Alexander: The based AI

TheologiaCrucis

Warlord
Not only does this guy steal every CS from you, but while you have been spending the last 150 turns or so getting friendship with the CS's and trying to catch up, he then zergs your borders with an invading force and undoes all your work by leading the entire world to war against you.

Then, after you defeat his army, if you don't crush him utterly, he will denounce you and make your life miserable in World Congress by banning every single luxury you have, one by one.

And if you beat him, everyone else hates you for the rest of the game.

I just experienced this, but I deserved it as Assyria and had used my Siege Towers to annex 75% of our shared continent. That was fun! Fortunately for Alexander, he was on a difficult to invade peninsula, and I decided to consolidate my gains instead of bring him under heel. Fast forward to the Renaissance, and I regretted my earlier charity when I could very well have at least made the attempt.

Alex is my number 1 hate AI Civ. I take him out totally (or die trying) every game he's in. No exceptions, no quarter.

That's all I've got on that one...:)

Alex is my number 1 hate AI Civ. I take him out totally (or die trying) every game he's in. No exceptions, no quarter.

He's the most annoying to me also. Shaka can be a beast to deal with when he goes on the rampage and also spams cities everywhere, but Alex is even more of a nuisance.

In an Immortal game that I put on hold for a while to try some ideas post patch, Alex is on the opposite side of the Pangaea than I and has quickly built at least 10 cities and taken a couple from Morocco and is still barely able to keep happy, but of course being allied quickly with more than half the CS is helping his :).

I don't expect to be able to win this game before he can force his way to a Diplo V.

I'm playing a game right now where he has a huge tech lead on me (even though I got NC early as possible.) His cities are turtled up in Europe and I started in Central Africa. To get to him, I had to first defeat his invading army, then take a city he founded on the N. Africa coast, then sue for peace while I upgraded my units. I have Xbows and Trebuchets now, but he has musketmen when I don't even have Steel. He was building a University in his capitol when I didn't even have education because I rushed Printing Press to make sure I got LTOP.

The Mediterranean was so thick with CS triemes that I had to create a unit chain to get them through the water. Then I had to move them all up through N. Europe because there was no getting past Alex's mountain murderholes. You can forget a naval strike, because he has galleas already and I don't have time to get Compass because I'm still working on Education!

While all this is going on, I'm using all my cash and completing every CS quest possible to buy off his CS allies, one by one, so they don't take my army in the rear. Now all my troops are through, EXCEPT my army is too WEAK to attack him, so what I have to do first is take a couple of his allied citystates, camp my troops there and wait until I can upgrade them to march on him.

:undecide:

Well, at least I have LTOP. Now I'm rushing Accoustics and if I manage to get Sistene Chapel, it will all be worth it.

^
I'm not too familiar with earth map (first game I played was earth prince), but honestly I think Pisa is a bit overrated. You can get the GE for sistine or uffizi or PT, but I prefer to just go acoustics early and hard build sistine.

Basically the only way to fight against alex is early when he doesn't build up a bunch of allies, but you might need UUs against his UUs, or get to the point where you can take away his allies and outtech him through conquest or ideologies. the congress is a huge pain, I admit.

I tried a game where all the AI had UA oriented to CS, and tried for a diplo victory since I keep thinking that one is too easy. Alex kept the vote well away from me, and I was not getting anywhere, but at least I was able to back pedal to a SV.

Next game, my most recent, I hand picked AI to make the game difficult, but Alex was the only one with a CS bent. He cleared his continent (poor Pedro), allied all the CS, and got a Diplo victory the first time the vote came up. I was no where close (for any definition of “close”). I was impressed, and I won't be trying that combo again! Given how slow I start, Alex being containable is too much of an RNG factor.

that sounds about right. He is like a cockroach....

Based Alex. Manages to have a strong army, a large and well-developed empire, and many CS allies all at once. He goes to war often, so other civs don't like him that much, but he just doesn't care because the CS all love him. And when you get rid of him (not an easy task), the other civs hate you even more than they hated him. Shouldn't they be thanking you?

Top Bottom