Ashes of Erebus 'Pedia Entries

Ronkhar

The code tests every player with isEverAlive() and returns the number of the first one it finds that passes the test

If no players pass the test it returns -1, causing the event not to trigger

There's no way to know for sure what isEverAlive does without seeing the code for it, but if I had to make an educated guess it likely has something to do with the undead factions (not being alive) or it may be looking for open slots

Yeah, that's exactly my goal :D

Just look at the google doc, and the sheet "To-Do". Either pick something there (lots of empty leader entries!), or find something missing in the pedia and not in the proposed changes, and type away :)

I currently have it set to comment-only unless it's shared, so if you're interested PM me your email and I'll add you to the editors.

Thank you. I've messaged you my email and I will start adding drafts soon - please let me know exactly which column on the google docs you wish me to do this, ta.

Thank you. I've messaged you my email and I will start adding drafts soon - please let me know exactly which column on the google docs you wish me to do this, ta.

So, look at the "To-do" sheet, find something you find interesting, and change it's status to "In Progress". When you feel like you have something, put it in the "Proposed Changes" sheet. Anybody can look at the proposed changes, and put comments, whatever. Once it's more or less finalized, I'll do a final check and flag it for inclusion by Ronkhar.

[Edit: Nice meeting you Dunpeal! You mentioned some old work you'd done; if you still have anything that's not included, feel free to post that in as well, I forgot to mention while we were talking earlier.]

So, look at the "To-do" sheet, find something you find interesting, and change it's status to "In Progress". When you feel like you have something, put it in the "Proposed Changes" sheet. Anybody can look at the proposed changes, and put comments, whatever. Once it's more or less finalized, I'll do a final check and flag it for inclusion by Ronkhar.

[Edit: Nice meeting you Dunpeal! You mentioned some old work you'd done; if you still have anything that's not included, feel free to post that in as well, I forgot to mention while we were talking earlier.]

Thanks and will do. Hope more volunteer :p

I'm down.... I've never edited or added to the pedia before, but I love this mod and the lore that comes with it.. lol I've spent hours reading almost everything on it and wishing there was more. I'd love to help if can. I don't want to see this awesome mod fall back into the shadows.

Alright, I am now officially back home for winter break, and have lots of time on my hands.... if the steam sales going on right now don't distract me too much :mischief:

I'm down.... I've never edited or added to the pedia before, but I love this mod and the lore that comes with it.. lol I've spent hours reading almost everything on it and wishing there was more. I'd love to help if can. I don't want to see this awesome mod fall back into the shadows.

I sent you a PM, but if you're interested, just PM me your email and you can put up entries to the google doc.

For some entries though, just interested writers might not be enough. I've played FFH/RifE/Ashes for a while and I'm pretty well versed, but I have not played games with every civ, and those that I have I don't necessarily know exactly how to use them best. Several civs are missing a strategy section, and I don't know enough about them to play them well. I.E., Chislev, Cualli, Mekera Order, etc. If people have good tips for how to use them and others that are missing strategy, fire away; we can use this to put into a strategy section for them

Sounds good to me, I work a lot, but when I'm home this game is the only one I own at the moment. I've been working on at least finishing one game with every civ, since they all feel so different it keeps the game fresh... so I might be able to help with some strategy as well. I've been lurking on the boards here since the first team was getting excited about hell terrain... lol so a lot of what I think I know has changed... A LOT. I love what's been done to it though... so much more epic than it used to be.

I *think* I'm almost done with the Elohim, should be just a few more days, case in point a hand with all the strategy would be much appreciated because I'm far too slow on my own

I'm going to revisit the Grigori entry and update a few things also, I can't believe I forgot to put a note on their world spell in

I'm making some progress, but I was wondering if is there a way to quickly search for tags through all of the /XML/Text files? I have Notepad++, but if I need to find the link for something like an item or something, I don't know which text file it'll be in.

Right now, I'm just guessing which it'll be in and using ctrl-f for keywords, but it's slow and time consuming to find a single link. Is there a better way to do this? And also, a point of curiosity I guess, why aren't all the files merged into one large text file? I mean, there's files like CIV4GameText_buildings, but all it includes is Chained Water/Fire/Ice/Earth/Storm drakes and a hog pen fer crying out loud. Is there a better way to search/organize?

Again, I never did more programming than a text game, and stuff like that....

I'm making some progress, but I was wondering if is there a way to quickly search for tags through all of the /XML/Text files? I have Notepad++, but if I need to find the link for something like an item or something, I don't know which text file it'll be in.

For this kind of searches I use grepwin. It allows you to search for a specific string in a whole folder (along with all of its subfolders).

Right now, I'm just guessing which it'll be in and using ctrl-f for keywords, but it's slow and time consuming to find a single link. Is there a better way to do this?

Here is how I use the search
Notepad++ : ctrl+shift+f (aka find in files)
Filters : *.xml; *.py;*.h; *.cpp
Folder : ...\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Ashes of Erebus\
Search mode: extended or regexp depending on the need

If you want text xml files only, you can reduce to
Filters : *.xml
Folder : ...\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Ashes of Erebus\Assets\XML\Text

And also, a point of curiosity I guess, why aren't all the files merged into one large text file? I mean, there's files like CIV4GameText_buildings, but all it includes is Chained Water/Fire/Ice/Earth/Storm drakes and a hog pen fer crying out loud. Is there a better way to search/organize?
Actually, I'm doing it the other way: separating tags into meaningful files.
I added missing ones, I removed duplicates, we moved several others. If you compare RifE 1.41 text files and current ones, you'll see what I mean. But that will be long of course: 11700 tags total.

Example: Tag TXT_KEY_BUILDING_XXX has ~700 hits in ~30 files
What I want is all UB (Unique Buildings) in their respective CIV4GameText_Civ_XXX.xml and all generic buildings in CIV4GameText_Buildings.xml

Here is how I use the search
Notepad++ : ctrl+shift+f (aka find in files)
Filters : *.xml; *.py;*.h; *.cpp

Thanks a ton for a detailed description, this is very helpful :)

I've been playing a lot of Ashes with a friend of mine the last couple days, and I realized that small typos or errors are pretty common. However, I'd see one, and then forget about it in a couple minutes (distracted by the game, of course). If people are playing a game, and see some small text error or something, it'd be pretty cool if you could alt tab for a sec and post what you see here; maybe that way by the next release, it'll be fixed. There's just something about a bad sentence or typo or even misplaced word that can distract you from an awesome game, in my opinion at least cranberry.

Sorry for the delay, "Risk of Rain" happened

I'll be finishing off the Elohim entry when RoR addiction allows

Whenever you're ready Mordax :lol:

I was distracted at the start of my break, but I've been writing more recently. Only so many games you can play before you start wanting to actually... do something, I find. or maybe that's just me. Not sure.

In any case, one thing that might be useful to writers is source material to draw from. I'm talking about stories like Stumpy the Dented, from Poduck Nowhere, something that can be modified or written about somewhere else. For instance, the empty Dwarven Slinger history might benefit from a story somehow revolving around Stumpy...

This is of course an example of a very well-written story already, but fun little tidbits or events people have had can be useful. Have other people had memorable events in FFH? A scout that defeated Margalard, or something perhaps?

Heya,

Back a few years ago I wrote entries for numerous resources which didn't have much content or flavour text (food and luxuries). I haven't been able to figure out how to look through the current Civilopedia content (I don't have a working copy of the game currently) so I don't know if (m)any were implemented, but I'm pretty sure I have most of the text stored if any of it is useful to you.

If someone else is happy to plug it in for me I can just shoot across a text file.

Top Bottom