Norton Antivirus and ccApp.exe

timtofly

One Day
I am wondering if any one who has "problems" also is runnning NAV? I googled it and it seems that it can be a resource hog and effect the graphics of games. Since I have not seen any mention about it here, I thought I would bring it up.

It was already installed when I bought the laptop 5 years ago. I did uninstall it and it "freed" up 19 Gigs of Hard Drive space. V worked just great on my below spec computer and it only crashed when I tried to load at turn 298. I played for like 8 hours straight on a huge continent on king with 4 AI and 24 CS's. I was getting "some" grey after turn 200, but was able to cycle through the city screens instantly and quickly. That had never happened before, even when working. So if anybody gets the screen "closing ccApp" when they shut down their computer, then they should uninstall NAV. Or at least have 19 gigs of available hard drive space to work with. If one is trying to operate with 3 Gbs of head room, that may be holding one back also.

Just get rid of anything Norton (and if you haven't change OS or reformatted in the last 5 years you'll want to do that too, gets rid of accumulated crap and speeds everything up) and use AVAST! or something.

An update. I am on turn 450 on a huge continent map with 3 AI on king level and there has been no freezing, nor has the game rebooted the computer via BSOD. Occasionally when bringing the laptop out of sleep mode, I get lag and a lot of grey tiles, but after a while they go away. Scrolling from city to city in city view does not lock the game up either. I was in a war with Catherine (Russia) from 1818 to about 1960. She then offered all her money 3500+ and nothing in return, for 10 turns of peace. She never attacked again. Since she left her lands neglected the whole war, her land is now "carpeted" with workers doing catch up. At the beginning of the war, she was 200+ points ahead of me. Now she is 100 points behind. She will probably sell them all to build her space ship. Unless I get Utopia built first.

I only got a Nelson Mandela, but I suppose that is better than giving up after getting hit by nuclear bombs constantly after the war started.

I am saying that my below specs laptop is still playing the game in a style ok for my taste and no more frustration of locking up my computer. It still took about 100 hours to play the game which is not too bad for me. Compared to II where you spend an hour per turn at the end, I was only spending about 5 minutes, but still feeling that my units were accomplishing what I needed them to. I was even able to trade for the needed "demanded" resources my cities asked for, which is a new concept from just sending out 50 "trade" units per turn I am used to in II.

It was my second king level win, so I am going on to the next level.

Top Bottom