Can't build settler

For some reason I can't build a settler. Not sure if it's the latest update or not.

I already had to abandon an old saved game today as it was stuck on choosing a pantheon. I would select the religion and a continue or such button came up, but it wouldn't do anything when I clicked on it.

Anyone else have this issue or is it just me.
-=Mark=-

I even just reinstalled windows the other day as I bought a 240gb SSD for it to speed things up, which it did.

3 things come in mind:

1. You play Venice

2. You play OCC mode

3. You are under -9 happiness

3 things come in mind:

1. You play Venice

2. You play OCC mode

3. You are under -9 happiness

lol didn't realize Venice doesn't allow you to build settlers. This sounds like a diplomacy game and pray no one attacks or gangs up on me.

I don't really see the power of the merchant of Venice and only puppet states.

This sounds like an interesting game.

Any hints for this crazy endeavor.
-=Mark=-

spend your extra trade routes (4ish? maybe 5) to capitol prod/food and go commerce to buy merchant of venice for faith. i think you can work on the rest.

lol didn't realize Venice doesn't allow you to build settlers. This sounds like a diplomacy game and pray no one attacks or gangs up on me.

I don't really see the power of the merchant of Venice and only puppet states.

This sounds like an interesting game.

Any hints for this crazy endeavor.
-=Mark=-

The power is the trade routes...you can use your standard number of trade routes to be rich and the next ones to send food between your capital and the puppet states you get. Buying a state to suddenly jump population by 10 and thwoir army is really nice for science

I would select the religion and a continue or such button came up, but it wouldn't do anything when I clicked on it.

Are you talking about the pantheon (which you get first) or the religion (which you get with a great prophet)? If the latter, you need to make sure that you select all the options (the icon/name, founder belief, and follower belief). Otherwise, the button is disabled.

Okay, I played a bunch of turns (100+) and now I'm starting to get it. The Great Merchant has an ability to basically capture any city-state and make it mine, but in a city-state which I normally can't control at all, but I can now buy production in the city for them. i.e. make the city state build what I want. ie more army to fight with, more science buildings to help research.

I find I get a lot of free great merchants in game. adopting policy, great works, and anything that gives a free settler gives me a Great Merchant instead.

I get the 100% trade route bonus, which doubles my trade routes. I just figured this out this morning. I have like 3 of 8 currently, so I need to get those made.

I have a few question on these trade routes, does a road add any bonuses? and will it pay for the roads? or how much of a road will it pay for? Roads aren't free anymore, like in Civ4.

If I move my caravan to a city-state, can I still choose it's ability? If not, is there a way to manipulate the city-state to choose what I want?

Is there a limit to trade routes per city? Can I put them all in my main city (Venice)? Right now they are set to hammers for production. But I'm losing on science currently, but almost 100 gold per turn.

I'm building most all of the merchant wonders, but for some reason I got a prophet instead? Can I pop a Great Merchant? Or is there a special way to earn them?

Adjuvant said:
spend your extra trade routes (4ish? maybe 5) to capitol prod/food and go commerce to buy merchant of venice for faith.

Is this the trick? I don't understand what what I'm suppose to do here. Use faith to buy Merchants?

By extra trade routes, do you mean half for production and half for gold? I get food with the 4 maritime city states for now to get my excess food from paying for friendship. Should I adopt the city-state tree? Or focus on Commerce. I just was able to open the commerce tree. I took all of tradition and two of the next tree where I get a free settler (merchant).

Well, that's enough question for one post. lol

I kind of like this scenario. I see people playing the one-pop challenge all of the time, but never tried it. It is nice they have incorporated it into the game so people can take the challenge (even if they don't initially know it.)

spend your extra trade routes (4ish? maybe 5) to capitol prod/food and go commerce to buy merchant of venice for faith. i think you can work on the rest.

I have a few question on these trade routes, does a road add any bonuses? and will it pay for the roads? or how much of a road will it pay for? Roads aren't free anymore, like in Civ4.

If I move my caravan to a city-state, can I still choose it's ability? If not, is there a way to manipulate the city-state to choose what I want?

Is there a limit to trade routes per city? Can I put them all in my main city (Venice)? Right now they are set to hammers for production. But I'm losing on science currently, but almost 100 gold per turn.

I'm building most all of the merchant wonders, but for some reason I got a prophet instead? Can I pop a Great Merchant? Or is there a special way to earn them?

Is this the trick? I don't understand what what I'm suppose to do here. Use faith to buy Merchants?

By extra trade routes, do you mean half for production and half for gold? I get food with the 4 maritime city states for now to get my excess food from paying for friendship. Should I adopt the city-state tree? Or focus on Commerce. I just was able to open the commerce tree. I took all of tradition and two of the next tree where I get a free settler (merchant).

Well, that's enough question for one post. lol

I kind of like this scenario. I see people playing the one-pop challenge all of the time, but never tried it. It is nice they have incorporated it into the game so people can take the challenge (even if they don't initially know it.)

Roads give no real advantage to trade routes when coastal (like Venice) because all your external routes should be cargo ships anyway unless you have no coastal cities. (2X bonus for cargo ship routes)

And all roads do to caravan routes anyway is extend the route, they don't increase gold bonus.

Yes, you can run all your routes from Venice. But it's better to have a few food cargo ships running routes to Venice to get a giant capital. Later if you don't need the food as much you can switch some for more hammers for Venice.

There's no point in faith buying GMOV as Venice, your first few city states will automaticly generate a few GMOV for you on top of how ever many you generate from Venice.
Right side of Commerce is useful for Freedom spacerace victory, but even there Rationalism is much better for everybody.

Marttime city states are actually first priority to buy via GMOV. Don't throw cash at that type nor on purpose do their quests. (Save your cash for making Merchicle city states allies)
You get 8+ food per turn from food cargo ships instead of just 3 to your capital & 1 to other cities from Martime City state allies.

Top Bottom