No city growth

LeStudd

Chieftain
The game worked fine for several starts, but the last couple of starts the starting town doesn't grow at all. I installed 3.17, but that didn't help. I checked the city screen to see if 'no growth' was checked by default, it isn't.

I'm playing custom game, but I haven't changed anything from when it was working. Is this a bug?

Ok, I guess it is a bug, but also, Hayan Kapac(sp?) isn't getting his 50% wonder bonus, even when the food works.

Welcome to CFC!!!

Post a savegame file. Reply to this post, scroll down to Additional Options, and select manage attachments.

That way we can see what you are talking about. There are a lot of reasons why a city might not grow.

You will find your savegames in: your documents folder in the /My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/

I think there is a folder for single player save games - but I can't remember the entire path off the top of my head. If you can't find where your save games are post as such, and I (or someone else) can help further.

I reinstalled the game. Food is working as intended, however Stonehenge for Inca is showing that I need 360 to build, shouldn't it be 180?

Attachments

• 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    74.6 KB · Views: 46
I just had a game going that had Stonehenge at 120, but when I regenerated the map it went to 360 :(

This game started out fine with Stonehenge @ 120, but when my radius expanded due to culture it switched to 360.

Attachments

• 2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    95 KB · Views: 44
Home from work, so now I can check out your game. Okay here is your situation.

First, Stonehenge always takes 120 hammers to build on normal speed, no matter whether you are an industrious leader or not. You are playing Marathon Speed in both of these save games, so everything is multiplied by 3 - therefore 360 hammers to build stonehenge.

Now, the industrious trait does not cut the number of hammers required to build a wonder in half, it multiplies the number of hammers your cities produce by 50%. That means that if your city was normally producing 2 hammers, if you decide to build a wonder you will produce 3 hammers. (2 * .5 = 1, plus the original 2 = 3)

Your cities, in both of these saves are at population 1, so each can only work 1 additional tile besides the city square. In both games the central city tile is only producing 1 hammer. In one of the games, it is working a rice tile (3 food, 0 hammers) and in the other a corn tile (3 food, 0 hammers). that means your total production for the city is only 1 hammer. 1 hammer * .5 = .5 hammers, which is rounded down to 0. That means 1 total hammers, and therefore 360 turns to produce stonehenge (Assuming the city never grows).

You got different numbers of turns in your map regenerate, because you got a start with more hammers as the default. Move that tile that is being worked from the corn to the forest, and you will see your turns decrease. However, it will always take 360 hammers to build stonehenge on marathon speed.

This issue comes up for many traits as well as abilities provided by buildings, promotions, etc. Civ IV uses a system of multipliers, it never changes the base values - just allows traits and abilities to adjust via multipliers.

No problem - that is what the forum is for!

Hope you stick around now and pop in on the strategy and general discussions. There is a ton of great stuff on becoming a better Civ player on this site.

If you haven't explored it yet, you should definitely check out the War Academy. There are lots of great articles on stuff like game mechanics such as this discussion we just had, as well as strategies for all aspects of the game.

Top Bottom