I call BS

There was literally nobody else relevant in the game by that point but him and me. He wiped the Incas out completely, he took the capital of Sweden, Brazil somehow survived but...it's Brazil, you know.

If you liberate the other Civs, they won't be relevant in a "win" or "war" sense but they would have been relevant in a "world congress vote" sense.

It was a very specific situation and I'm more than happy to send you the turn 164 save if you think you can do better. Difficulty is 6-Emperor.

If you click "Go Advanced" in the reply at the bottom, if you scroll down you'll see an option to attach a file.

Doesn't taking over CS by force give you major war mongering penalties?

I did this with Mongolia and EVERYONE stared denouncing and talking ish to me the rest of the game ... which was over 250 turns left. They never
let it go.

Destroy his army so he can't intimidate CSes anymore

False. False. COMPLETELY FALSE! I still nurse a grudge over Ottomans for this.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=86724766

They have no military left and is in war against me and yet somehow, they managed to extract tribute from a city state behind my battle line. Catch is, when he somehow pulled that off, I make sure to wipe them out every single time I see them.

Four years of nursing the grudge. Wow that's really.. really long time. :lol:

Anyways about dealing with Alexander.

Some things I really like to do is play as Bismarck so I can afford bigger army + go autocracy for gunboat diplomacy. Fast. Surrounding city states join my side even when I've been bullying them for centuries.

While I race for gunboat diplomacy, I expand + explore the world to find the locations of city states so I can prioritize how my civilization will grow.

One of the few times I find alexander challenging me for control of city states? I go to war against him and remove him from the map so I can bring those city states into my fold too.

End result: I have world's biggest navy + army and is ready to strike anywhere in the world at moment's notice. I've gotten bit too good at this the AI doesn't stand a chance against me anymore so I've been kinda idling for civ6 I guess.

Strong Alexander AI that manages to do a runaway is one of the rare times when Civ5 start to play like a real game. Treasure those moments because they're far and few. And city states become real part of the game. AIs is generally not too good with them.

I agree, it's been ages since I've seen the AI put up a decent fight for CS let alone have them all so I couldn't fight them. I wish I was playing the OP's game. My last game as Venice I somehow got all the CS barely even trying simultaneously going for culture and science victory. It's funny when you have to choose between all 3 ways to win.

It sounds like you were at least even or ahead of Alex in tech. Assuming that's the case, there's no reason that you couldn't go to war. He'll outproduce you, but with proper tactics, you can outwit his navy and probably destroy like 5 ships to every 1 you lose.

The solution is pretty straight forward. Pick Freedom, Treaty Organization and Patronage opener and the policy that gives you extra influence from gold donations.

False. False. COMPLETELY FALSE! I still nurse a grudge over Ottomans for this.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=86724766

They have no military left and is in war against me and yet somehow, they managed to extract tribute from a city state behind my battle line. Catch is, when he somehow pulled that off, I make sure to wipe them out every single time I see them.

Are you aware that "recently" does not mean "Last turn?"

The CS AI won't necessarily hand out a quest on the turn right after they've been tributed. You can see this in multiplayer.

I agree, it's been ages since I've seen the AI put up a decent fight for CS let alone have them all so I couldn't fight them. I wish I was playing the OP's game. My last game as Venice I somehow got all the CS barely even trying simultaneously going for culture and science victory. It's funny when you have to choose between all 3 ways to win.

There's 3 ways to conquer all the other capitals? I usually just move a unit into them.

What's wrong with you guys? He very clearly says he got all the CS while going for culture and science.

3 ways to win -
Diplo
Culture
Science.

Okay guys, enough speculations, here is the save file, go ahead and try it for yourselves. As you can see, I made sure to get education first as I do in nearly all my games but in this specific scenario I got just enough bottom tech so I could take on Theodora since her and Mongolia already hated my guts and the Iroquois got reduced to nothing so I didn't really care what they say. In the continuation of this save file I razed THAT city and captured Constantinople and I see no reason why wouldn't you do the same (in case she is friendly: that's deceiving.)

Afterwards it was Acustics for Sistine chapel, printing press for Globe Theatre, Scientific theory, radio for broadway, plastics were my benchmarks. I also of course picked up industrialisation somwhere in there, and thankfully I did have plenty of coal to work with. I don't think I could have done it any better. I constantly made use of all happiness to make my cities grow as much as possible (I do put a heavy emphasis on food) Apart from that, not sure what else I could have done to get more tech.

Please do not comment on this thread any more unless you tried the save file I posted and saw for yourself the abomination Alexander became, as I already heard enough theorycrafting.

Attachments

• Napoleon_0164 AD-1040.Civ5Save
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 59
Oh come on, I didn't mean it like that...

Are you sure? Because what you said certainly came across that way. A number of posters understood your OP as a request for advice, to get better at Civ so that you could beat Emperor, but now it seems that you just wanted to cry foul and have everyone agree with you that it's impossible. Sorry to say, but it's going to be hard to convince players who can consistently beat Deity (not me, I have beaten Deity but far from consistently) to agree that Emperor is impossible.

I understand that some of the respondents were a bit snooty (looking at the poster who rather unhelpfully replied that "If you aren't miles ahead in tech in Emperor, you already did something wrong"). But if your goal is to get better at Civ, then you'd be much better served by trying again with an open mind, and using some of the advice that was offered. If someone replies, "I declared war on Alex and captured Athens within 50 turns" you're not really going to learn as much as if you tried it yourself.

Are you sure? Because what you said certainly came across that way. A number of posters understood your OP as a request for advice, to get better at Civ so that you could beat Emperor, but now it seems that you just wanted to cry foul and have everyone agree with you that it's impossible. Sorry to say, but it's going to be hard to convince players who can consistently beat Deity (not me, I have beaten Deity but far from consistently) to agree that Emperor is impossible.

I understand that some of the respondents were a bit snooty (looking at the poster who rather unhelpfully replied that "If you aren't miles ahead in tech in Emperor, you already did something wrong"). But if your goal is to get better at Civ, then you'd be much better served by trying again with an open mind, and using some of the advice that was offered. If someone replies, "I declared war on Alex and captured Athens within 50 turns" you're not really going to learn as much as if you tried it yourself.

It's not emperor that's impossible, I played a game after with the Mayans where Casimir got WAY out of control and I think I can still win, I'm playing with Siam and this game was a breeze, but that specific game was not possible to win because how Alex had every single cs and was able to diplo win as soon as we entered the information era. Oh, he also had a crapton of turism, a massive army and like I said, was barely behind in tech.

And yes, I am sure, after 2 pages of discussion people still don't believe me that that game was not winnable. Maybe if you go into the save I uploaded 'Okay, there's gonna be a problematic diplo civ' it's a different story, but I had no idea what was coming until well into the modern era.

And yes, I am sure, after 2 pages of discussion people still don't believe me that that game was not winnable. Maybe if you go into the save I uploaded 'Okay, there's gonna be a problematic diplo civ' it's a different story, but I had no idea what was coming until well into the modern era.

I'm sorry but I find this very hard to believe. I am certain that at some point the game became unwinnable, but I think that turn was very close to the world leader vote that lead to the defeat. I am also very certain that there were signs that this was happening and that preparation was possible without deviating from the victory path.
Even if you get caught off guard with the WL vote you still have 10 turns to prepare and try to steal enough city states from Alexander in order to delay his victory for the next vote, and by then win the game.

Posting a T164 save will not prove anything as I'm pretty sure a lot of things are possible from that point, and the game might not unfold like yours at all. Unless you have a more recent save the discussion in pure theoretical.

Top Bottom