Looking for AoE compatable modules

Welp, since the Maogata module seems to be doing fine for the moment, I'll take a moment to glance into it.
Since I plan to put Maogata and Myu in their own thread (and probably use it for other people's modules I'm updating) for now you can have it here.

I've given this Maogata module some testing, and so far everything appears to be just fine. The units, while they borrow Lizard art, all work as intended, the Worldspell works and does indeed periodically become available again. The other city-spell that reminds you where the prey is also works and can be cast once per turn, as long as the worldspell has been cast (or is not available to cast within a city).
I've not experienced any issues as yet, but proper playtesting should handle that. I know Shoggi said there were plans for it, certainly the Maogata thread suggested so, but for now this is a straight-up port from RiFE 1.3 to Ashes of Erebus.
Enjoy.

Attachments

• maogata-0.4.zip
    760.8 KB · Views: 90
I downloaded these from another thread on the site last week.
If noone else updates Keepers for RifE 1.4 and AoE, I'll probably do it when I'm finished tinkering with the JotnarL. I had suggested to jonnnes how he could make it so the keepers would always target each other in combat and if I get around to making the module compatible with RifE 1.4/AoE, I'd probably incorporate that change.

Attachments

• KeepersOfNoggormotha114.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 44
  • EverchangingBasic.rar
    537.6 KB · Views: 76
Shoggi, do I (we?) have your permission also for Salia the Everchanging? The info on it says it's another one of yours.
(And was actually remarkably simple to update at that, though I haven't tested it in-game yet).

In other news: I'm revamping my Ashes Modules thread to allow me to collect everything in one place instead of spreading out and being untidy. Maogata, Myu and Salia have all been updated to work with Ashes, though you can't have the latter two until I update said post *and* I receive permissions for them.
I've PM'd the creator of the Myu module, but since the forums report (s)he hasn't been active for about two years now I'm not holding out much hope for a response. However, I'm going to wait a time before I put the module up in case I do hear back.

Haven't looked at Keepers of Noggormotha yet though, and since it's kinda late for me right now and I've been doing this all day (doesn't time fly when you're engrossed in something?) I'm going to finish up with my module thread, then go to bed.

To be honest i had completely forgotten about her. It's been a while. :D
I am pretty sure she was up to date with the latest RifE version, so if nothing major changed in Ashes, yeah, she probably will work without any big changes. She was simple enough, really.
But, yeah, go ahead. If she needs fixing (error, balancing or otherwise) you're good to go.
Don't think i did any other modules though. Well there was the Dural redesign but i don't think there is even a basic version of that on the web and i lost most, if not all documentation about it when the rife forum went down.

Might look if i can find some stuff though, if you are interested in following some of the plans we had before we lost interest.

Was a bit larger scale though.

The way I'm going, I might end up taking on way more than I first thought - it was originally just going to be my own modules, then take a look at some of the others that needed work... and then I guess I sorta got carried away.
There weren't too many changes Salia needed really, and what surprises me - about Maogata and Myu more than Salia - is that the changes don't seem to have affected the modular python loading, or the python code in-game, in the slightest. Not a single issue yet, not a single change I've needed to make - I thought after looking into the JotnarL thread there might be something, but nope, not one.

Since I'm running around updating practically everyone's modules now, what do people think about providing fixes/updates for the original Jotnar module, the Frozen, and if it needs it the Hamstalfar?
I know not everyone liked the Frozen and Jotnar was regarded as needing a rebalance - not to step on the toes of LPlate's JotnarL module of course, but maybe some people will prefer the old one. Lines will have to be added that (should) make people aware you can't have both, or one will clobber the other.

@Derf, I think you're doing a great job updating all the modules. I suspected that the python parts of the modules would not have been significantly effected by the updates to the main mod (publicly admitting that probably cheapens the offer I made above but there was the chance I was wrong;)).
I'd like to try the RifE version of Jotnar, so don't worry about my toes (as it happens I've work boots on at the moment). JotnarL and Jotnar will be incompatible modules but it's easy to add in some warning text in the module blurb. It'll also make it easier to see if there are more aspects and ideas I want to plagiarise from the RifE team's interpretation.
I wouldn't be too pushed about the Frozen or Hamstalfar but that's the great thing about the modular format - people can add in the bits that they want. The modular aspect was what originally attracted me to work with RifE as the core mod I use.

I know - it's one of the great little things that keeps me coming back, and makes module work far easier :D
I think, since the RiFE team probably updated it along with the move to 1.4, Hamstalfar shouldn't have any issues. Ashes might have a few, it might not. I know Frozen isn't everyone's cup of tea, even I personally don't really like them, but I figure there may be someone who wants to play with them. It certainly makes games interesting though, unless I've missed anyone you can end up with at least five additional leaders popping up in a game. The Frozen with Taranis, Basium and Hyborem of course, Minister Coun from random events and the Amurites have the Kahd event.

Which reminds me. Does anyone happen to know what was supposed to happen with Kahd and the Kahdi? I gather they used to be a civ of their own, but now they're just Amurites with a different leader.

Just to get you some original team insight:

We had a long discussion about Jotnar and we were for completely redesigning them too.
We just weren't sure about the exact direction. i remember a couple of different approaches to them.

I also remember doing a couple of Jotnar games for the sole purpose of figuring out how they tick, compare them to the flavor in how they are supposed to be and what mechanics work and don't work. There is probably a big writeup still on the team forum here about that. Don't know if you are Lplate would be interested in this. I don't think the other old team members would mind much if i posted that here.

Also, i don't know if Hamstalfar was updated to 1.4 really. Mind, it could still work, even if not up to date.

Also, about the Khadi, they were too similar to the Amurites in flavor and execution, since they were pretty much a splinter group of them anyway, lorewise.
So we merged them. Khadi still has most of the unique stuff with the monuments though, if i remember right.

I also remember doing a couple of Jotnar games for the sole purpose of figuring out how they tick, compare them to the flavor in how they are supposed to be and what mechanics work and don't work. There is probably a big writeup still on the team forum here about that. Don't know if you are Lplate would be interested in this. I don't think the other old team members would mind much if i posted that here.
I'd certainly be interested.

As would I. Like the other civ modules I've updated, I'll make it a straight port first, then worry about tweaking, rebalancing, etc.

Speaking of which, anyone else who has views to pitch in on balance for the available modules, please do so. I want to get Jotnar and Frozen handled first, but it'll be nice to have plans for afterwards. More Arcane in particular, since I kinda need feedback on that before I can tear the WIP tag off it.

Hamstalfar didn't need any changes at all incidentally, it was already 1.4 compatible and nothing needed changing for AoE. The Frozen are going to be a PITA, however. The module appears to have been written before some of the winter rituals were moved to White Hand, as opposed to Illian only, and the Auric Ascended unit also seems to have changed since then - and that's just doing an at-a-glance run through. I'm fully expecting more issues to come from them than anyone else.

Would the Kahd-specific stuff still trigger if one were to make Kahd an available leader from the start and use him? I'm not a fan of changing civs mid-game, and generally tweak Basium and Hyborem so I can get around it. They have issues in that their Heroes don't get spawned, and there's the potential for them to be spawned again (Unless precautions are taken). Gotta look into how Auric is handled to see if I can remedy the former with that, and maybe apply it to Kahd too.

The main reason I don't like changing civs is because I'm greedy and like to keep what I already have, so the Kahd event usually ends up with the option that establishes Kahd's Project in the city.

Edit: Okay, it's taken me much of the day to fight with the Jotnar module and get it working, but it is finally updated and working for Ashes. Good gods does that thing need an overhaul! Having seen the post Shoggi made over in the JotnarL thread, I can't help but agree with many of the points he and Opera made.

However, having read that and also LPlate's vision for them, I'm going to say this: There are aspects of JotnarL I don't agree with, whether as a fix for the issues with them or new mechanics. But of course, this is the beauty of modules - I can go ahead and develop my own vision too. I don't have any idea what this vision is yet, but I'm working on it.

Also I discovered a little curiosity. Without the Jotnar module loaded, going into the Civilopedia and going to the Spells and Abilities page caused it to be a bit bugged - it would load some of the spells, and then it just loaded empty entries. The filtering controls also vanished. Going to another section and back made them return, set to 'Water Spellsphere' and 'XML Order', and through that I determined that as long as you only look at the elemental spellspheres and World Spells you don't hit the same issue.
However, with the Jotnar module loaded as it stands right now, this doesn't happen. The unfiltered Spells and Abilities loads all entries perfectly and displays the filter controls without issue. I haven't yet figured out what the cause is, but it's late (again) and I don't particularly feel like going into another battle with the Jotnar module to find out why.

Top Bottom