The Deity Challenge Line-up - Game #11 - Morocco

I've got to get my victory times under 270, to be on the safe side, I think, which is a long way off. I appreciate all the input.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. But it doesn't always happen like that. Sometimes he has 100k in the bank and isn't doing anything with it :D

Hmm.. did you try asking him to give you gold or did you try to sell him any of your resources?

I tried this one four (yes, four times), with the idea that if I could win domination with this crappy civ, I could do it with any.

Spoiler :
The first time I went for the Moriarte's strategy, but my artilleries eventually hit a brick wall of the Shoshone and Alex.

The second time I went for Peddroelm's strategy, but was backstabbed by Denmark. I don't think I could have got through anyway.

The third time I just went full science to jet fighters and stealth bombers etc, but STILL couldn't plow through the Shoshone. (I probably could have done, but anyway).

The fourth time I gave up and went for the diplo victory.

Jesus, I suck at domination! Although I can't help thinking this wasn't the easiest map. I have learnt some things about domination and will practice more hopefully in the Zulu and Persia games. But if someone who's very good at Civ could LP this and show me how to do it, I would be most grateful.

Attachments

• morocco diplo 260.jpg
    morocco diplo 260.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 160
I hate Pocatello and quite like Alex. He and I are generally best buddies.

Well, isn't it lovely when good guy Pocatello eliminates Alex?

I almost always plot the downfall of Alex whenever I can. This time I was basically paying Shoshone, France and Assyria to DOW him at the same time. Surely a good investment when you consider the money you'd have to invest in those city states. Also worked in the Ethiopia DCL.

Alex and pocatello are both really strong, I'm sure either one finishing each other off would be fine with me. Well, maybe except pocatello because he has the ancestor bonus that allows him to defend himself easily.

I almost always plot the downfall of Alex whenever I can. This time I was basically paying Shoshone, France and Assyria to DOW him at the same time. Surely a good investment when you consider the money you'd have to invest in those city states. Also worked in the Ethiopia DCL.

Absolutely, I keep saying Nobunaga is a cool dude :lol:

Nobunaga isn't always that cool unless you're a good guy and prevent any diplomatic penalties.

I hate Oda more than anyone.

My top 5 hates (in order)

1. Oda (mindless thug)
2. Pocatello (king of lebensraum, so ill-programmed compared with reality)
3. Dido (obv)
4. Monty (obv)
5. Enrico (he is programmed to steal CS. nothing is worse than this. At least with Khan you can liberate them)

I love Pocatello. He is always so benevolent and hardly ever runs away despite frequently being the leader of the scoreboard. I think there has been only one time where Pocatello wanted to DoW me, and I think he was just bitter because he wasn't doing amazing that game.

After getting my butt kicked on #9 and #10, this one was more enjoyable. It was nice to play a civ I'd never played before, though looking back I didn't use their unique abilities all that much.

T276 Science Victory

Disclaimer. I've replayed and restarted every DCL; however, this was the first time I played a game all the way through and then replayed. My first victory was a 291 Science victory, but I felt I made several avoidable mistakes, some - but not all of which - I fixed the 2nd full time through.

Spoiler :

Early game, my goal became to build Hanging Gardens in the capital - after I noticed no one else opened Tradition, and I had met all but 1 civ - and Petra in my 2nd city. I saw that Assur was also building Petra and paid the Greeks to attack. This worked...too well, perhaps. The Celts also followed and together they wiped him out, with the Greeks taking the 2 Eastern cities and the Celts the capital. Fun fact: later in the game, the Greeks liberated Assur!

The celts founded a pantheon and religion absurdly early, so I didn't try for religion. I got a late pantheon and Desert Folklore was available, so I took that and instead of founding a religion I planted 2 great prophets. The Celts got Jesuit (I want to use this more in future games!) and I think I faith bought 5/5 universities, 1-2 schools and 1 research lab, as well as a great engineer and a great scientist.

T96 Poca entered Renaissance.

T105 I finished the Oracle. Having completed Tradition, I opened Commerce, as I wanted (and eventually got) both Big Ben and Mercantilism.

T112 Education

At T119 my science per turn re-passed my turn number (128 science).

T127 all 5 cities with universities up and all 10 slots being used, partly thanks to 2 food caravans being sent to the newest, 4 pop city. Science at 161.

I hit Plastics at T200; think I used 2 mid-game GS bulbs, I each to get to Schools and Labs.

T211 I got Freedom Ideology passed. I proposed it when I was the only civ with an ideology, put a fair bit of money in to diplomacy to help get it through, and then at the vote I was still the only one with an ideology and no one voted otherwise; might have wasted a lot of money here, delaying getting all 5 Research Labs up.

My late game was pretty good, for me at least. In my previous attempt, I finished with a extra free tech and extra GS. This time around, I timed things much better.

I think this could still go a fair bit faster: I didn't build any cities by mountains, didn't sign a single RA (I did get Porcelain Tower), and I feel my build order can still improve quite a bit. For the RAs, I feel I didn't have extra money for much of the game, though I had lots late game as things finished very nicely.

Turn 262 SV

Spoiler :
This one is quite hard. Extremely difficult to manage happiness even from the beginning, didn't have enough luxury resource I suppose. I had to allied a mercantile city state for the whole duration of the game. Mid game Denmark keep trying to attack me, had to bribe him away to attack someone else three times. On top of that, Alex started stealing my one and only allied city state, I have to keep a spy there to coup whenever he tries to steal my city state. Alex also had insane amount of culture, 64,000 culture endgame ....

Spoiler :
No religion, celts next to me has very strong religion.
Did not concentrate on religion, only have enough faith to buy one GS endgame.
Tradition, one point in commerce and one point in patronage before I hit rationalism - too much culture in the beginning and not enough science. :mad:
Freedom ideology

Spoiler :
4 cities (53)
NC (81)
Oracle (93)
Education (104)
Did not attempt Pisa, I knew I was very late to printing press
Scientific Theory (157)
World Fair 2nd place (166) - of course I can't beat Alex
Porcelain Tower (170)
Big Ben (195)
Plastics (199)
Liberty (231)
Hubble (253)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 124
  • UntitledA.jpg
    UntitledA.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 112
  • UntitledB.jpg
    UntitledB.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 105
  • UntitledC.jpg
    UntitledC.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 116
T210

(I thought this was the Immortal Challenge set, never attempted deity before)

Spoiler :
I was testing a Liberty/Honor hybrid strategy and realized that it was deity at around T120, so I buckled down and rushed military techs and captured The Celts's cap at around T170.Going to try and beat out Greece DV and Shoshone SV with a SV of my own

Attachments

• 2015-05-19_00001.jpg
    2015-05-19_00001.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 132
Hi Wizard452, welcome to the DCL. I wish you good luck in finishing the game, but I fear that poor scouting could be your undoing. You have pretty much the whole Eastern half of the map unrevealed. It's a really good idea to have cleared all that by T100 at the latest. If you lose this game, I recommend you go back and this time concentrate on scoping the land as much as possible for your domination sweep. Also, this is NOT an easy map for Domination, so credit to you for trying. Good luck again :)

I said that because I have never beaten Immortal LEGIT either. Only beat once as Alex on Arch so Ai's would not be able to take me on or CSs either

T279

Spoiler :
Defeated Celts, grabbed city for coal and sellable dyes (copper was banned in world congress needed SOMETHING to trade) Tied with Shoshone and Denmark in techs. This is so close!!

Attachments

• 2015-05-20_00002.jpg
    2015-05-20_00002.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 175
I hate to tell you this but it doesn't look close to me. Pocatello will have around 3x your science. Not sure what VC you are going for, but you better try to wrap it up soon. I smell a Shoshone launch in around 30-40 turns.

Top Bottom