"Random" AI civs don't really seem random

I am pretty sure some bug may be involed in some of similars experience.
I tried once to have warmonger game, so picked up Shaka, Songai, Huns, Mongol, etc - 10 civs.
Next game I left all AI slots 'random', but got again full set of the same warmongers. I decided restart, but that was the same again. Not "some of those AI", "every the same fckg warmonger AI". I don't think such coincidence may be related to "bad luck". I will try few times more, maybe I should make a video proof.

So if you have some civs more often than others, maybe it worth to play with settings. (BTW do in-game settings show whether civs were chosen or rolled by rnd?)

Edit: I have no mods except "Better UI"

Edit2: It looks that was my fault, no bug probably here. While I was sure that I set all to random - next game I see again those civs are listed in the civ list in game setup

I always get randomly different AI, through the expedient of choosing my 11 opponents every time.

Hang on, there's something amiss here isn't there......

I tried once to have warmonger game, so picked up Shaka, Songai, Huns, Mongol, etc - 10 civs. Next game I left all AI slots 'random', but got again full set of the same warmongers. I decided restart, but that was the same again. Not "some of those AI", "every the same fckg warmonger AI". I don't think such coincidence may be related to "bad luck".

Agreed, same 10 opponents in three trials does not seem compatible with RNG. The UI makes it pretty easy to think you have reset to random opponents, but then actually accidently reuse previous game setting. I have made a similar setup error least twice. It is quite annoying because, of course, you are well into the game by the time you discover the mistake.

So if you have some civs more often than others, maybe it worth to play with settings.

I always get randomly different AI, through the expedient of choosing my 11 opponents every time.

My first several many games used all random opponents. I didn't feel like I was getting enough variety. I have long since switched to hand picking opponents, and I have much more fun playing that way.

I am pretty sure some bug may be involed in some of similars experience.
I tried once to have warmonger game, so picked up Shaka, Songai, Huns, Mongol, etc - 10 civs.
Next game I left all AI slots 'random', but got again full set of the same warmongers. I decided restart, but that was the same again. Not "some of those AI", "every the same fckg warmonger AI". I don't think such coincidence may be related to "bad luck". I will try few times more, maybe I should make a video proof.

So if you have some civs more often than others, maybe it worth to play with settings. (BTW do in-game settings show whether civs were chosen or rolled by rnd?)

Edit: I have no mods except "Better UI"

I've found that if you manually hand-pick some opponents, Civ will keep a record of what you chose and keep using those settings until you manually reset them.

I once set up a game like you described -- a "warmongermania" game with every warmonger that I could fit in. Since I was running mods, I went through the Mods window and set up my game that way. Then, later, my brother decided to play a Civ game of his own. We share the same computer, but have seperate Steam accounts, so he logged into Steam and set up his game using the normal "Single Player" menu, leaving all the settings at random. After playing a while, he commented to me that he had a lot of warmongers in his game -- in fact, pretty much every warmonger. We later went back to the set up menu to see what the settings were, and found that despite switching to a different Steam account, Civ had retained a record of all of the civs I'd put into the system and used them as settings in my brother's random game.

Since then, I've always made a point to check the advanced set up screen to see if there's any civ selections left over from the last game.

I've found that if you manually hand-pick some opponents, Civ will keep a record of what you chose and keep using those settings until you manually reset them.

Well, while I was sure that I reset them, I can see them all in the list when creating new game. Probably my fault. But anyway - may be a hint for those who did the same mistake and may blame that random is not random

I cannot remember the sequence, but I made the same mistake (maybe twice) even though I had made conscious effort to reset them to random. There was something very peculiar and/or misleading regarding the on-screen prompts. I don't think it is a bug, just poor UI design.

Top Bottom