The Steam Achievement Story series - #1 - Songhai, Cruel World

consentient

Domination!
Welcome to the Steam Achievement Story (SAS) series. This is an opportunity to play along with others, collect Steam Achievements, and have more fun with your games.

- The series will be irregular, not scheduled, but at least one new map will be posted per month. Sometimes two, if there is enough interest.

- Maps will be mainly Immortal, with some Deity and some Emperor. Probably from every 5 maps there will be 3 Immortal, 1 Deity and 1 Emperor.

- Each map will have between 3 and 6 Steam Achievement targets. You can try for as many as you wish. If you already have the achievement, you are of course welcome to play along anyway.

- This series is strictly for fun, no record will be kept, and it's mainly here for people that want to play communal games in addition to the other excellent series (the DCL & ICL).

Game #1 - Songhai, Cruel World

Basics:

Map type: Continents
Map size: Huge
Difficulty: Emperor
Game Speed: Epic

Steam Achievements:

The African King - Win as Askia
The Golden Path - Win on Emperor
Ruler of the Twelve Colonies - Win on a Huge Map
Diplomacy by Other Means - Complete Autocracy
War Canoe Attack - Conquer a city on another continent
Pillage, Then Burn - Pillage 9 improvements farms in 1 turn

Starting Location and Save File

Yes BlackWizard. If you want to get that one, you'll have to delay victory, though that shouldn't be impossible if you've dominated before then. You have Huge Map, which makes it harder, but Epic speed, which makes it a little easier again, hopefully balancing it.

I've never played a full game on a Huge map so this will be a first for me. Ditto for Epic speed.

Wow epic speed and huge map probably means a very long game. How big is huge compared to normal? How many civs are there? Not sure i could play this in addition to the april fools DCL (i expect this one will be fun) and the GOTM (i wouldn't be surprised if they put a few surprises there too) but the idea is interesting.

However i don't think i got any steam achievement in a looong time. How do i see what i have anyway? (big steam fanboy here :lol:)

Standard Map - 80x52 (4160 Hexes), 8 Players, 16 City-States, 5 Religions, 4 Natural Wonders
Large Map - 104x64 (6656 Hexes), 10 Players, 20 City-States, 6 Religions, 6 Natural Wonders
Huge Map - 128x80 (10240 Hexes), 12 Players, 24 City-States, 7 Religions, 7 Natural Wonders

So Huge is more than 2x the size of Standard. This will be a long game, yes. Those looking for SVs in a few hours clicking 'Next turn' will not get down with this map - which is not to say that the next game in the series won't be Korea, Quick, Small, though. ;)

Also, to see your Steam achievements, go to the page in Steam for your game and scroll down the little display until you see 'Show All Achievements'.

Complete autocracy. Do you need every single autocracy ideological tenet for this?

If anybody wants to get this achievement (or Freedom or Order) more quickly, you can just disable BNW and start a Gods and Kings game. The ideologies are like social policies in G&K; you will only need one opener plus 5 policies to complete the tree.

If you really want to cheese it, start in the information era and get 5 (I think) free policies. Then you only have to play a few turns for policy #6 before getting the achievement. Or, just play as Poland and complete the tree instantly (you get all the bonus SPs immediately)

I have gotten 12 ideological tenets in BNW before, but you need 14 to complete an ideology.

So Huge is more than 2x the size of Standard. This will be a long game, yes. Those looking for SVs in a few hours clicking 'Next turn' will not get down with this map
But conquest would be even longer. Well, maybe it's possible to win in in medieval with Mankedalus. Epic speed would probably help get more of UUs. Will see how fast i can finish GotM and next DCL
Also, to see your Steam achievements, go to the page in Steam for your game and scroll down the little display until you see 'Show All Achievements'.
Found them thanks, nothing since 2013 :crazyeye:

But conquest would be even longer. Well, maybe it's possible to win in in medieval with Mankedalus. Epic speed would probably help get more of UUs. Will see how fast i can finish GotM and next DCL

Found them thanks, nothing since 2013 :crazyeye:

If you use mods you want get any achievements expect those 2 mod related. Also if you play offline mod you want get anything :)

If anybody wants to get this achievement (or Freedom or Order) more quickly, you can just disable BNW and start a Gods and Kings game. The ideologies are like social policies in G&K; you will only need one opener plus 5 policies to complete the tree.

If you really want to cheese it, start in the information era and get 5 (I think) free policies. Then you only have to play a few turns for policy #6 before getting the achievement. Or, just play as Poland and complete the tree instantly (you get all the bonus SPs immediately)

I have gotten 12 ideological tenets in BNW before, but you need 14 to complete an ideology.

Can you play Poland when BNW is disabled?

I played this game up to turn 94 (I've replayed it a few times). I usually take too long when I try to take the AI early, so in this game, I have tried to take down the first AI as early as possible. I don't have time to know the result of my last attempt, because my army just started marching.... And I had to finish my game session.

Spoiler :

I have chosen Honor as policy track.

Research: pottery, calendar, mining, bronze working, archery, iron working

Build order on the capital:
scout, monument, granary, worker, settler, warrior, warrior

Build order on Toumbuctu
warrior, warrior

I built more two warriors and two archers in the capital whilst I was researching Iron Working.

This is on the turn I finished Iron Working. I took all my gold and upgraded all my warriors. I hope my army will be enough: 6 swordmen and 2 archers. I got the gold mainly from the barbarian camps.

This is on the next turn.

Now, I am building another archer on the capital and started researching Writing.

What are the gpt for luxuries in Epic? Does anyone know? For example, Standard is 7 gpt for Lux or 240 flat

Can you play Poland when BNW is disabled?

No idea. I got the ideology achievements back before I had BNW. But I think the civs might be independent of the expansion mechanics. You would have to actually try it out to see.

If not, just wait a few turns, or play a real Gods and Kings game.

No idea. I got the ideology achievements back before I had BNW. But I think the civs might be independent of the expansion mechanics. You would have to actually try it out to see.

If not, just wait a few turns, or play a real Gods and Kings game.

Well I'm not sure about that.. Venice,Marocco,portugal etc have trade route based UA. There wasnt any troutes in GK. But I checked my steam satus and I already have that full autocracy achievement

Consestient one of those you achievements listed has wrong description:
Pillage, Then Burn
Pillage 9 Farms on the same turn

Consestient one of those you achievements listed has wrong description:
Pillage, Then Burn
Pillage 9 Farms on the same turn

Thanks for pointing it out. I had C&P-ed from another site. I should have known better! :D

What are the gpt for luxuries in Epic? Does anyone know? For example, Standard is 7 gpt for Lux or 240 flat

7 gpt (45 turns instead of 30)
360 flat gold
15 gpt for two (45 turns instead of 30 again)

Spoiler :
Did you choose egypt as opponent intentionally? Songhai 3*gold when pillaging cities and egypt burial tomb 2*gold when city with burial tomb is captured. So it should give 6*gold,right? Maybe I wait till egypt gets burial tombs :lol:

Top Bottom