My Barbarians keep disappearing

Autumn Leaf

Since 1992
Strange problem? Strange situation.

I'm using Classic 2.42 to create a small scenario. It's quest-based - the victory conditions are that the player must complete certain quests to win. They must free a hero, build a town (not as easy as it sounds), kill a villain and find something. Naturally I don't want it to be easy, so each objective is smothered in monsters that must be fought, subverted or avoided. Since Civ II doesn't have monsters, I have been using advanced Barbarian units to fill in. Encountering Marines in a medieval game where you're limited to building Knights (at best) seemed good enough.

Well, there is no problem with Barbarians that are supported by a town - the Dark Tower itself appears to work exactly as intended. The problem is, it can't support its moat monsters and one by one the NONE Barbarians I created to patrol the approaches and guard the wizard keep disappearing! The NONE Barbarian Triremes I stationed to provide access to other objectives also disappear.

How can I prevent this? I could set the Barbarians to be Fundamentalism. That would allow the Dark tower to support a dozen or more units. But I'm sure there must be a better way to prevent my pet NONE Barbarians disappearing!

Edited to add: I thought I could hexedit the .sav to make Barbs a Fundamentalist regime but it seems there's no tribe info for Barbs. So it looks like I can't even do that.

Edited to add: correction, looks like I can make the Barbs a Fundamentalism (I just did it). Whew. My main question remains however as there's only one Dark Tower and it can't support a couple of dozen monsters

Top Bottom