GOTM 177 Spoiler

Ali Ardavan

Mathematician
Retired Moderator
The game was posted nearly 8 weeks ago and there is no spoiler yet?!!
Hmm...

I started playing earlier today. Only played till -3000 so far and I am not doing very well. Part of that is because I did not get a unit from the first hut. Had to choose between Alphabet and 25g; and I chose the latter. The other is that by founding my capital on the SW tile of the starting position (to get 2 instead of just 1 special) I lost access to the only visible forest and could not produce fast enough. I do not think I made the wrong decision and I expect my decision to pay off in the long term but it slowed down my early production.

At -3000 I have one city and expect to build my next one the next turn. I have not met anyone either.

Finished this game and GOTM178 long ago. Didn't do superhot since I missed LH AND Colossus. Unfortunate AT's can slow down SSC development quite a lot sometimes. Anyway, here's with my pre-game notes.

GOTM 177! This one’s a little bit special. Large map, but only allowed to build a maximum of 20 cities at a time. Can also choose the best of 2 outcomes for the first 2 huts.

The big question for this GOTM is going to be the following, With limited resources, where are you going to send your foreign settlers for optimal trade routes? Will you build 20 coastal cities to support 20 boats in Republic? Is trade going to be that important compared to SSC development?

The other big thing is that you really have to focus on snagging WoW’s earlygame, since you can’t simply conquer the AI’s to snag the points back. 7 civs makes it really hard. Earlygame and midgame as well… I really wonder if we will have any trading partners at all that will be worth it, honestly. Limited resources + large map debuff for payouts… But how the heck and I am going to pay for lategame invasions w/o a steady stream of van revenue. Maybe focus solely on grabbing all WoWs available? Let a few of them go if they’re close by?

DEITY difficulty. HG first, as usual (need it to celebrate!), but will skip Pyramids (conquer that one) and go for Colossus > Marco > Lighthouse. Sucky thing is that we will have all red hats but no black hats on Republic, so it’s going to be difficult to get celebrations running. Some Courthouses/markets will probably be needed. Shakes/SoL might be core to get 0-turn Anarchy Falls going when lategame hits, but that’s really fancy and might not be needed. (Make sure to get the triggering city at a later spot than your SSC…) The question is: how am I going to prioritize settlers vs. vans… probably will build less quick settlers very early game. (Postgame edit: Dummy. Should have stuck to the plan.)

NOTE: Will swap to my non-Find-City-bugged .exe to find out where enemy WoW cities are, so I can get to them quicker. Might not always want to wait for Marco’s.

Also, might need to send settlers in boats near cities that will need to be conquered later on (a.k.a. the cities that have wonders) They need to be there early enough so they can celebrate, grow and support an army. Also early enough so they can be fully grown by the time Radio/Automobile is researched (otherwise delay Flight as much as possible) Might even need to forgo popping huts if it might give me a suboptimal 20th city location!

Anyway, that’s it for my pre-game thoughts. On with the show. This is it. The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show!

…

Waitwhat?

4000 BC: Zulus, Germans, Spanish, Americans and Greeks in this game. We already have pop a hut… since this map is not premade I suspect we will get the classical 60-20-20 distribution for units-tech-gold instead of a random AT on the first turn. Although the latter would be sweet!! 1. NONE Archer, 2, 50g. Black clicking reveals a lot of landmass 5 on the eastern shores (SW, then NE) so I choose the exploring unit. And I forgot to save! Thankfully it only takes 5 tries to get the completely irrelevant result on record. Karakorum built.

3950 BC: > Alphabet. Will not attempt a size-1.

3900 BC: Build road SW of Karakorum for that sweet money.

3650 BC: Hut time! 1. Archer, 2. Pottery. That one’s a lot bigger dilemma… Oh wow, the path to the eastern Karakorum shores is actually north of the city and not south! Ok, this basically confirms I have to take option no 2. Cannot afford to mess up my Martial Unit order w/o endangering my exploration speed. SE seems to be a dead end, one unit is plenty enough and a second one would merely drain my shield production in the capital. Samarkand built. Remember, well spaced out! (2/20)

3350 BC: SE seems to be a dead end as seen. NE has lots of rough terrain (marshes)

3150 BC: Alphabet > Burial. Techrate 20 turns.

3050 BC: Hut: AT of Bokhara. Kinda had a feeling this would happen. Always does when there are really sweet trade specials nearby and you never manage to get a 4-shot. Might need to move it if the square at (37, 57) is a trade special. Gems is of the Whale variety, right? Hang on, lemme check something on the MapEditor real quick.

Waitwhat? WHALE GIVES IRON? That’s really surprising. Also gives wine, so there’s a potential special missed out on when we reach Explosives. That means that the 37, 57 square is of the fish variety. Still, two trade specials… but according to sethos.gmxhome.de, it takes 60 turns to transform an iron special into a wine one! Takes 11 turns for 3 engineers, that’s not too bad. Technically, there’s a way to get in in 8 turns, but ain’t nobody got time fo dat.

Interturn: AMERICAN CIV DESTROYED BY BARBS. Ohhhhhh snap! Celtics in the game. No refunds!

3000 BC: Making that spaced out cities feels extremely innatural. There actually isn’t any special on 37, 57? That’s surprising. Anyhow, not gonna bother making a recap until 2000 BC.

2800 BC: Nishapur built. (4/20) Hut: Settlers! That’s nice.

2650 BC: Samarkand settlers.

2600 BC: Burial > CoL. Wait, why is Bokhara producing a settler? That’s suboptimal…

2500 BC: Civil disorder in Bokhara. Hut: Warrior Code.

2450 BC: Kashgar built. Tabriz built. (6/20)

2250 BC: Karakorum settlers, HG started.

2000 BC: Aleppo built. Now, Karakorum can actually start gaining shields for HG.

STATUS AT 2000 BC: (Beginning of 41th turn)
Population: 110.000 Cities: 7 Governmt: Despotism Total advances: 7 (researching CoL)
Gold: 19 T4L0S6 Income/Cost per turn: 2 income, 0 cost. Production: 16MT 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: None
Foreign relations: Nobody has been met. Americans killed by Barbs.

Things get worse. Dang you, Warrior Code hut...

Finished this game and GOTM178 long ago.
Wow! Why didn't you start a spoiler then?

… But how the heck and I am going to pay for lategame invasions w/o a steady stream of van revenue.
Were you planning to win by conquest? It is allowed, but somehow I doubted many attempt that. I am definitely planing to play for spaceship.

3650 BC: Hut time! 1. Archer, 2. Pottery. ... I have to take option no 2.
The choice was only for the first hut not the second. You should read the game description more carefully.
Even though you chose the second outcome, thankfully the two outcomes were not vastly different in being advantageous and thus I would not consider your game disqualified. Had the first outcome been barbarians or the second outcome been a none settler ...
3050 BC: Hut: AT of Bokhara... there are really sweet trade specials nearby and you never manage to get a 4-shot.
The way the huts are placed in Civ2, you never get a hut at a 4-special location, ever.

Oh my lord, I didn't see that the best-of-2 choice was for the first hut only... my brain must have automatically thought "oh, bestofX choices, so it's like GOTM174" and thought it was 2-2 just like it was 3-3 last time. That's what I get for not reading properly. I'm so sorry. Dunno if it screwed me or not, since I'd get another tech from huts (so Monarchy was hidden for one turn) but still. FeelsBad.

I had problems again. After getting MPE, suddenly all the AI had vast amounts of gold and built every wonder. A bit annoying as I was doing sort of okay. I was keeping a log so I'll post it so you get the general idea of what I was going to do, but until I get the problem fixed (must be something unique to my version of windows / laptop) then it seems pointless starting more games.

I'm guessing that the game difficulty reverted to <nil> a.k.a. undefined... which makes the game go haywire. I did mention earlier that it happens when I try to use the Find CIty function for my .exe (bugged) Maybe try to save every turn and hunt down the root cause/triggering event of this bug? I really don't know what else you could do tbh. Do you have saves a few turns before Marco's completion?

CharlieChuck, I hope you find the problem and can keep playing.

As for this game, once you fix the problem, go back to your last save before Marco and keep playing.

-4000 Chose 25g over Alphabet.
-3950 Karakorum founded at the 2 special site.
-3900 -> Alphabet. The other special is grass covered. Put 19g towards horseman production.
-3650 Horseman produced. Settler started. Horseman goes south. None settler starts converting grass covered special.
-3450 50g from hut.
-3400 Alphabet -> Code of Laws. Karkorum is size 2 and produces a warrior for crowd control.
-3150 Karakorum's Silk is uncovered.
-3050 Settler produced.

Status at -3000
Population: 0.01M; Cities: 1; Techs: 4; Government: Despotism
Gold: 29; Cost: 0; Trade routes: 0D0F;
Wonders:
Units: 2 Settlers (1 None), 1 warriors, 1 horseman
Goals: Expansion, Monarchy
white: no contact
Zulu: no contact
German: no contact
Spanish: no contact
American: no contact
Greek: no contact

-2950 Samarkand founded two tiles away from capital as a helper that will eventually be disbanded.
-2850 Laws -> Burial.
-2750 100g from hut. This is great; third best possible outcome after None settler and advanced tribe. I can definitely use the money to speed up settler production.
-2550 50g from hut on forest. Now I have more money that I can use. A none settler would have been great.
-2450 Barbarians land across the sea from Karakorum.
-2300 Pottery from hut. This is bad.
-2250 Barbarian archer from landing party reaches wandering warrior which backs up. Bokhara founded on a 2 special at 49,63.
-2200 Barbarian archer follows my warrior. This is bad. Now I have to build a chariot just to kill this guy and its leader is nowhere in sight.
-2150 Barbarian archer breaks pursuit. Barbarian horseman from hut is killed by mine.
-2000 Barbarian archer moves towards Karakorum. Burial -> Monarchy.

Status at -2000
Population: 0.03M; Cities: 3; Techs: 7; Government: Despotism
Gold: 72; Cost: 0; Trade routes: 0D0F;
Wonders:
Units: 2 Settlers (1 None), 1 warriors, 1 horseman
Goals: Expansion, Monarchy
Celt: no contact

I started a couple of weeks ago. I am almost done (spaceship is on the way). With only 20 cities allowed, this was a bit different. Also, not quite sure what to do with my engineers and settlers as the end nears, since I can't just build cities for score.

With nothing but grass visible, size 1 is unlikely. Choices for the hut are Archer and Pottery.
Zulus, Germans, Spanish, Americans and Greeks are in game. White did not build on turn 1

-4000 Hut -> Archer, 2nd Settler begins road.
-3950 Archer moves south reveals wheat (seed is 26), settler moves to 48,56
-3900 Settler to 48,54 for capital (2 special), other settler builds road, Archer continues south
-3850 Archer continues south, potential huts are underwater, Karakorum founded at 48,54
-3800 start CB (12), Move to 49,57 for city 2, Archer moves East
-3750 Samarkand founded at 49,57
-3600 Karakorum Warrior, heads west
-3550 Hut (58,60) -> Nomads
-3500 CB -> Alphabet (26)
-3100 Bokhara founded at 60,56

stats at -3000:
pop.: .07; cities: 3; techs: 4, gov: Despotism, gold: 30; trade routes: 0D0F; cost/turn:0
units: 4 Warriors, 1 Archer
wonders: None

White: No Contact
Zulu: No Contact
Germans: No Contact
Spanish: No Contact
Americans: No Contact
Greeks: No Contact

-2950 Alphabet -> Code of Laws (39)
-2750 Hut -> Warrior Code (60)
-2700 Karakorum Settler
-2600 Samarkand Settler (I somehow forgot to include this in the original post)
-2550 Hut -> 50
-2450 Hut -> Horse (Karakorum)
-2300 Hut -> Horse (Karakorum), Hut -> 50
-2250 Barbs near Bokhara
-2150 CoL -> Monarchy (75), Hut -> 1 Barb Horse
-2100 Horse killed by Barb, kill Barb horse north of Karakorum (Vet), RB Bokhara 10sh
-2050 Bokhara Settlers

stats at -2000:
pop.: .09; cities: 3; techs: 7, gov: Despotism, gold: 165; trade routes: 0D0F; cost/turn:0
units: 3 Settlers, 5 Warriors, 1 Archer, 1 Horse

Celts: No Contact

-1950 warrior kills Barb Horse, Nishapur founded at 51,65
-1900 100K, Meet Celts at 35,63, Peace, 50 Tribute
-1800 Kashgar founded at 38,54
-1700 kill barb Horse
-1550 Monarchy -> Currency (90), RB Kashgar 1sh
-1500 REVOLUTION
-1450 Monarchy established
-1350 RB Kashgar 3sh, Nishapur 5sh
-1100 Celts offer MM, declined, 100 tribute, Americans start Pyramids
-1050 Currency -> Trade (105)
-1000 Hut -> Nomads

stats at -1000:
pop.: .16 cities: 5; techs: 9, gov: Monarchy, gold: 386; trade routes: 0D0F; cost/turn:0
units: 6 Settlers, 6 Warriors, 1 Phalanx, 1 Archer, 1 Horse

Celts: No Embassy

-4000 Hut -> Archer, 2nd Settler begins road.
Why not move the second settler so you could build your capital faster? Did you want to make sure you have a road before building it?

stats at -3000:
pop.: .07; cities: 3; techs: 4, gov: Despotism, gold: 30; trade routes: 0D0F;

-2700 Karakorum Settler

stats at -2000:
pop.: .09; cities: 3; techs: 7, gov: Despotism, gold: 165; trade routes: 0D0F;
What?? You build a settler in -2700 and 14 turns later it has still not built a city? I suppose it is doing improvements, but then why did you not keep your initial none settler or the nomad for that purpose?

-1900 100K,
What do yo mean by 100K?

Why not move the second settler so you could build your capital faster? Did you want to make sure you have a road before building it?

Yes, I wanted the road built before building the 2 cities.

What?? You build a settler in -2700 and 14 turns later it has still not built a city? I suppose it is doing improvements, but then why did you not keep your initial none settler or the nomad for that purpose?

I am not sure what the settler was doing. I'll have to review. I will edit the response once I find out.
UPDATE: The settler was used to found Kashgar which was 10 moves from Karakorum. Along the way he built 4 roads. Also, note that I somehow forgot to include the settler built in Samarkand in -2600. It was used to found Nishapur, but it built the road to all the way before founding the city.

What do yo mean by 100K?
That means my civilization's population reached 100,000.

I'm guessing that the game difficulty reverted to <nil> a.k.a. undefined... which makes the game go haywire. I did mention earlier that it happens when I try to use the Find CIty function for my .exe (bugged) Maybe try to save every turn and hunt down the root cause/triggering event of this bug? I really don't know what else you could do tbh. Do you have saves a few turns before Marco's completion?

I can't remember using the find city function, though it's possible I did after getting Marcos as after swapping maps I could find one of the civs. I was saving regularly and keeping a log so I'll go back a few more turns than I had been trying.

CharlieChuck, I hope you find the problem and can keep playing.

As for this game, once you fix the problem, go back to your last save before Marco and keep playing.

Thanks. After rediscovering CIV2, it's frustrating to not be able to play.

-1950 Freshly produced chariot kills barbarian archer approaching the capital. Nishapur founded at 4-special site 55,65. It will be my science city.
-1850 Barbarian horseman from hut. My hut luck has gone from mediocre to awful.
-1800 Barbarian horseman kills mine.
-1700 Kashgar founded with access to Iron as another temporary helper city.
-1400 Kashgar's horseman runs into 2 Celtic warriors and the supreme Celts demand 50g which I reject. They declare war. My power is inadequate! I expected higher.
-1350 Horseman survives one Celtic warrior but the second one kills it off. Monarchy -> Currency.
-1300 Revolution started.
-1250 Monarchy established. T3L0S7
-1150 Chariot kills Celtic warrior.
-1050 Tabriz founded NW of the capital at a 2 special site (one grass covered).
-1000 Celtic settler walks next to my chariot. Call Celts; they want wheel; no; war. Chariot kills Celtic settler and turns vet. My power is weak and Celts are two notches down.

Status at -1000
Population: 0.1M; Cities: 6; Techs: 8; Government: Monarchy
Gold: 47; Cost: 0; Trade routes: 0D0F;
Wonders: 2 being built
Units: 3 Settlers (1 None), 3 warriors, 2 Chariots
Goals: Expansion (3 more cities planned in homeland), Trade, Marco, Hanging Gardens, Colossus
Celt: no embassy; war with me

-0975 Celts bring an archer and a phalanx to my now vet chariot. Currency -> Trade. Celts still not offering peace. Vet chariot kills both Celtic units. Other Chariot kills Celtic phalanx.
-0900 Aleppo founded near the NE corner of the homeland at a 2 special site (one grass covered).
-0875 Spanish start Colossus and Americans Pyramids. My power is up to moderate and Celts are down to weak. Call Celts; they offer cease fire; I accept but reject peace in hope of a counter offer but there is none; they ignore my demand for tribute.
-0850 Monarchy, peace -> Celt (2) -> Mapmaking, 0g. They also have writing and warrior code.
-0825 Germans join the wonder race by starting work on Pyramids.
-0800 Kabul founded on the 3-special site at 36,50.
-0775 Trade -> Writing. T7L0S3
-0725 First Trireme built for revealing sea specials. Celt -> 0g. I am up to Mighty and they are down to weak.
-0675 Zulu join the wonder race by starting work on Hanging Gardens. Ormuz founded on the 3-special site at 37,61. Power is finally supreme.
-0625 Celts declare war over my demand for tribute. Celtic warrior killed.
-0600 Accepted Celtic offer of 100g for peace.
-0550 Wheel -> Celt (1) -> writing. Literacy from hut.
-0525 -> Seafaring. Hanging Gardens built in Nishapur. Kish founded as the first offshore city on island 31.
-0500 Spanish beat me to Colossus. Could not have helped it.

Status at -0500
Population: 0.37M; Cities: 10; Techs: 13; Government: Monarchy
Gold: 15; Cost: 0; Trade routes: 0D0F;
Wonders: Hanging Gardens
Units: 3 Settlers (1 None), 14 warriors, 2 Chariots, 2 Triremes
Goals: Exploration, Expansion (2 more cities planned right now), Marco (4 turns)
Celt: no embassy;
Spanish: no contact; Colossus

The Spanish got Colossus? That's bad. Could have been worse though, they can be traded with relatively easily with Triremes. At least not as bad as Colossus in Cardiff.

1950 BC: Hut: Settlers again! If only I could get tech&#8230; like you know, Currency/Trade? Yeah, that&#8217;d be great.

1900 BC: CoL > Monarchy not available&#8230; Currency is chosen instead. Kaboul built. In bounds with Bokhara, but I&#8217;m going to move that city anyways so it doesn&#8217;t matter that much. What does matter is the riot factor tho. Ormuz built. (9/20)

1850 BC: Civil disorder in 3 cities&#8230; ow! Karakorum going to riot in 2 turns. Garrison isn&#8217;t going to be fast enough. Need Monarchy AND Trade&#8230; bad.

1800 BC: Samarkand starts HG as well.

1750 BC: Hut: 50g. That timing tho. I actually needed that. Since I&#8217;m going to not have Monarchy for a while, now is the time to move Bokhara.

1700 BC: Blunder in a Celtic Warrior. Trade for Map Making. Give 2 techs. They are SW. Might need a city at (37, 61) but that&#8217;s it.

1450 BC: Hut: 25g,

1400 BC: Bokhara builds settlers, and destroys itself. Supported by Kaboul? Huh. If it was closer to an AI civ then would it have been unsupported?

1350 BC: Currency > Monarchy. Celts have entrapped by archer, can&#8217;t move because of ZOC. Bokhara Reborn built, immediately starts Colossus.

1300 BC: Hut: 50g.

1250 BC: I have to work ocean to slow down the settlers in Tabriz. Otherwise, I need to support 2 units and things wouldn&#8217;t work out very well.

1150 BC: Hut: IW. More like EWWWW. Hut: Legion.
Interturn: Celts start Colossus. On the same landmass? No way José. They also brag about Literacy. At least that&#8217;s a worry gone.

1000 BC: Khanbalyk built. (10/20) Somehow I squandered a very strong start.

STATUS AT 975 BC: (Beginning of 62th turn)
Population: 200.000 Cities: 10 Governmt: Despotism Total advances: 11 (researching Monarchy)
Gold: 87 T4L0S6 Income/Cost per turn: 4 income, 0 cost. Production: 24MT 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: None. Building Colossus and HG*2. Celts building Colossus.
Foreign relations: Peace w/Celts. Americans killed by Barbs.

Maybe I should have built only one settler in my first few cities instead of two, since expansion was capped anyway? Probably, since I had trouble in the wonders race. Still, that's a risky proposition in a normal game, since that decision can have so many effects down the line...

The Spanish got Colossus? That's bad. Could have been worse though,
The turn I got the warning that they are almost done, I finished Hanging Gardens. Even if I knew earlier I probably would not have risked switching to Colossus.

My start was very slow and apparently the rivals are doing quite well judging by my power rating and an intense wonder race. Not getting a unit from the first hut and having the capital in a spot with no access to forest or shield specials really hurt. I uncovered its Silk special as quickly as I could but those early turns are crucial.

1400 BC: Bokhara builds settlers, and destroys itself. Supported by Kaboul? Huh. If it was closer to an AI civ then would it have been unsupported?
Yes, it would have been.

1000 BC: Khanbalyk built. (10/20) Somehow I squandered a very strong start.
Of the 3 logs posted so far (haleewud, you, and I) you are still significantly ahead. You have 10 cities and 11 techs vs. 6 & 8 for me and 5 & 9 for haleewud. That more than makes up for being in despotism vs. Monarchy for us.

Thanks Jokemaster, that did the trick and I'm now back playing. Sorry for missing the comment the first time about find city.

I'm still in the BC's but here is the first chunk of my attempt.

Plan build initial city on 2 special and 3 temporary cities very close by.

4000 Hut = Archer or Alphabet - chose Alpha
3950 Karakorum [1] on 2 special, other settler will make road S of Kara then move northwest to build intermediate city
3900 Start Code
3500 Samarkand 44,52 [2] Karak Warrior
3350 Code -> Ceremon
3000 Samarkand Warrior
2850 Cerem -> Monarchy
2800 Settler
2750 Karak disorder, Bokara [3] 46,56
2700 Samark warrior explores
2450 Samark Settler
2250 Nishapur [4] 47,51
2200 Moncarchy -> Currrency , Revolution
2050 Moncarchy est 3-7-0

-0450 Republic from hut! Could revolt now but I am going to wait till the next cycle to give myself a decent chance at extortion of rivals. Warrior disbanded to speed up Marco by one turn.
-0425 Marco built. Nomad from hut! T3L0S7
Mapmaking, Republic, peace -> Spanish (4) -> Iron Working, Masonry, 0g
Peace, Republic -> Zulu (5) -> Polytheism, 0g
Literacy, Republic, peace -> American (2) -> Mysticism, Construction, 100g
Literacy, peace -> German (3) -> Seafaring, 150g
Mapmaking, Construction, peace -> Greek (0) -> 0g
Republic -> Celt (1) -> 0g
-0400 -> Math. American -> maps. Monarchy -> German; cut off. Celt -> 75g; Zulu, Spanish, Greek -> 0g
-0375 Celt -> 75g; all others ignore me.
-0350 Americans build Pyramids. First structure, a library in science city of Nishapur, is built. Philosophy from hut. This is bad because I am half way done with math and thus get only half a tech instead of a full one. Celt -> 50g; all others ignore me. Revolution started.
-0325 Celt -> 25g; all others ignore me. Republic established. T2L7S1. 50g from hut.
-0300 Zulu build Lighthouse. Math -> Monotheism. 3 cities celebrate. Engineering from hut.
-0225 2 cities drop out of celebration (having each added 2 citizens) and one joins. Nomad founds Khanbalyk on the 3-special site at 49, 37. Tech bombed all rivals to Cordial and exchanged maps with all of them.
-0200 Nishapur is size 8 and I am too poor to rush an Aqueduct. All others have stopped to celebrate. Added 9 citizens in total. T3L4S3
-0175 Khorasan founded as the second offshore city on island 36. Medicine from hut!
-0150 Invention from hut.
-0125 Barbarian legions land 3 tiles from Khanbalyk. Elephant from hut; this was my 15th hut and first unit! Shangtu founded on the 4-special site at 50,84.
-0100 5 barbarian horsemen from hut surround my elephant.
-0075 Barbarian horsemen kill my elephant. Barbarian legion does not head straight for Khanbalyk giving me some time to hopefully get my chariot there.
-0050 Legion from hut.
-0025 None legion from hut near Germans.
+0001 Barbarians keep ignoring Khanbalyk. King Richard's built in size 8 Nishapur. T3L5S2

Status at +0001
Population: 1.0M; Cities: 13; Techs: 25; Government: Republic
Gold: 46; Cost: 6; Trade routes: 0D0F;
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Marco, King Richard
Units: 7 Settlers (1 None), 7 warriors, 2 Legions (1 None), 2 Chariots, 2 Triremes, 1 Diplomat, 1 caravan
Goals: Exploration, Expansion, Michelangelo (41/400), Shakespeare
Celt: 5 cities, 15 techs;
Zulu: 7 cities, 17 techs; Lighthouse
German: 5 cities, 20 techs
Spanish: 7 cities, 15 techs; Colossus
American: 6 cities, 20 techs; Pyramids
Greek: 7 cities, 11 techs

King Richard prioritized above Marco? That's really odd.

Anyways, here's with the most NA log possible... NaCl that is.

975 BC: Hut: 50g.

950 BC: Saving my gold for van building, dunno if it&#8217;s the right choice. Khorasan built.

925 BC; CD in Samarkand. That&#8217;s kinda bad. 5 turns for a warrior from Khanbalyk to restore the peace. Trade is a 2. Going to wait before popping that hut since I don&#8217;t want to endanger the 825 BC Monarchy timing.
Interturn: Germans start Pyramids. RIP.

900 BC: I think I&#8217;m good to pop. ADVANCED TRIBE! Both a blessing and a curse. (12/20)

875 BC: T6L0S4. Hut: 50g.
Interturn: Greeks start Colossus.

850 BC: Slight modifications to worker priority to ensure Monarchy next turn.

825 BC: Monarchy > Trade. Revolution, Monarchy. T3L0S7. Hut: Masonry.

800 BC: Hut: Feudalism. Darnit. I&#8217;m so far away from Trade&#8230; this earlygame is terrible outside of hut luck. And it&#8217;s still terrible BECAUSE of hut luck!

750 BC: Hut: Barbs, rip explorer. Celts warn us to leave Caernafon, literaly 2 turns until a boat bails you out&#8230; Kazan built. (13/20)

725 BC: Hut: Settlers. Somehow I am more excited about the NONE settler than about the potential city. Still one more city to be placed, gotta get one near each AI (Celts obvious exception and Americans dead.)

700 BC: Damn, such a good map for normal expansion&#8230; my home continent is humongous.

650 BC: My adversaries are quiet. Too quiet. Still no vans! Barely halfway&#8230; 23, 21, 23 turns on a 200s wonder. I&#8217;m not getting any second chances. Quinsay built. (14/20)

600 BC: CELTS ALMOST DONE WITH COLOSSUS. You gotta be kidding me&#8230; Not only do I not get it, but it&#8217;s on the same landmass! Wow, that Warrior Code hut screwed me over something fierce. No vans early enough: RIP. Guess I have to settle for Cope&#8217;s and Isaac&#8217;s. Or maybe conquer their civ immediately and raze the rest. Man, this womps&#8230; Hut: Chivalry. FOR F///K&#8217;S SAKE. Nothing&#8217;s going right for this poor guy.
Interturn: Cardiff builds Colossus. Yep. Greeks switch to LH. I switch to LH as well.

550 BC: Zulus start Oracle. Cardiff may be built on a special?

525 BC: Hut: Mathematics. Man, this is triggering. Oh, hello German settler&#8230; not gonna contact until Trade is researched.

500 BC: But I will pop this hut. BARBS. My f&#8217;ing luck&#8230;
Interturn: Greeks almost done with Lighthouse. My. Ears. Are. Fuming.

STATUS AT 475 BC: (Beginning of 82th turn)
Population: 200.000 Cities: 14/20 Governmt: Monarchy Total advances: 16 (researching Trade&#8230; still)
Gold: 77 T3L0S7 Income/Cost per turn: 6 income, 0 cost. Production: 49MT 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: None. Lost Colossus and LH already.
Foreign relations: Peace w/Celts, spotted Germans. Americans killed by Barbs

475 BC: Hut: Knights. Seems like the AI wants me to take it out on the Celts.
Interturn: Athens builds LH.

450 AD; Trade > Mysticism. Trade techs with Celts. They seem to have lots of chariots around. Please, please no walls&#8230; They actually found Washington!
Interturn: Germans almost done with Pyramids. This is humiliating. Fortunately no one seems to care for HG.

425 BC: 2 cities vans. 3rd WoW city will probably end up building Sun Tzu or GW.
Interturn: Celts start Marco Polo&#8217;s. Pls...

400 BC: Van in Samarkand: 4 shields for HG. At least that one&#8217;s secure.

375 BC: SAMARKAND HG. Kerman built.

350 BC: Naples built. 16/20. Bokhara Reborn switches to Sun Tzu.
Interturn: German boat randomly assaults mine, but is repelled. This is not good for my sodium levels.

300 BC: Find City gives me Athens on the other side of Washington&#8230; Issos built.

250 BC: Hut: Settlers.

125 BC: Mongols most powerful. Marco&#8217;s next turn, finally. 47s left for Sun Tzu.

100 BC: MPE in Bokhara Reborn: Celts switch to GL. No contest, most likely. It&#8217;s in their capital fortunately. Swap Pottery for The Republic. Zulus: give Republic and The Wheel, maps. (far SE, near Greeks) Germans: Swap techs and maps. Just went over 20 techs. I don&#8217;t care that much, honestly as I can just build Temples. Maps from Spanish (far NE) Greeks: Swap for more techs. No surprise on their location either. Zulus would have been fine trading partners if it wasn&#8217;t for losing LH&#8230;

75 BC: > Philosophy. Techrate 26 turns&#8230; Hut: Philosophy. Holy, that was actually super lucky&#8230; don&#8217;t do that at 2 in the morning!

50 BC: >Monotheism > Theology. If I can prevent the Zulus from building something might as well. Original plan was to go to war w/ST, but screw that! I can do the whole PDS thing instead. Hut: Settlers. Damnit, was hoping for Theology.

25 BC: Germans: no tribute.
INTERTURN: Zulus swap to GL after learning Literacy.

STATUS AT 1 AD: (Beginning of 101th turn)
Population: 710.000 Cities: 17/20 Government: Monarchy Total advances: 26 (researching Theology)
Gold: 58 T3L0S7 Income/Cost per turn: 15 income, 1 cost. Production: 68MT 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: HG and MPE (2/5) Mikes in 2 turns.
Foreign relations: Peace+maps with everyone. Americans killed by Barbs
Interturn: Zulus build GL, Celts switch to GW. Well, I&#8217;m not getting any warfare done early. Dead-locked into a growth strat. Losing Colossus is ARRRGH.

That Philo hut was super lucky in hindsight. Wow.

King Richard prioritized above Marco? That's really odd.
I built Marco as my second wonder and had it when King Richard's was built. Perhaps you meant Michelangelo??
Michelangelo is always a higher priority and in this game it got started earlier but due to hut luck and other factors, like your situation with Trade, I could not get to Monotheism fast enough. (Last night I eventually built Michelangelo a turn after I discovered Monotheism.) Meanwhile I had vans, small cities not suitable for trade, and a tight wonder race with rivals. Having already lost Colossus, I dedicated all my vans to wonder building and King Richard's was both available and quite useful (immediately yielding 9 extra shields).

I wanted to start on Mono right after Marco and its ensuing tech trade in -425. But it was not available next and I had to choose Math. Then I got Philosophy from a hut when I was over half done with Math (so got half a tech instead of a full one since you get awarded that tech and your research box is reset). In -300 Monotheism started. In the subsequent turns I got Engineering, Medicine, and Invention from huts. These put me above the 20 tech threshold and made research very expensive.

Anyways, here's with the most NA log possible... NaCl that is.
NA? NaCI? not getting it.

600 BC: CELTS ALMOST DONE WITH COLOSSUS. You gotta be kidding me… Not only do I not get it, but it’s on the same landmass! ... Guess I have to settle for Cope’s and Isaac’s... Interturn: Cardiff builds Colossus. Yep. Greeks switch to LH. I switch to LH as well.
It is not just you. I am in a tight wonder race as well. Have already lost Colossus, and likely I am going to lose Copernicus to Spanish as well. They got Astronomy in +60 and immediately started Copernicus. I am having enough trouble researching Monotheism. There is no way I can research Astronomy fast enough. Unless I get it from a hut, Copernicus is gone. (No other rival is researching it either though I suppose they could get it from a hut and then trade it to me.) Thanks to King Richard's I have the shields in my science city (currently going towards Shakespeare), so it is just a matter of the tech.

Top Bottom