called Propaganda and War Bonds. War Bonds could be used to generate gold funds, while Propaganda could be used for...a happiness system if you implement one?

I was thinking of renaming the wealth process to "war bonds", but yes, a building to generate wealth alongside the bank is a good idea. And it could only be build in your original cities... yes... And one more icon needed ;)

For propaganda, there'll be a moral mechanism, and a resistance mechanism, so some buildings are planned :
- Cabaret for raising moral of nearby troops
- Radio tower to broadcast your propaganda for raising moral of nearby troops (longer range) and lowering moral of nearby enemies. Maybe should have an effect on partisan units spawning ?
- a "Kommandantur" building replacing courthouse

just a small report from my current test game (Germany, Deity)

I've followed history and goes for Poland immediately after the initial DoW, cities where taken quickly and their 3 infantry division had made a courageous but useless defense.

then it was a healthy walk from Strasbourg to Paris, but the French capital was long to take even with 3 panzer-division and 2 bombers, and the resistance of the others cities had exhausted my best units... and then the war with USSR has started... First I've done a nice push up to the border of Kiev and I've taken Minsk, but now, here's the situation in pictures...

On the first, I've been outflanked in the eastern front in only 3 turns, Stalin has re-affected it's units used to conquest Romania making a push from the south, and I've been overwhelmed in Minsk and now I must retreat quickly or get 3 to 4 division out of supply when his army will join at Brest-Litovsk !

And my Luftwaffe support wil lneed to be reaffected soon or be lost with this city...

The second show the south of France, I'd hoped that Benito would take Lyon more quickly than that, but he keeps failing, and my worn out units here are just able to defend themselves... The RAF was a constant bugging since France and England have teamed up allowing each other to see their territory... The Wellington range allow them to reach my units as far as Vichy and Lyon !

And now, talking of the English, in the third picture they didn't even had the decency to wait for the US to do their version of the D-Day, and just under the nose of y fleet ! (for those already playing, don't wait for the US, they won't come in this version ;) )

Attachments

• red_east_53.jpg
    red_east_53.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 347
  • red_fr_53.jpg
    red_fr_53.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 328
  • red_normandy_53.jpg
    red_normandy_53.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 298
you're using the latest patch ? are you playing in Italian language ? If so, can you try in English ?

and by the way, how would you translate "fighter squadron" and "bomber squadron" in Italian ? :)

I've changed the language to english but the game still crashes...i've tried to open the city screen in the strategic view and i got a bunch of red-and-white squares.
Could it be because i'm using the DX9 version? (stupid steam thinks i should install service pack 2...of windows seven -.-')

as far as i know i'm using the latest patch...shouldn't steam download it for me anyways?

i think that "Squadriglia di caccia" for fighters and "Squadriglia di bombardieri" for bombers are good options :)

and i should make a point that the italian flag during fascism was a bit different http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fascist_Italy_flags

however...quality mod! i hope i can get it to work :D

I've changed the language to english but the game still crashes...i've tried to open the city screen in the strategic view and i got a bunch of red-and-white squares.
Could it be because i'm using the DX9 version? (stupid steam thinks i should install service pack 2...of windows seven -.-')

as far as i know i'm using the latest patch...shouldn't steam download it for me anyways?

i think that "Squadriglia di caccia" for fighters and "Squadriglia di bombardieri" for bombers are good options :)

and i should make a point that the italian flag during fascism was a bit different http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fascist_Italy_flags

however...quality mod! i hope i can get it to work :D

thanks for the reports !

Just Milan is causing issue for you ?

Have you got all mods turned off ?

It should, normally you can't launch the game from the custom setup screen if another mod is activated. (please anyone, report if you were able to bypass that)

That make me think that I should issue at least a warning if the game is loaded with another mod activated (that I can't prevent)

yeah i cannot even start a game if another mod is active

Just Milan is causing issue for you ?

just tried a game as germany and it crashed when i opened the list of military units...
I think it's something about the ui.

PS: love the speeches at the start of the game :)

I think the Civ V engine was made for an Eastern front mod. I remember playing one on civ 3 and it was totally awesome. I know North Africa/D-Day/etc., but the real decisive ground war was fought in the USSR. If someone could somehow make a mod like that for V while somehow simulating the allied strategic bombing campaign/battle of britian you would pretty much have the essential WW2 mod.

How this relates to your mod, I might "zoom" in on this map like this leaving out spain and parts of North Africa. You would have to redraw it, but I think it would improve the mod a lot in the long run. You could make a small strip of land on the bottom simulating the North Africa campaign and maybe do something with a few cities in Spain to simulate the Spanish Civil War. You would be sacrificing style points on the map but I think in the end it would improve the gameplay and move it from a city hop to some tactical maneuvering.

Only swiss is affected and i have the spain/inca dlc and danemark dlc
ok, thanks, I think it will be fixed in next version.

i was playing as Britain yesterday and it was working, i went to play as russia today and all city states on the map are black and i can build a giant death robot, all the space ship parts, why is that ?
try to delete the content of the cache folder.

I have just started a game for the USSR. Awesome artwork and intro :)

Here are a couple of bugs that I noticed from the start:

Switzerland's flag is messed up, as other posters say. In the console, I have noticed two error lines being shown all the time, I would guess they might be to blame:

Runtime Error: [string "Assets/UI/InGame/CityBannerManager.lua"]:66: Could not find player color at row -1
Runtime Error: [string "Assets/UI/InGame/DiploList.lua"]:427: Could not find player color at row -1

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Both Diplo screens are messed up: I cannot scroll down. They aren't needed for this scenario as far as I understand, but just letting you know.

A couple of little things:
- all cities start with "default" focus, and switching them to production helps quite a bit (they won't grow anyway it seems). Maybe they could start with Prod focus.
- During first AI turn, all major civs told me that they don't like me expanding too much.
- First time I started it, it crashed and said "out of memory". Maybe that's the reason why it crashes for some other posters...

Otherwise, seems awesome ;). I'll post as I play more.

can i play as greece in this mod? if not is there any ww2 mod in which you can play as greece?

I have just started a game for the USSR. Awesome artwork and intro :)

Here are a couple of bugs that I noticed from the start:

Switzerland's flag is messed up, as other posters say. In the console, I have noticed two error lines being shown all the time, I would guess they might be to blame:

Runtime Error: [string "Assets/UI/InGame/CityBannerManager.lua"]:66: Could not find player color at row -1
Runtime Error: [string "Assets/UI/InGame/DiploList.lua"]:427: Could not find player color at row -1

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Both Diplo screens are messed up: I cannot scroll down. They aren't needed for this scenario as far as I understand, but just letting you know.

A couple of little things:
- all cities start with "default" focus, and switching them to production helps quite a bit (they won't grow anyway it seems). Maybe they could start with Prod focus.
- During first AI turn, all major civs told me that they don't like me expanding too much.
- First time I started it, it crashed and said "out of memory". Maybe that's the reason why it crashes for some other posters...

Otherwise, seems awesome ;). I'll post as I play more.

I think that the issue with Switzerland is that I used Babylon's color... It's corrected in my test version, and I guess that the other issues (the log and the diplo screen) are linked to that problem.

The default (or food) focus could be a choice if I'll link reinforcement personnel with city food output and materiel with city production.

And I'm trying to play with the defines value to prevent the dialog about settling, no luck so far :/

can i play as greece in this mod? if not is there any ww2 mod in which you can play as greece?

Well, if anyone can provide a good intro screen, diplo screen and intro speech in the same style as the one I've made, I may add it at some point. Same for Poland, Finland, Sweden... But I'll need unit too (there are some planes available but only Poland as a complete set land-sea-air)

Just a suggestion it will be great if you can do some kind of Ligne Maginot at the germano-french border

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_Maginot

It was there in my first test versions, but with the tile capture system, any unit would get the defense bonus :D

Maybe in future version, with static, defensive and maybe capturable artillery units.

Really good job with this mod, some really cool concepts here

I tested it so here are some friendly suggestions:

- Strength was spelled wrong in the British's trait help description (Im guessing you have probably corrected this by now)

- Swiss City names were not popping up as you already know

- When I moved Units from African cities (specifically) the 3d art made it look like they were still there but they weren't. Which isn't that big of a deal just a minor thing.

- I think you said you would change this but there should be alot more units placed for Poland, Germany, USSR and France specifically

Historical Things (I don't know if you had a plan for these things or if you planned to add them in later)

- The colonies located in Africa are meant to be puppets of their owner (right?), I would actually make them part of the British, French and Italian empires, just change the cities to the state of puppets. Including Isreal and Syria area. This would help get their scores up too.

-Kuwait was directly owned by the British and Iraq was a Puppet of Britain

-Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia were annexed by the Soviet Union by 1939

-Maybe set up a Non-Aggression pact for the Soviet Union and Germany Until 1941 or so

- (Your touched upon this eariler) The French "Maginot Line" was located between the German and French border in order to protect France from Germany (Preparing for another World War I). This made it almost impossible for Germany to attack through the French border. Hitler declared war on the Netherlands and Belgium in order to flank the Maginot line which worked. In the scenario there is no maginot line so Germany just attacks straight through France.

-Luxembourg was a country at the time located between Belgium, Germany and France.

-Italy didn't join in the Fight unitil the fall of France (late 1940's)

-Italy had already annexed Albania by 1939

Anyways really good mod and scenario, Good Luck!

I think the Civ V engine was made for an Eastern front mod. I remember playing one on civ 3 and it was totally awesome. I know North Africa/D-Day/etc., but the real decisive ground war was fought in the USSR. If someone could somehow make a mod like that for V while somehow simulating the allied strategic bombing campaign/battle of britian you would pretty much have the essential WW2 mod.

How this relates to your mod, I might "zoom" in on this map like this leaving out spain and parts of North Africa. You would have to redraw it, but I think it would improve the mod a lot in the long run. You could make a small strip of land on the bottom simulating the North Africa campaign and maybe do something with a few cities in Spain to simulate the Spanish Civil War. You would be sacrificing style points on the map but I think in the end it would improve the gameplay and move it from a city hop to some tactical maneuvering.

maybe for another scenario based on the mod, but I do need Egypt and Libya here, even if nothing is scripted now.

Really good job with this mod, some really cool concepts here

I tested it so here are some friendly suggestions:

- Strength was spelled wrong in the British's trait help description (Im guessing you have probably corrected this by now)

- Swiss City names were not popping up as you already know

- When I moved Units from African cities (specifically) the 3d art made it look like they were still there but they weren't. Which isn't that big of a deal just a minor thing.

- I think you said you would change this but there should be alot more units placed for Poland, Germany, USSR and France specifically

Historical Things (I don't know if you had a plan for these things or if you planned to add them in later)

- The colonies located in Africa are meant to be puppets of their owner (right?), I would actually make them part of the British, French and Italian empires, just change the cities to the state of puppets. Including Isreal and Syria area. This would help get their scores up too.

-Kuwait was directly owned by the British and Iraq was a Puppet of Britain

-Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia were annexed by the Soviet Union by 1939

-Maybe set up a Non-Aggression pact for the Soviet Union and Germany Until 1941 or so

- (Your touched upon this eariler) The French "Maginot Line" was located between the German and French border in order to protect France from Germany (Preparing for another World War I). This made it almost impossible for Germany to attack through the French border. Hitler declared war on the Netherlands and Belgium in order to flank the Maginot line which worked. In the scenario there is no maginot line so Germany just attacks straight through France.

-Luxembourg was a country at the time located between Belgium, Germany and France.

-Italy didn't join in the Fight unitil the fall of France (late 1940's)

-Italy had already annexed Albania by 1939

Anyways really good mod and scenario, Good Luck!
Thanks, and Yes, I plan to have some historic events added. First I need to implement a real calendar to base the rest on ;)

But I want to leave some liberties to the player, currently you can't declare war in the very first turns of the game, but from turn 4 you can go to war against axes nation if you're allied and reciprocally. USSR is not counted as axes or allies, but the coded events will make it attacked by Germany automatically.

Note that if you do not make any DoW by yourself, there's already a gap between Germany DoW to Poland, France and UK Dow to Germany, USSR Dow to Poland, some time later Italy DoW to France and UK, and even later Germany DoW to USSR.

Once the calendar is in, and after some play test (Italy declaring early maybe good for gameplay), it'll be adjusted to the real time line. With liberty of choice to the player.

But that's not in short term, the other parts should be tested first ;)

The puppet cities is a good idea BTW, but for what I plan, it may be simpler for me to stay with a CS ally to represent the French, English and Italian colonies

edit : and thanks for the typo report, there must be others to find...

Top Bottom