So how did you get into Civilization?

Amiga in 91, I guess. Just copied it along with a number of other games from some other guy with Amiga in the neighbourhood - as we all did with all Amiga games at that time.

My story is similar, except it was the Summer of '92. I was visiting my cousin in Boston and he had it on his computer and showed it to me. I went home and bought it immediately. I loved exploring and uncovering the world. I was such a noob that I refused to build any buildings in my 1 city because I didn't want to incur the maintenance costs. It was a few months before I realized that if I built a Marketplace and subsequent "gold" buildings, then my income would grow and I could build more buildings. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't understand my gaming habits, but hopefully I can enrich my daughter's life with "One more turn . . . "

Glad I'm not alone. :goodjob:

I got lucky with my spouse. She not only accepts but understands my need to game, read books, listen to music. It took my parents a long time to understand, and it only happened when I reminded them of how many times I got into trouble compared to my friends. I did go out, and have fun, but I enjoyed staying at home and spending some time listening to music and reading a book or playing a video game. When I put it like that, my parents said I did the right thing.

Ha, on my amiga I played Simcity.

My big brother played Civilization with his friends, and he let me watch over their shoulders. Of course, anything he was interested in, I was interested in, too.

i came across a used copy at a yard sale back in 94 while i was in high school and bought it not knowing what civ was. i was familiar with the name Sid Meiers. i remember my brother had pirates for the commodore 64 that i played the *&*& out of when i was 9 in 87-88

Plus, i think i only paid a couple of bucks for it - so i took a chance and instantly became a fan. its why i wish there was a TRUE used game market now a days, because it made me a lifelong fan and ive since bought 2-5 new and at full price.

im unclear if ill get beyond earth right away.. just seems like a civ 5 mod. ill probably end up with civ 5 complete before beyond earth. i ended up buying civ iv complete days before civ v cameout, even after having owned the vanilla civ iv for years.

Started playing civ 1 on the PC of the father of my pal. Pirated version of course. I guess I made it up to Sid by buying every single Civ / SMAC since then. ;)

Ahh! Back in the days when Civ 1 came out and I thought, "Blinkin' flip! That sounds just like my sort of game." Only problem is, back then, I was an Atari ST aficionado and it wasn't going to be released on the ST. So I, along with quite a lot of others, had to engage in a letter writing campaign to nag MicroProse and Sid into releasin a ST version. And bless 'em, they did.

The rest, of course, is a history of very bad but very happy Civ play :lol:

I can't remember what year it was, but it must have been a while after the release of Civ I, because my introduction to the series was when I picked up Colonization from a second hand game shop for 99 pence. Best damn 99 pence I ever spent, I played that game for years, always coming back to it. After many years had passed I wanted to play it again, but it wouldn't work on my new PC. That's when I searched google on how to get it working, and found out they'd re-made it. Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization. I looked for it on steam, and saw they were selling a bundle, Civ IV, all the expansions and Colonization! I bought it, spend time learning to play the other Civ games too. At the time I didn't like Civ as much as Col, but after a while I was absolutely hooked on Civ IV and pre-ordered V when it was announced. Now I'm looking forward to Beyond Earth! :D

I got sucked into one of those daisy chains of references for which 'TV Tropes' is notorious. Civ was the reference at the end. I liked what I read, so I ordered 'Civilization V: Complete Edition' on Amazon last March.

I haven't seen the light of day since the game arrived. :twitch:

It was almost by chance that I bought this game called Civilization in a shop to play a bit with my first PC, a Compag deskpro 386SX 20Mhz... long time ago.
Since, I play a lot! all the new versions of this title have been my favorite games.

Massive improvements have been made since Civ the fist, but the AI remains the weakest feature that need to be seriously and definetly reworked.

My gamer friends had started playing it, and I got it to get along and fit in and all that stuff last year.

Now they don't play it. I still do. I think I might be a little too good for them.

Yet not as good as the vast majority of you.

Started playing civ1 on PC back in 90's when we still used DOS :) And since then have played all parts.

I still miss some of the features that CIV1 has and CIV5 does not. For example, city view, palace building, we love the king day/ civil disorder parade (and people dressed depending on your era), space ship launch presentation etc.

In spring 1993 some guys at work showed me on the computer at lunch. By summer I had it on a computer at home and was losing sleep getting in trouble at work.

Bought the Civ III: Complete Edition back in about 2003-04. Was quickly hooked and I've owned every Civ since.

Civ I on Amiga. Game on the screen, dictionary on the table :) Civ is always installed on my machines.

A buddy of mine and his friends played Civ V when it first came out. I watched him play it as I was mesmerized by it and tried picking up on what to do. I was never a PC or strategy gamer until I saw Civ V in action and became hooked. After that we would play it all the time whenever I stopped by and eventually in 2012 I bought Civ V with G&K and absolutely loved it. Bought BNW the day it came out and recently I have had my girlfriend addicted to it so we always play together. I bought Civ IV: Complete Edition during this year's summer sale and have been loving it as well, even if I've had a bit of a rough adjustment to it. Now I have TF2, Hearthstone, Civ V and IV, Papers Please, Antichamber and Rust and LOVE playing games on a PC thanks to my buddy.

Original Civilization I on the Amiga back in the early 90s. Bought a pc and my first software purchase for it was a Sid Meier pack which contained Civ 1, Colonization, Pirates and Railroad Tycoon. Bought Civ 2 when it first came out and since then have bought every iteration of the game available on pc on the day of release.

I started playing in the early nineties but thought I couldn't play this at home because we had an Amiga, not a PC. I can't believe I missing out on a couple years of Civ 1 waiting to get a PC when I could have got it for Amiga!

Avalon Hill board games, then Sim City, Railroad Tycoon and onto Civ 1- plus every version since then.

Im rather new to Civ... being a Total war junkie I had my "one more turn" in the sense of Total war games. Something about Civ always rubbed me the wrong way, like random cities being built in random locations. Ghandi building the great wall of china and the Koreans building the statue of liberty.

I am one of those "romans are wearing the wrong sandles" sort of total war players so mods were always where I took interest in. Then I saw Civ 5 on sale on Steam... decided to buy it and now I am wondering what I was thinking... this game is awesome and my girlfriend even loves it.

However, It does lack things that will always bring me back to Total War... Those are simple game design choices like historical start locations, city locations, capturing a certain time and space rather than the whole time and space of human history; the ability to have "armies" and "stacks" with trained and role played Generals and faction leaders with a family tree....

I have yet to get that "whole I am being invaded" feeling like I get in Total war, where here I am simply sending tiles of units agaisnt other tiles of units there is no tactics but only strategy.... I am cool with this, just is taking some time to get used to.

Anyways.. I am loving Civ 5... especially playing with my girl as it gives us a game to play... TW is a bit rough with the battles..... but I hope to get into Civ 5 and learn more about it.

Top Bottom