Art and Lore

Valkrionn

The Hamster King
Going to be using this thread to fill out the lore on any features we add... Feel free to post your own work, it will most likely be used. :goodjob: I'll also be forced to pickup Blender soon, so I'll post any units/buildings/whatever I make here as well.

Needed Text

1. Civpedia
    1. Resources
      1. Ale - History - Bad tag
      2. Cotton - History - Bad TXT_KEY...
      3. Obsidian- History - Bad TXT_KEY...
    2. Units - History - Bad TXT_KEY...
      1. Captain
      2. Grenadier
      3. IronClad
      4. Jotnar Settler
      5. Lord D'Tesh
      6. Minotaur
      7. Mobile Fortress
      8. MusketMan
      9. Sabertooth
      10. Tactician
      11. Trackless
      12. Warchief
      13. Zarraz the Longsighted
    3. Unit - History - Empty Description
      1. Auric Ascended
      2. Boris
      3. Camel Archer
      4. Centaur Archer
      5. Centaur Guard
      6. Centaur Lancer
      7. Captain
      8. Dragon Tortoise
      9. Gaelon
      10. Gibbon Goetia
      11. Gorilla
      12. Griffin
      13. Gurid
      14. Herald
      15. High Priest of Winter
      16. Hippogriff
      17. Ice Elemental
      18. Ira
      19. Jotun
      20. Lightning Elemental
      21. Margalard
      22. Mistform
      23. Mortar
      24. Mud Golem
      25. Privateer
      26. Sea Serpent
      27. Sect of Flies
      28. Spellsword
      29. Supplies
      30. Teutorix
      31. Tower Mage
      32. Valkyrie
      33. Wyrm
    4. Building - History - Bad TXT_KEY
      1. Great Hall
      2. Monument to Tyranny
      3. Sacrificial Alter
      4. School of Govannon
    5. Building - History - Empty Description
      1. Apothecary
      2. Arena
      3. Barracks
      4. Basilica
      5. Bear Den
      6. Bear Totem
      7. Bowyer
      8. Caminas Aureus
      9. Catacomb Libralus
      10. Cathedral of Tali
      11. Celestial compass
      12. city of 1000 slums
      13. crown of akharien
      14. Desert shrine
      15. Dies Diei
      16. Dwarfen smithy
      17. Farmers market
      18. Form of the titan
      19. Frozen Souls
      20. Governors Manor
      21. Griffin Weyr
      22. Grove
      23. Guild of the Nine
      24. Hall of Autumn
      25. Hall of Mirrors
      26. Hall of Spring
      27. Hall of Summer
      28. Hall of Tomes
      29. Hall of Winter
      30. Hall of Years
      31. Halls of d'tesh
      32. herbalist
      33. Heron throne
      34. hippodrome
      35. jeweler
      36. jousting tilt
      37. library
      38. lion den
      39. machinists shop
      40. mammoth den
      41. meditation hall
      42. mines of gal-dur
      43. money changer
      44. museum
      45. nox noctis
      46. order of the wyvern
      47. pagan temple
      48. palisade
      49. pillars of creation
      50. repository
      51. resplendent minaret
      52. Ride of the nine kings
      53. sculptors studio
      54. siegeworkshop
      55. smugglers port
      56. song of autumn
      57. stable
      58. stag copse
      59. steamworks
      60. summer palace
      61. tablet of bambur
      62. Tailor
      63. Tax Office
      64. Temple of Kilmorph
      65. Temple of Empyrean
      66. Temple of Hand
      67. Temple of Order
      68. Temple of Veil
      69. Temple of D'tesh
      70. The Necronomicon
      71. The Nexus
      72. Theater of Dreams
      73. Tower of Divination
      74. Warrens
      75. Winter Palace
      76. Wyvern Monastery
    6. Terrain Improvements - Bad TXT_KEY...
      1. Bair of Lacuna
      2. Foxford
      3. portal
      4. Rinwell isle
      5. Tower of Eyes

Attachments

• Fonts.rar
    338.1 KB · Views: 291
Bezeri
(Will be massively expanded on.)

Basic Info:
A Mazatl splinter-group, from just before the Age of Ice, who live in coastal territory and make use of nature and body magic. Once the Ice Age began, they saw no option but to rapidly change themselves in order to survive... Becoming more like the fish they relied on for food. They were eased into this new life by the Tsaayiq'an, a pre-existing aquatic race of toads the lizards came in contact with. Over the centuries since, the two cultures have merged, utilizing the best of both... The agility, adaptability, and numbers of the Lizards, and the tremendous arcane aptitude of the relatively rare Toad.

They are opposed to both the White Hand, representing the death of their lands and many of their people, lost to the ice, and the Overlords, which they view as a spreading corruption in the Oceans. All other religions are open to them, barring the Ordo Machinarum... Rather than fire and steam, they use biological systems.

They are good, but also arrogant, viewing the 'lesser' races with disdain. They have a slight predisposition towards slavery, if only because of their views. I could see them as Lawful Neutral, rather than Good, but we don't have that alignment. :lol:
Nomenclature:
Their language is at the same time fluid, and guttural. Many of the words and place names will flow easily off the tongue, whereas the names of individuals, units, and magics will be more guttural. This is an artifact from when the two cultures were separate.... The Tsaayiq'an had a highly guttural language.
Bez -> Sea, Ocean, so on. There's only one real ocean, as the 'oceans' are all connected, so the Bezeri do not differentiate between bodies of water... Currents and reefs are more important boundaries.
Bezer -> Singular form of Bezeri, applies to the individual rather than the society. Rarely used, as they tend to identify themselves by caste rather than nationality.
Bezeri -> People of the Sea
Bezer'ej -> City of the People of the Sea

Castes- Traditionally, the 'toads' have belonged to the higher castes, beginning with T or Q, while the lizards make up the labor and military castes, beginning with a V. (Beginning letter is not coincidental, but an artifact from before the merge of the languages.) Over time, the priestly and bureucratic castes have become open to both races.

Taidar'een -> Noble
Leaders. This caste will only be used in Pedia entries, particularly in that of Targassat.​
Quolng'een -> Priest
This one will also likely be pedia only, doubt I'll make religious UU's.​
Tiec'een -> Caster
Arcane line. Will be used in game.​
Tyolok'een -> Bureocrat
Will be represented by courthouse/maintenance-reducing UB's.​
Varyr'een -> Warrior(Ranged)
This one should be the most numerous caste in game. Even more structured than other castes, Cimesiat is the highest ranked.​
Vivl'een -> Warrior(Mounted)
Although less respected than the Varyr'een, this caste is arguably more important. Responsible for the defense of Bezeri people. The highest ranking members are granted membership in the Varyr'een caste, and are responsible for guarding the Nobles, Priests, and Casters. (Represented in game by the guardsman promotion granted to the Horse Archer analog, which is the fourth tier mounted unit for the civ.)​
Voanoq'een -> Warrior(Recon)
Least important of the warrior castes, used to scout enemy lands and tame animals, particularly the Serpents used by the Vivl'een caste.​
Vir'een -> Worker
Lowest, most numerous caste. Well respected, although thought of as rather dim by the higher castes.​
Dyunil'een -> Non-Bezeri
Extreme insult when applied to a Bezeri.​

Cimesiat -> Leader
Targassat -> Leader

Uninspiring, but it works and has been done by so many civilizations in the past that it's basically standard practice. :lol: Basically, the language will be highly suffixed, with the addition of even a single letter adding new meaning to the word. So either -i or -eri means People, -'ej means City, so on.​

You are taunting us about the Top SecretTM feature alot.....I wish FF had spies so I could steal it. :mischief:

Hmmmmmmmm.......... New stuff (how nice)

Since I don't know if this was noticed when I firt posted it: My story for Tyra Kyri's civopedia entry:

Spoiler :
Nish started as Lady Kyri burst into the room in her usual rage. He glanced at Maelys, another of Lady Kyri’s aids, then approached the Lady.
“Lady Kyri, I have good-”
“Who do they think they are!” she screamed, cutting him off. “They think this research facility is a waste of money! White Mesa is the Future! So what if some adepts are killed in the process, they are always more.”
Nish glanced at the other aid, terror in every eye he saw. It was times like this he wished he’d taken that internship at Flesh-Crafters. At least there they tried to keep things safe. A well, he was the head aid.
“Lady Kyri?”
“What!” she snapped.
“Is something wrong?” he asked, trying to control his voice.
“They think we are not accomplishing anything! They think we’re to expensive! HA! As if they knew what cost was!”
Yes, Nish thought, a few adepts die. The Councils problem is probably not how many adepts die, but how many go mad and need to be taken care of.
“I know cost, I know true power is expensive, but I still reach for!”
Yes, but that’s because you’ve been mad since your Trial of the Caves.
Nish opened his mouth to speak, but Lady Kyri cut him off. “I will be in my quarters. No one disturb me.”
She then turned and stormed into her rooms. Out of sight of the aids, she let the tears fall free, then reached over and picked up a small portrait she had. The portrait had been painted from an image she had had pulled from her mind my a mind mage, and was of a young boy, about 10. As she looked at the portrait, she let her memories of the child lost to the Trials fill her mind, the child she had miscarried due to the strain, yet that had guided her throught. As she thought, she felt her resolve strengthen. Those adepts might lose their minds, but their loss was nothing compared to hers. She knew it.

Also: Reorx Veinhunter
Spoiler :
The tunnel was long, narrow and in the middle of no-where. So, to Auditor Akrus, a waste of money.
Looking at it, Akrus couldn’t help but sight and shake his head. He turned and looked at his guide, a miner who was busy picking…things out of his beard. Suppressing a shudder of disgust (thank Kilmorph that city dwarves were cleaner), Akrus asked the miner (Thrumbl) were the Forman was.
“Oh, ri’t this way, Aud’tor, yur Honour.”
Sighing once more, Akrus followed Thrumbl down the tunnel, shaking his head quietly at the lack of work he saw. Finally, he and Thrumbl found them selves in a large room full of bustling work.
“Thar’s him, Farman Reorx Veinhunter.” Said Thrumbl when said when Akrus asked about the Forman.
Hmph, “Farman”? Veinhunter? Given what I’ve seen, he might as well be Reorx Moneywaster, thought Akrus as he strode towards a fairly tall dwarf.
“Mr. Reorx? I’m Auditor Akrus, it is…good to meet you.” He said with a nod.
“Greetings. Call me Reorx, Auditor. To what do I owe this honour?” The Forman said in clear, well pronounced Kaz’ak.
“No honour in this visit, I’m afraid. Lord Kandros if getting impatient with this dig. You had better of found something since your last report, or I will have to shut this dig down.”
Reorx smiled, and pointed to the long wall opposite the entry to the room. Akrus, frowning, walked over to the wall, and brushed away the dust. Instantly, his breath could in his throat.
“Forman Veinhunter”, he said in a small voice, is this what I think it is.”
“Yes, it is.”
“So this is why the tunnel was so long. But please tell me, how did you know this was here.”
“Kilmorph told me.” Roex said with a smile

And so, Auditor Akrus carried the news back to Kazak, and Reorx Veinhunter had rewards and titles heaped upon him. For he had found the largest know vein of Mithril in all of Erebus, and and he was known as the greatest prospector in Erebus.

I noticed a few minor spelling and grammar errors in one of the above stories. Then I noticed places where it could flow a little better.
Somehow, I found myself rewriting it entirely.

Spoiler :
Auditor Akrus paced steadily down the long, narrow tunnel. It's length seemed pointlessly excessive, and an apparent waste of funding.
Looking at it, Akrus couldn’t help but sigh and shake his head. He turned to glance at his guide, Thrumbl. A filthy miner who was busy picking…things out of his beard. Suppressing a shudder of disgust (thanking Kilmorph that city dwarves were cleaner), Akrus asked the miner where the Foreman was.

“Oh, ri’t this way, Aud’tor, yur Honour.” Thrumbl muttered in a careless dialect.

Sighing once more, Akrus followed Thrumbl down the tunnel, visibly dismayed at the lack of work he saw. Only the occasional labourer chatting, lazing around, gambling, and drinking. Nary a pick or worker in sight. After what seemed like an hour of marching, he and Thrumbl emerged from the tunnel into in a large, well lit cavern. It dawned on him where all the workers had been. On scaffolding all around the edge, they were hammering away at the rock walls.

“Thar’s him, Farman Reorx Veinhunter.” Exclaimed Thrumbl, pointing towards the back of the chamber.

"Hmph, 'Farman'? Veinhunter? Given what I’ve seen, he might as well be Reorx Moneywaster", thought Akrus as he strode towards a fairly tall dwarf.

“Mr. Veinhunter? I’m Auditor Akrus, it is…good to meet you.” He said in a dry voice, noticeably lacking sincerity.
“Greetings. Call me Reorx, Auditor. To what do I owe this honour?” The Foreman said in clear, well pronounced Kaz’ak.

“No honour in this visit, I’m afraid. Lord Kandros is getting impatient with this dig. You've tunneled miles into the earth, bypassing useful veins of copper I'm told, and for all the funding and men that have been allocated, you've produced nothing in the way of results. I've been ordered to shut down the excavation here, and issue the command to cease work.”

Reorx only smiled knowingly, raising his arm towards the scaffolding on his far left.

"Follow me, Auditor. I've somethin' to show ye that'll make Kandros change his tune right fast"
Akrus, frowning, following over to the wall, and climbing haphazardly up the sides of the scaffolding. Workers stepped aside to let them pass as Reorx led the auditor over to a part where the wall had been especially cut in.

"Demonstrate to the Auditor what we've got here, lads"

Two nearby workers lifted a large pick from the floor, and swung together at the rock wall in front of them. The pick penetrated only a few inches before stopping abruptly. When they wrenched it out again, the head was badly bent

The Auditor's breath caught in his throat as the workers pulled back the thin veneer of rock and dirt, revealing a glimmering silver mass behind, untouched by the impact of the pick.

“Foreman Veinhunter”, he said in a small voice, full of barely suppressed excitement." is this what I think it is.”
“Aye, indeed it is. Finest blessings of the goddess in this holy earth”
“So this is why the tunnel was so long. But please tell me, how did you know this was here.”
“Kilmorph told me.” Reorx said with a smile

And so, Auditor Akrus carried the news back to Kazak, riding a heavily laden cart full of evidence to show to his superiors. Reorx Veinhunter had rewards and titles heaped upon him in abundance, all the empire's available resources at his command, as an army of dwarven workers filled and expanded his new mine. For he had found the largest known vein of Mithril in all of Erebus, and secured the prosperity of Khazak for generations to come.

Hmm, yes, I was a bit quite with the righting (and, of course, I'm still praticing). I think you got my idea acrost better then my own rendition.:)

To make life Easier for Valk;): Lorelei Coral

Spoiler :

When an Amurite comes of age, they usually choose a sphere of magic that matches their intent. A battlemage, for instance, often chooses Fire magic, for it’s potential for destruction. However, for the inhabitants of the Iltanie Islands, water reigns supreme. These islanders fallow the path of the Hydromancer, with most aspiring to fallow in the foot steps of Lorelei Coral, the greatest Hydromancer of the age.

“The Elves have no navy to speak of, the problem is their Lanun mercenaries” said Admiral Akurl, addressing the war council. “If the Lanun vessel’s can be handled, the Elven ships will pose no threat to our Windriders.”
“What of the Jotnar fleet?” asked a general in the back of the room.
“To far away to be a threat” answered the admiral, shaking his head. “None of are mages are powerful enough to attack the ships directly, they have some Mechanos magic dampening device.”
“What if we attack the water?” asked a soft female voice form the crowd.
Akurl frowned, something about the voice unnerving him. “I see you logic, but none of out mages are powerful enough to do that.”
A slight young woman in a robe stepped out of the crowed. She smiled slightly. “Then I will destroy the fleet myself”
Akurl felt like laughing, but one look at the women caused him to change his mind. “Maybe you can”

Late during the night, a storm blew up out of nowhere. Rain sleeted down, waves tall as hills flipped ships, yet strangely, there was little wind, no lightning, and some of the few surviving Lanun clamed they could see the stars clearly. Soon after, Lorelei Coral was appointed to the council of Archmages at the personal recommendation of both Queen Valledia and Caswallen Dain.

The new race looks very interesting, though I'm very interested in any posts explaining what's special about their game mechanics (and how they tie into their lore).

Well Valkrionn, nice job on the new water based civ. Are you planning on putting a second one in for competition? I wish you the best of luck with the building of the Bezeri.

I know I'm looking forward to playing them.

Feeling creative, so I'm going to throw a few bones here.

Spoiler Witch Hunter :
I'm sorry, Princess Keelyn. But, you don't understand. I tried, honestly, I did. But, the Mechanos... you don't understand! No, no, please! Listen! Their agents... the Witch Hunters... wherever they go, a cloud follows... I reach out for magic, and I find... nothing... just cold... no, I tried that. It's not like ice, it's like steel, steel and steam and nothing... empty... please, forgive me, my lady! Forgive me! No, no, anything but... -Last words of Paulos the Blue

(I'll leave someone else to give a description of HOW a Witch Hunter actually operates; all the Mechanos units go quote-then-description, but descriptions are much harder.)

Spoiler Creation Mana :
Creation. To form something from the very ether itself is not an easy task, but it is beyond any doubt the greatest of any magical achievements. By channeling the power of Creation, and using it to power our own achievements, we defy the gods themselves, and prove what mortal minds are capable of. -Aerith, Grigori Archmage

Spoiler Ice Mana :
If you're stuck taking an Ice Magic class, bring a coat, no matter how hot it is outside. Make sure it has a really thick hood, so you can use it as a pillow. Oh, sure, every so often that doddering fool does something impressive, but for the most part, you get to hear an old windbag complain about how he'd trudge twenty miles, uphill both ways, just for a chance to polish Kylorin's boots. -Adept Morin

Spoiler Dimensional Mana :
For Oghma's sake, never fall asleep in Archmage Drahm's class. Ever. Under any circumstances. Sleep before class, collapse after class, but not during his class. You see, Drahm has an evil sense of humor. And he's a master of bending the fabric of reality itself. Last time I fell asleep in his class, I woke up, spent ten minutes wondering how I'd ended up in the girls' bathroom, and then several hours trying to explain myself when Tyr walked in. -Adept Morin

Spoiler Enchantment Mana :
I don't consider myself a mage. You see, mages are arrogant. Half of them are useless fools who turn good food into daydreams, and the other half would blow up a city just to see what patterns the debris would make. I am a craftsman, who just happens to use magic to make swords sharper, hammers strike more true, and armor withstand more abuse then steel alone can. -Flavius, Bannor enchanter

Top Bottom