Fall Further - The Original Thread

Dangit, I posted in the wrong thread. I'll upload it here as well I guess. I tried keeping him in his original background with some decent success. Haven't managed to do much with the new background or the Evil lizzie yet.

I definitely like the first one better on the latest. The face is losing too much detail in the second :(

View attachment 170219

I began playing with the Durals and their workers build a mine in hills in like 2 turns... is that intended? That and some lush terrain gave me three fully developed city plots by turn 100, while my neighbours have not yet produced a settler...

Vehem I love the pic with the buildings in the background, would be great for the good ones.

Xienwolfs one could possibly be a Cualli leader with a darker background.

Are you planning just one leader for each? I assume so, its so difficult to find decent pics of lizzardmen. I still like my ghostly one, but its your modmod.

I don't think that the good leader looks right in the new background; the color of the armor is all wrong. I'm pretty sure that it only looked like that because it was reflecting the pinkish light of his surroundings. Not even pure copper armor would be that pink.

i like the first one most Vehem. but Magesteris right, can you change the armour to golden? the good lizies will have an affinity to gold afterall wont they? and for cuelli, i like both :) it depends whether you want their leader to be magical or a warrior.

EDIT: in case your wondering where i found those, the first one was doen by one of kaels favourite artists, who has already done many of the othe leaders and unit buttons. the 3rd and 4th one are from warhammer, the second from google.

I've been playing a little while with the spider guys, and I have a couple of problems and questions. Everytime I go to select the option to build a chosen with any of my cities, I get a CTD. I do have a couple of chosens that I upgraded from lower units that aren't causing any problems.

Is there any way to block my units from getting weapons promotions? Because they are getting them and they end up being stronger than other units with the extra poison damage.

Finally, how does the game identify "living" units? I wanted to attack acheron and was gonna use a bunch of spiders to soften him up, but the courage spell doesn't work on them. It makes me sad.

I tried to post a save if you want to test the chosen CTD(this is my first attempt, sry if it does not work)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/122990/Arachnid_AD-0732_-_Copy.CivBeyondSwordSave

OK, I built Karlson, the Duval leader last night, and folks I think we have our first androgynous leader. :D No offense to the unit designer, but he looks like a refugee from 'N Sync or Backstreet Boys with a big weapon.

I have to say he was disappointing as national heroes go. He really is not much more than the Champions you can build when you get the same Iron Working tech. Yes, he does have the hero promotions and one extra movement pt, but this dude needs a superpower badly. How about something like Cure Disease or Medic II? Maybe those are not consistent with his character, but he needs something.

Compare him to other Tier III national heroes like Corlindale, Donal Lugh, Lola, and the very powerful Alkazan to name a few and he is very weak. Some sort of superpower would change that.

I think I know now what the problem is with the Students of Kilmorph, etc. When you create the unit, it does not have the button for spreading the religion. This is why I didn't think it would work. However, when I move the unit to a city, the button appears. I think with the Thanes of Kilmorph, etc. the button is there when the unit is created. Of course, your Students also have the ability to hurry production and I love that ... especially since Soldiers of Kilmorph are quickly obsoleted now.

I see in your comments you addressed the lack of Cure Disease for the Dural civ. Are you saying that EVERY unit produced in the city with that Statue would be able to cure disease? Maybe a bit much. What about Medic II? Are there any units I missed that could get that promotion?

Thanks for the explanation on the professors - I didn't get Feudalism yet.

I have to say he was disappointing as national heroes go. He really is not much more than the Champions you can build when you get the same Iron Working tech. Yes, he does have the hero promotions and one extra movement pt, but this dude needs a superpower badly. How about something like Cure Disease or Medic II? Maybe those are not consistent with his character, but he needs something.

i agree totaly

I've been playing a little while with the spider guys, and I have a couple of problems and questions. Everytime I go to select the option to build a chosen with any of my cities, I get a CTD. I do have a couple of chosens that I upgraded from lower units that aren't causing any problems.

Thanks for this one - it's the "most irritating bug in the world, ever" again. A misplaced comma.

If you want a quick fix for it straight away, head into Assets\XML\Art\Civ4ArtDefines_Unit.xml (notepad can open it fine)

Code:
        <UnitArtInfo>
            <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_CHAMPION_ARCHOS</Type>
            <Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/units/Archos Chosen.dds</Button>
            <fScale>0.49</fScale>
            <fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
            <bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
            <bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
            <NIF>Art/Units/civs/archos/chosen/swordsman.nif</NIF>
            <KFM>Art/Units/Charlemagne_HeavySwordsman/HeavySwordsman.kfm</KFM>
            <ShadowDef>
                <ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/UnitShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
                <ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
                <fShadowScale>1</fShadowScale>
            </ShadowDef>
                <fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
                <fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
                <bActAsRanged>0</bActAsRanged>
                <TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
            <AudioRunSounds>
                <AudioRunTypeLoop/>
                <AudioRunTypeEnd/>
            </AudioRunSounds>
        </UnitArtInfo>

That is the entry for the Chosen, and the comma at the start of <Button> should not be there - it's a leftover from how the Champion art was done.

Good catch and report on that one though - I've added it to the next version.

Is there any way to block my units from getting weapons promotions? Because they are getting them and they end up being stronger than other units with the extra poison damage.

They should only be able to get one Weapon promotion level less than usual - warriors/tribesmen on Bronze only, axemen/brute and champion/chosen are upto iron and only immortals gain Mithril.

It basically means that they're never too dependant on metal resources for their melee line, though Warriors are weaker overall, whilst Champions have a certain edge as Mithril tends to be rare anyway.

Vehem - here are the 3 palaces for this version. 1.1 fscale for each pic, but they need to be tinkered with.

Archos -

file

Chislev -

file

Dural -

file

winddelay did most of the work after I did the concepts so all credit goes to him. I didn't put them into the db, should I?

Ah, thank you very much Vehem and you're probably right about the weapons promotions being applied selectively, but from the descriptions of the units and such, I got the impression that they got no weapon upgrades.

Hi Vehem, I am impressed with all of the quality work you have put into this Modmod, but I have some comments.

As of yet, I have only played as the Archos, and, while the coolness and flavor factor of this Civ are off the charts, Daracaat is the weakest leader in the game, and Mother, while impressive, is the only Hero that also ties up a Civ's world spell. This, combined with their relative weakness vs. anything that isn't alive, gives the Archos a long-term hamstring that is difficult to recover from.

I would suggest either a new world spell (making Mother a Hero that is built like normal), or a Hero unit that is independent of Mother (I personally would prefer this more, the idea of a drider-like unit that bridges the gaps between spider and man, with a feature similar to Barnaxus' ability to empower golems, would really be awesome). I noticed that you are already considering another leader.

Again, great work, I look forward to what you do with the lizzies.

BTW, I don't think it can be done, but is there a way to prevent the Barb giant spiders from attacking the Archos? Seems wrong that I constantly lose Archos scouts to their brothers in the jungles.

Vehem - Do you have plans to do custom unit/building buttons? Maybe P_L will volunteer. ;)

Just browse the graphics section of CFC for a moment and you wind up with a folder of 1046 custom icons (and that is after I deleted everything obviously technological or modern, and some that I just never thought I would use, plus most of the ones I recognized as already being in FfH).

Vehem i did some stuff though its too raw to show it here, and i been busy lately, do you have skype?
i have brainstorm compositions (black sketch art for future painting and more detailed work)
(i just prefer to talk when i show you it, online, than posting and leaving some thing that is still unfinished , but already shows something)

Vehem - Do you have plans to do custom unit/building buttons? Maybe P_L will volunteer. ;)

At the moment I'm using screenshots for the button artwork (generally from the 'pedia). If anyone volunteers to do others, I'd be most grateful :)

==

Regarding the Archos, I played most of my multiplayer playtest games as them and didn't really find them to be particularly weak. The line of research they tend to follow is generally underused, but very potent and having Mother and Haruspex at the end of it is a nice combination. I am tempted as I said earlier in the thread to add the Barnaxus effect to Mother with regard to her spider-offspring (they gain Empower Levels equal to her Combat Levels).

The other thing I may be tempted to do is slightly increase the spider spawning rate in some way. For those that have played as Archos (or against them) - what do you reckon to the current rate at which the nest generates spiders?

when i last played Archos i always had at least 12-15 giant spiders. this was a bit of a pain becasue of the upkeep costs, but they were very helpful. i think the current spawn rate is fine. i also dont think they are weak in any respect. they have extremely good potential and if used properly can be a deadly force.

In my current game as the Duval, as luck would have it, I have the Archos on my Northern border.

They have declared war on me several times, and with only Tribesmen as defenders, would have been easy to wipe out. However, I decided to let them stay around and have a look at their ai skills. ;)

They eventually started spamming Brutes. I never saw many Baby Spiders, and they never crossed into my territory. I thought that was strange. If I sent one of the Stooges or a HN Nightwatch into Archos territory, they attack though.

Now, 700 turns in (Epic speed) they have adopted my ROK religion and have become somewhat of an ally against the 3 AV Evil civs on the map - Sheelba, Dain, and Faeryl Viconia. I have even gifted the Archos a few Rangers to assist as they only keep building Brutes.

No sign of their hero unit yet, and, as I said, it is turn 700+.

BTW, the Professor unit for the Duval is quite good. One nit noy thing though: the college says it gives 1 GP, but it doesn't say towards what. Sage? Bard?

Thanks again for adding a lot of fun to already great mod!:goodjob:

well i deicided to do that for now. :p
This is unfinished (need polishing, hands, colors, brightness), and still need some work being done with, leaderhead of Daracaat.
The only thing that is ready is top of his mace atm.
Savage one...
Please start flaming and stuff. I am ready :p

1st one, darker one, is original, but is very dark (inside cave look - how i drawed it for a mo)
Second one is using filter, with brighter colors... i dont like neon colors it make, but its better cause its brighter. Note, its unpolished , and i should work on colors and 3d shading and details. Consider those as starting sketch, rely on atmosphere and composition .

Attachments

• Daracaat-2.jpg
    Daracaat-2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 360
  • Daracaat-22.jpg
    Daracaat-22.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 384
Top Bottom