pre-TNESV: Applications & Map Generation

I just spotted this. Reading quickly through, I may be just a hint late, but I'd be interested in a fringe or isolated group if there's time/space left.

There's definitely still time. There will probably be some competition for the last spots, since I have expressions of interest from at least 4 people, but everyone who doesn't get in will be encouraged to wait for part 2. Their work also won't be "wasted" since it can be repurposed then.

I'm going to start working on the map based on what I have so far.

Shurazh

Umush tam elig, ya tam ezhigol uman tag eni.

Geography: A region stretching from the southern edge of the tropical zone, all the way to the far end of the southern temperate lands. There are several lower mountain ranges on the edges and interior of their lands, and one or two massive, towering ranges that are all but impassable except to the boldest of adventurers and traders. This geography effectively cuts off the Shurazh from the rest of human civilization. A series of grand rivers connect these lands to the ocean, while countless lakes dot a postglacial region in the colder reaches of this region. A few hilly peninsulas are more isolated from the main river core.

Themes and Values: The Shurazh have developed far separate from the rest of human society, divided by vast hilly forests in the south, inhospitable jungles to the north, and towering cordilleras on almost all sides. They are a matriarchal society. At a local level, oligarchic family matriarchs organize their families and communities, and dictate marriages. Polyandry is a relatively frequent occurrence, particularly among the powerful, leading to the social consequence that many children are understood to have multiple fathers. At a higher level, villages are organized into River Queendoms, and occasionally into vast Empires that span multiple rivers, perhaps even from the sea to the mountains, or from the tropics to the cold north.

Shurazh cannot be understood without first understanding the concept of Dem, the ultimate creative energy. Dem is limitless and timeless, and can be exercised to different degrees by all entities: humans, animals, plants, objects, even non-physical concepts. As such, the Shurazh do not draw a sharp delineation between these different categories, viewing differences as a spectrum, rather than as the separation of different kinds.

In Shurazh cosmology, the world is the most powerful Dem, followed by the great things in the world (mountains, rivers, the sun, the moon), steadily lesser things (forests, nations, clouds, streams), and so forth. In this view of things, the higher classes possess greater Dem, and the Queens possess the greatest creative power of any human. This leads to a caste system, although it is not always rigid, as Dem is a dynamic thing which can wax and wane. Naturally, the rigidity of this system varies from place to place, and over time.

In practical terms, the Shurazh revere the rivers, the mountains, and the moon above all else in the natural world. There are temple-like structures, though they are generally treated more as multi-purpose buildings. Spiritual authority and temporal authority are one and the same among the Shurazh, so a public square is a kind of church, and vice-versa. As such, there isn't really a formalized priesthood. Instead, there is a bureaucracy of sorts, whose authorities oversee both the wellness of the Queendoms and the wellness of the people. Shurazh 'temples' also often have individuals who are dedicated to the betterment of themselves and others. These people train themselves mentally and physically, to increase their own Dem. This monastic tradition is long-established among the Shurazh, and often leads to the formation of fascinating subcultures and mysterious societies within the fabric of the Shurazh Queendoms.

Goals: The Shurazh Queens hope to someday dominate the full breadth of their land, and increase their Dem. This can be interpreted as a mixture of ambition, a quest for greater divinity or holiness, and simply a belief about the natural state of things: just as the mountains and rivers guide the lesser features of the landscape, so do the greatest humans guide their lesser peers. Ultimately, they will seek to expand their influence over other people and things that they encounter, and become the cultural and political hegemons of the world.

Variations: While the river valleys, by dint of their geography, have a tendency towards unification, the isolated mountain valleys, inhospitable jungles, harsh cold forests, and hilly peninsulas on the edge of the sea all have a tendency to remain independent. However, the sheer size, population and cultural output of the Shurazh will doubtlessly heavily influence these people. Some of these places may come to be occupied by Shurazh who adapt their lifestyles to survive in the local environments, others will be composed of their own native populations, who come to adopt Shurazh affectations and practices. In areas closest to the Hae Cham Kolseng, the traders are relatively more influential, giving these cultures a distinctive hybrid flavour.

National Focus: The Shurazh are, above all else, excellent farmers and workers of the land. Farming their rich river valleys is their great source of strength, and is the singular force that has allowed them to attain their great population, urbanization and occupational specialization, and subsequent cultural output.

National Failure: While the Shurazh can be comfortable and fatalistic in their worldviews, they can at the same time be wildly, destructively ambitious, frequently to the detriment of themselves and their people. Similarly, many Shurazh in positions of power turn to hedonism, losing sight of greater things in favour of physical indulgence and short term, decadent pleasures.

Preferred Flora & Fauna: I would like surviving pleistocenesque megafauna, particularly megatherium-equivalents. Large predatory cats would be cool, as would herds of ungulates on the northern frontier. Animal domesticates I would like include dogs, cats, and some sort of small animal useful for food, and maybe a secondary utility (pigs to root, goats for milk, sheep forwool, etc). I absolutely love the idea of domesticating giant sloths for agricultural and industrial purposes, but I'll leave that to you if that's acceptable in this world. Maize and other grains will be fine staple crops. For trees, I would like whatever makes sense in the area, plus some oddities like redwoods, Nothofagus (southern beeches) and a few odd trees, like ginkgoes or monkey puzzle trees.

Yeokapae

Geography: Mountainous-Coastal. A temperate to subtropical coastal region squeezed into a narrow coastal plain between sea and large mountains. Beyond mountains would be semiarid to arid plateau that limits travel/expansion inland, so likely continental or at least rather large island. There are some mineral deposits to be found on the plateau driving some minor settlement situated around collecting and transporting the deposits back to the coastal towns/villages.

Themes and Values: Proximity. Due to the nature of where Yeokapae live, their villages/towns are built in limited space to allow for ample agricultural space. The idea/concept of privacy is limited at best. Only the higher class can expect to obtain some limited privacy, and for most no activity is too taboo that one could not expect someone to walk up to them and have a conversation/discussion. Sleep and the locale one sleeps is given some respect regarding entry, particularly at night, but generally any time sleep is occurring.

Spiritual. The population seeks a spiritual harmony with the world around it. There are no great deities, but instead everything is imbued with spirits, often anthropomorphized so that one can interact with them. Priests exist, but only as a general caretaker over significant areas where many spirits may reside (like a grove of trees by a brook, or a large rock seemingly out of place). Small shelters for the priests plus a small, sheltered altar would exist in these areas.

Some social stratification exists. Those who organise labor duties developed eventually into a ruling class. Heads of towns hold the most sway on the average person’s life, though their decisions can be influenced through regional leaders who are often just the leader of the largest town in the area. Leaderships are often passed by a familial decision made by the survivors of the deceased leader. This can be a turbulent time for the family, but as long as the semi-decadent lifestyle of the ruling family is maintained without upsetting the local populations, then often there is little challenge to the eventual successor.

Those who negotiate and transfer the ore/minerals from the plateau for food/water and the reverse revere themselves as higher than those who reside at either location. Often having a small residence at both locations. Local populations treat them with their perceived importance, but with an air of distrust.

The average person generally is at the lowest level, but it would be seen as a base/normal status with the others above them as opposed to a level to be treated poorly.

Priests are outsiders to this and are generally seen as at all levels of social status.

Goals: Fueled by a wealth of minerals and ores on the plateau, society would flourish along the coast with expansion up and down the narrow coastal plain. Eventual expeditions inland develop trade routes with others while a sheltered inlet is developed to allow for sea trade. There are likely occasional “cleansings” due to tsunami washing over the more populated coast.

Variations: Limited contact with others tends to keep the population mostly homogenized with itself. Some cultural differences develop between the larger coastal population and those who survive on the plateau. Plateau leaders are less decadent as the general population, and the locals are slightly more conscious of privacy.

National Focus: While conflicts still exist, there is a communal nature to the population. When it comes down to general goals, the Yeokapae are one to easily band together to see things get accomplished.

National Failure: The communal nature with a lack of expected privacy leads to illness running rampant through the villages when something gets introduced.

Preferred Flora & Fauna: Flora: olives, or similar small fruiting plant, legumes of appropriate varieties; broadleaf evergreens found in patches further away from the coast. Fauna: Llama (or other similar high-altitude, arid surviving creature of good size), fish, crabs, shellfish as common food sources. Other creatures as introduced through trade. I’ll defer to what’s available through my placement.

Aesthetically, I've been considering a lot of points on coastline and island design lately, so I'll use this moment to make a sort of mini dev-diary on island design. Pretty much all cradle NESes are beholden to End of Empires, mostly because the map design is beautiful, the players were fantastic, and the mod (NK) was brilliant and absolutely knew his business. Moreso than I do, I will add.

As I've been designing my islands, I've been feeling certain elements of frustration, however, in simply attempting to copy the EoE style. We use black pixels around the lighter colored "land" to denote a coastline, but this often creates a 'shadow' effect that ends up taking up a lot of space. In the past I've always been a proponent of two-pixel borders for coastlines and small islands, but when designing a lot of intricate island systems, I've realized that the two-pixel system makes it somewhat more difficult to see a strictly defined coastline when a lot of islands are piled together.

This is the shadow of an EoE one pixel island:

xxx
xxxxx
xxOxx
xxxxx
xxx​

(The same 2-pixel depth methodology is used for coastlines.)

Effectively, 21 pixels have been sacrificed for only 1 pixel of land. I think this also sacrifices a lot of maneuverability when it comes to island positioning, especially when it comes to narrow straits and jumbles of lots of islands thrown together. At the least it makes where the land ends and the sea starts less immediately obvious to a casual observer.

Of course, just putting a black pixel in the middle of a blue ocean is tiny, and effectively going to be overlooked by most players, even if it is a potentially important strategic island. The only alternative, which still allows for regular coastlines, is the following:

xxx
xOx
xxx​

Another alternative for one-pixel islands is just ugly.

x
xOx
x​

The first alternative takes up much less space, but then it has the unfortunate side effect of making your one-pixel islands look like squares. In spite of this, I think that it's a more effective method of drawing intricate coastlines, at least for my purposes. While I really admire the EoE approach, and it works well, I think that I'm going to stick with a one pixel depth coastline going forward.

In large part, this gives me more space to properly depict a lot of the intricate island chain systems that are far more important to this world's cradle than to our own.

Here's an in progress map of the southern end of the main Xassal island chain, as it meets the peninsulas of the Qae lands, after abandoning both one pixel islands and two-pixel-thick coasts:

Spoiler :

[I still have a little more cleaning up to do in places.]

When viewed at 400% like this, the rectangular shape of the small islands is very obvious, but when viewed at the normal 100% zoom in which the updates will be posted, it looks far less blocky. The "roundedness" of the islands is definitely sacrificed somewhat, but the island shadow impinges less on areas of open water.

The biggest to-do aesthetically is increased "fractalization" on the coastlines, which will happen after I've gotten most of the major geographic features down and I'm happy with their position.

Looking great! I have mixed feelings about the pixel-thickness of my coasts anyway, so I can't object. Next time I make a map, I'll post about it.

You can also add black "one-offs" to make the coasts more irregular. Like so.

X
XXX
XOX
XXX​

or

X__
XXX
X0X
XXX​

Or, more complexly:

__X_
XXXX
XOX_
XXX_​

This can add a tiny bit of character for those small islands without sacraficing too many pixels. This can mark where (on the ground) there would be peninsulas sticking out, lopsidedness, etc.

Activate the HYPErdrive:

My development process is pretty slow, so it's more of a hype tugboat than a hype train. All previous maps have been terminated with extreme prejudice to prevent misinformation and bias, as major things may now be changed outside of the shroud.

This is just a mountains & rivers first draft. Major changes to mountains and rivers (and minor changes to coastlines and islands) are still to come. This shroud will be the main one for Update 1 of Phase 1, but Iggy, ork, and tux (who is confirmed, btw) will have a separate shroud.

Coming soon, more detailed information on Phase 1 for the lucky players! I will be closing consideration for new submissions soon.

Suné Application

Geography: Tropical dissected plateau (high mountain peaks, deep valleys), scoured by an intense rainy season (and potentially a monsoon). Strange avian/reptilian ecology in the deep lowlands, which flood in the rainy season, turning into humid Everglades hell-swamps. Cloud forest in the uplands, giving way to pine and glacier as altitude increases.

Themes and Values: Malthus is ever-present. As the population expands to consume all available resources, the culture responds to the problem of managing population pressure -- patriarchy, hierarchy, and theology to apply social pressure to reduce the birth rate. For example:

* Hierarchy. Literal social stratification -- petty princes in the highlands, an enserfed agricultural class in the lowlands, the need to achieve society-wide coordination.
* Equality. Intense pressures select for social structures that approximate a fair distribution of resources; populations that do not fairly distribute tend to get conquered by populations that do, just based on weight of numbers.
* Argument. Every valley is culturally distinct from its neighbors; monasteries wage philosophical battles by carving texts and sculptures into the mountainside..
* Freedom. The hunter-gather golden age, where everyone lived in the cool highlands, had enough to eat and there weren’t any kings or princes, remains prominent in Suné folk mythology.

Goals: Overcome the limitations of nature.

Original patterns of settlement start with tree crops and eel ponds in the terraced uplands; six to nine months out of the year, people live in the lowlands practicing slash-and-burn agriculture; the next three, they live off a protein-rich diet of aquacultured eel, harvested eggs, and perennial tree crops (nuts? Breadfruit? plantain?)

As societies get larger and more organized, the best land gets taken by thugs with spears, thugs with quills and thugs with incense; enserfment of a permanent agricultural lower class and the establishment of upland religious centers -- nuclei for the first true towns.

Eventually, Malthusian pressure wins, proto-states begin competing for the caloric resources necessary to wage war. Winning is breaking out of that mold -- finding a large, rich and unexploited region to colonize; alternatively, finding new crops or new techniques to

Variations: Every valley has a distinct cultural/monastic tradition, based on the whims of particular priesthood or nobility. If geographically, we can break through to colonize a large empty region suitable for settlement, the polity first able to exploit those resources may do that; alternatively, if a polity is able to break through to the sea and access trade routes, that is potentially a path to break out of stagnation imposed on nature.

National Focus: Mass mobilization. Whether mobilizing corvee labor to carve a path through the mountains, or mobilizing a mass of people to pray to hatch the moon egg, the Suné are able to enlist a large population to do it.

National Failure: Stagnation -> overpopulation -> ecological collapse -> end of urbanization; alternatively, cycle of revolutions/constant intervalley warfare -> population crash -> end of urbanization

Preferred Flora & Fauna: Lowland: cassava, peanuts, beans, tamed kiaro (thunderlizards). Highland: plantain, eel, tree nuts, fruits

This looks great. I am getting ideas for joining at some later stage already. The korean horsepeople have great potential for hybridisation with anyone around them, for example.

I want to be a weirdo as well.

Now updated to most recent version with the equator marked in black:

Here's a brief description of the core cradle region:

The area surrounds a warm, generally placid sea, sheltered from the currents of the vast ocean to the north. Hurricanes typically evolve from the west traveling southeast, and they smash over the outer islands with regularity, although they trouble the southern part of the region less often.

The lowlands of the north, its islands and coastal regions, are covered by dense jungle, with tropical rainforest the predominant vegetation type. The island chain and the vast inland mountain range it transitions into are highly volcanic, with a number of active volcanoes periodically erupting. Although only one mountain in the island chain is large enough to have a permanent snowpack, the vegetation transitions to light forest cover and finally to alpine tableland on some of the higher peaks.

The equator passes directly over the aforementioned glaciated volcano just south of the largest island in the chain. For the most part, the older islands have a number of sheltered bays both shallow and deep, and the elevation ascends fairly modestly. Between the numerous lagoons, wetlands, and dense forest cover, arable land for traditional agriculture is at a premium, promoting primarily tree-based agriculture among the natives. The region is also metal poor, but rich in outcroppings of granite and obsidian.

The mountainous region the island chain meets is notable for sheer, sharp cliffs, black sand beaches and the intense steepness of the land, which rapidly ascends, in some places, thousands of feet in a few miles, giving the jarring impression of palm trees clinging to life on the shore with perennially snow-capped mountains visible in the background. At least five torrential rivers, fed by a thousand alpine streams, pound down the mountain valleys, creating a series of immensely spectacular waterfalls. Obviously these rivers are only navigable on their lower reaches. An intermediate region of temperate land suitable for terrace farming exists above the sweltering, perpetually humid lowland jungles, but the elevation makes organized labor extremely difficult to marshal on a large scale. Settled people are prone to crowding into the lowland river valleys, with communication between many of them only possible by sea, promoting linguistic diversity and political division. The region is rich in metal deposits.

In the southern reaches of this region, the mountain chains begin to break apart, transitioning to a country of broad plains, rolling hills and dry savannas, broken by the occasional, reddish-brown mountain, standing stark and alone over the hills, and immensely eroded monoliths of piled boulders tossed carelessly about everywhere else. (These mountains are the ancient remnants of a much older chain than their northern neighbors.) This countryside surrounds the great jagged bay carved by the floods that broke through after the end of the last ice age, the land around its southern extremities becoming increasingly desertified.

Along the coastline to the west, a thin stretch of mangrove forest clings to the southern edge of the great salt sea, becoming thickest in the delta islands of the great slow river that empties into the ocean, before giving way to plains as soon as the ocean is out of sight. These open plains and alluvial riverlands are much better suited to traditional field-based agriculture, and the wild grains growing in this region were among the first plants to be domesticated by ancient humans several thousand years ago. The area has a rainy season and a dry season, around which agriculture and social cycles are built. It has reasonably good access to metals and minerals, but is poor in high quality timber. The lack of major terrain barriers makes this region a good candidate for establishing large, unified powers with major population centers.

The far south of the world is covered in a vast, unending dune sea broken by the occasional high, wind-carved mesa island, with the exception of the southwest, where the eroded and scattered mountains and rolling golden plains are believed to continue on, perhaps forever, along the shores of the great freshwater sea.

With the exception of several species of large, mostly-flightless birds with garish plumage and hooked foreclaws, who often hunt in packs and range from an exotic pet to a trivial nuisance to a feared predator (based on size) in some of the deeper jungles, fauna in this region are analogous to what one might normally expect for our planet, with horses, pigs, cows, chickens, goats/goat-like antelopes, and guinea pigs all available as domesticates, although some of these sicken and die in the northern jungle.

Top Bottom