Changing Jotnar so they are playable!

jojobe

Chieftain
Omg this is the worst race in the game. They have some cool defenders but thats about it. you only get one defender every 20 turns. there are way too many restrictions. I cheated with the mode editor gave myself every favorable start and then locked the editor. I still lost with these guys LOL. The pop cap kept me in debt. then not having the ablity to grow pass 8 hampered my money and research. Also forget about having a wonder, i could never seem to complete one in time due to the first ring issue before the AI completed it. This race needs a second look. I know if i see someone playing this in a match to go after them first for a free city. :crazyeye: LAME LAME, LAME. Fixes--- the first ring got to go. second the population cap got to go. No since keeping them poor and not being able to build like everyone else if they get troops every 20 turns. It take forever to build even the most simplest buildings. Having them in the game with this set up reduces this civ to just cosmetic.

Thanks for the info. Im guess im kinda hurting. I got my but handed to me by the computer on novice level. 2 times :cry: in a row after 10 hours of play. The AI just all of them just seemed to want to dog pile on me at once. I see it. Im gona try again with a bit later. I got to get some sleep. You did a very good job on the game though btw. You have really kept this game alive.

I'm playing them Immortal--->Deity and have absolutely no problem, finding this Civ a bit lame... because these giant guys are too strong oO

anyone know how to beat taranis relm of the frozen?? ANY hints will do. I have tried running up the armgedon clock so i can use the spell to kill all the demons. but it AC wont go over 52. LOL im a goner. I dont know how the can make so many demons. there city are like 148 like wow. im a goner.

Aslo tips on how not to get infected by the young chochracon. they force you to run out your city.

I am playing them ATM, and I have a swarm of Jotnar Citizens which I don't have enough gold to upgrade to stronger units...

Jotnar Citizens are not the problem: Gold is! A tip: Just REX contantly: They have so many methods to reduce city maintanance, REXing is the only viable strategy...

And I am not getting a defender every 20 turns: Each city is getting a defender around once every 10 turns, without wasting any hammers (so they are free units! Fun :D)

Turn the Frozen off.. I have removed them from my game. I hate that whole concept

try the jotnar allied with clan of embers=very fun:goodjob:

hmm...I'm starting to wonder I just had two jotner citizens born in the same round for the last two turns....
you must get more when your treasury is too low to upgrade them to something useful :cry:

I know I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I recently played a game as the Jotnar and thought they were quite playable, just very different from the other civs in the game, so thought I'd offer my impressions.

Surviving an early game rush is definitely doable. Egrass is quite a strong unit, considering how early in the game he comes. Jotnar Citizens can defend themselves. And Thrall Militia are cheap defenders that you can crank out quickly: when fortified in a city, they have a good chance at defeating an attacking barbarian unit. Any surviving attackers will be weakened and vulnerable to a counterattack from Egrass. And you can always move your science slider to zero for a few turns to accumulate gold to upgrade a Citizen to a combat unit.

City placement: because of the 1-ring limitation, no single city is going to be an economic powerhouse, so you compensate by building several cities close together -- ideally, two tiles apart, to use every square. Won't always be able to do it, depending on geography, but that's what to shoot for. So in the aggregate you should end up with a decent economy.

City management: The 8-population limit means that you should manage your cities to produce exactly 16 food. You get +1 food from farms, windmills, and watermills. Agrarianism gives your farms another +1 food, as does researching Sanitation. Most of your cities, therefore, will probably not need more than 2(!) farms, depending on terrain and bonus resources. The other 6 tiles can be filled with mines and workshops for production, cottages for commerce, or windmills and watermills for a balance of production and commerce. So you should be able to get decent production.

You're not likely to build many wonders, if any (unless you pop a Great Engineer from a lair or an event), so instead you adopt a strategy not focused on wonders. It might be worth trying to build some, anyway, since if you fail you end up with gold that you can use to upgrade your units.

As for religion, the 'pedia recommends RoK for the gold. Another possibility would be OO, since it allows upgrading your surviving Thrall Militia to the somewhat more useful Drown. (In my game I went Empyrean, since nobody else had and I thought it would be fun to get Chalid.)

Top Bottom