The Deity Challenge Line-up #22 - Brazil, King of the Jungle

Spoiler :
After this map I'll officially declare Alex the most annoying AI ever. Impossible to keep a single CS around, makes my current end game painful, next time I'll seriously consider wiping him.

Also of course I got outed of the WC so I can't propose international games and everybody else is just trying to ban stuff. And Alex got himself banned so no TR bonus to catch up to his 20K at T200.

That will probably be a slow crawl for once despite a rather good beginning.

Any chance of a Pracinha sub-strategy to bring on the Carnivals, Acken?

Ditto. Cheers, Bob.

I thought you were going to pay the 329 GPT...
Spoiler :
329 GPT was a lot, but voting for him while he was in control of every CS (minus all those Maria-Theresa married :p) was really the stopper here (he even took Jerusalem from me at the end). I won my culture victory a few turns after the first election. He was the culture runaway but i also had to deal with Austria who had won Worlds Fair.

Now, i didn't really calculated how long it would take or how many votes Alex would have. Maybe i would have won faster if i had payed this but i didn't care. I wasn't going to vote for him! I would rather invade him with an army of black metal style great musicians than pay all this nonsense :lol: (and i would have bought Jerusalem back before for good measure)

@Acken
Spoiler :
Did Alex go Autocracy in your game like he did in mine? He was 1st military power so i suspect he just went Gunboat Diplomacy and with almost no CS influence loss he just started to accumulate influence at an incredible rate

*imagines what the REAL Alexander of Macedon would make of black metal music* :D

282 culture victory. Could have been a lot faster - i forgot to get airports before I started buying musicians =(

Spoiler :

My first CV on Deity, my first time playing Brazil. I did quite a few mistakes that cost me several turns.
Also, I usually have the "worker do not replace improvements" and "workers do not remove features" turned on, so at some point I automate them. I did not check the save game options, so I lost a tourism due to workers building mines on uranium.

Spoiler :
So I settled on the hill right next to the start location, only to wander north with the warrior and see the salt area. I instantly restarted and moved my settler there.
I am usually no fan of moving around with my settler, but this location was just insane.

I settled my second city on that said hill at the starting location, my third next to Mt Kili, build NC and bought a fourth settler and moved it south next to Greece to have a coastal city and get those furs. The furs were stolen by Greece around t229, and I probably should have bought more land towards Greece as he got a lot even before the GG and without a close city (Pharsalos was only build after he used the GG).

I got my workers from China, who would not stop sending her workers to those salt field. I only stopped once I got a caravan and no other city was in reach yet.

I sent Shoshone to DOW China instead, was quite cheap, he took all but Bejing, which pretty much annihilated China as a thread. And in late game he took that as well. Alexander did not need any bribes, he was already on a war path. Basically everyone except Portugal was at constant war all game long. At one point everyone (except me) was at war with Greece, but he was 10+ techs advanced and wasn't even struggling.
Greece of course had the most culture as well, along with Austria. But Austria lost all but one city to the Shoshone near the end. Sadly he did not wipe her out completely and Alexander, even though at war, did not really attempt as well. otherwise I probably would have ended the game earlier. With Austria still around I had to use one musician on her, and wait a few turns to get enough tourism.

Greece was Science runaway all game long, he also had most of the City states, only missing like 3 votes for World Leader, so I kept some money on the side to intervene if necessary, which never was as even though he could, he apparently never researched Globalization and never used his spies as diplomats either. Most of the game he was at 5-10 techs advanced from me, even though at some point I had RA with everyone still alive (except Greece [no DOF for U!] and China [no funds]). Only in the last 20 turns or so I caught up with him, with him only 1 tech more.

Everyone loved me, except Greece of course. I guess my coastal city did not sit too well with him. But, since he was at war all game long anyway, he was too busy to DOW me.

In the end I DOWed him to pop my musicians and I ended up with this:

Of course my tourism was falling afterwards and I had to reload and wait another turn. I popped again, but for some reason, even though I had him influential now, I did not get the win, so another reload and waited another turn, and this time it worked.

Attachments

• 2015-03-03_00005.jpg
    2015-03-03_00005.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 451
  • 2015-03-03_00006.jpg
    2015-03-03_00006.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 2015-03-03_00004.jpg
    2015-03-03_00004.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 2015-03-03_00003.jpg
    2015-03-03_00003.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 104
CV T286

Spoiler :

Settled by the hill and played 3 city Tradition. My TPT was kinda low (sub 500 before T275 when heritage sites were passed and that was during Carnival) but I still managed to win CV. I have already started building spaceparts for SV which was a backup plan. I have used 2 GM in the Incan lands who were a culture leader. They were also finishing off Portugal who had a strong culture. If Portugal survived I would have needed more GMs. I had enough faith to eventually buy another GM but I did not really need it and none of the cities had a religion anyway. I had no army at all except a few archers and 1 nuke. It's funny how AI changes attitude when you have 1 nuke.

Policies: Full Trad, Rationalism, Aesthetics. Patronage opener.
Ideology: Freedom x7
Religion: none

consentient, thanks for the spreadsheet but it is not 100% accurate :) I have also finished the Spanish DCL and the 1st page has not been updated. That is regarding me, I don't know about others.

Attachments

• bra.jpg
    bra.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 435
consentient, thanks for the spreadsheet but it is not 100% accurate :) I have also finished the Spanish DCL and the 1st page has not been updated. That is regarding me, I don't know about others.

A couple of the pages were mysteriously wiped, so I have to redo them. And yes, it does usually take a couple of days for me to register everything around the spreadsheet. Be patient! :)

[EDIT: I went back through the Spain thread and it seems the reason I probably missed your victory is because you didn't put the victory announcement on the first line. You made some comment and then the 'T999 SV' or whatever started on the second sentence. Maybe Acken can put a note in the next DCL about how victory announcements should be in the first line, in bold, so I can spot them more easily.]

Turn 267 Domination Victory

Screenshot:
Spoiler :

Probably crappy writeup:
Spoiler :
Tried to play this "blind" which is why I didn't go to the Salt for my capital, felt that would be cheating a bit. Settled on the Hill to the right of where you spawn. DoWed China to block their Settler from trying to get to the Salt spot and kept having to do the dumbest blockading shuffles with units to stop China and Pocatello from getting a Settler in and dropping a garbage city. After I won I went back and looked, they were trying to settle on a crappy Bananas title with no lux, no strategics, nothing but taking space and stealing my tiles. So dumb.

Settled my 2nd city on the sheep near the Salt and 3rd between Kilimanjaro and the normal mountain. Kept paying Alex to fight people, Arabia was keeping him busy well but then the Inca decided to come in and take Medina + Mecca and wipe him out. Beelined Education and decided it was a bad situation to try an Xbow push, had a very slow start from lux being covered in jungle and Alex had annoying city locations. Got the Inca to DoW Alex cheap because he hated him to keep him busy while I teched. Pushed to Artillery and Oxforded Dynamite at t168 I think. Crushed Alex with Cavs + Artillery very easily because he was still on Xbows and Pikes. The Inca hit an early Flight so I decided to DoF him and come back later when I had my own planes/AA Guns.

Went up to Wu and she was also easy to smash through with my well-promoted Cavs + Artillery even with the Great Wall up. Rolled through Bejing, took a few other cities to give me easy access to Austria and Pocatello and made peace. Shortly after that I hit a happiness Carnival which was cool because Wu had Chichen Itza. Hit Landships + Great War Bombers and steamrolled the Shoshone and Austria.

Eventually had to go after the Inca and that was what slowed me down the most, he was a massive runaway compared to everyone but me and his spam was a bit annoying but my Blitz Repair Charge Landships did a number on his units and cities along with the Range Logistics Artillery. My AA Guns and Triplane pilots were apparently all drunk because they didn't do squat to shoot down his Great War Bombers so I lost a few artillery while taking Cusco + the city behind it to get to Portugal and a few of his other cities on the way down to take Mecca. Finally made peace with him after about 30 turns of spam fighting and he gave me 9999 gold(apparently you can't get 5-digits in trades anymore :() + like 150 gpt that I was too lazy to spend much of because the game was won by then. Drug my army up to Portugal and crushed her in about 7-8 turns and that was the game.

Religion: I ended up taking God-King because someone sniped Sacred Path, so naturally I backdoored a religion on like turn 105 with it. The game epically trolled me by having Pilgrimage still be available. In any CV game I try Pilgrimage is always gone and I can get locked out of a religion as early as turn 55 but the one time I don't care it's available. Took Tithe + food from shrines/temples and seeded a couple cities with a Missionary. Religion really wasn't a factor, I probably would have preferred someone else's tbh.

Policies: Full Tradition(built Oracle in Salt city, most consistent wonder on Deity imo), Honor opener, Secularism, finish Honor, Order because I needed to keep Pachacuti friendly so his colossal army didn't come after me.

Like most of my games I probably could have shaved 5-15 turns off the end game, anyone who's watched my games knows how ADD I get in the endgame :p

Alright finished at T221 with a culture victory, faster than I expected actually. Video finished and should be available in a few days.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Nothing truly original, spammed woodcamps, had to pick airports+internet in this one. At turn 221 Greece was at 25K culture. I guess his constant wars and missing a couple cultural CS slowed him down.

Kissed his ass in the end to keep open borders and not get Dowed so I elected him for the WC, gave him gold and improved a landmark in his territory. Would have been faster if this idiot tried to repeal his embargo or tried to pass international games.
I got no bonus out of the WC besides winning WF. I was outed of propositions after the first and the AI spent its time banning/embargo.

I'm very sad that I wasn't able to spread my jungle culture religion in my expansions...

Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz9N-DDH4Ew&list=PL5IXV43xjKWSHFIT5BaSxAusv0-0TWU79

SV @319
Spoiler :
decided to go with 5 cities to block the Chinese and Shoshones to try settling in the middle of my setup,Alexander was close but was busy waring most of the other Civs
Had to repeal Shoshones and Chinese attacks earlier on which put me behind.
I did not work enough my culture, mess my timing as I never finished rationalism, one short ,finished mercantilism and had too much money saved for the parts and still 2500 faith saved.Could not help myself buying nukes on last turn to bomb the Chinese that kept stealing my land with GG

Attachments

• Pedro .jpg
    Pedro .jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 152
ElCee delivered rather superbly :)

It's obvious that luck plays a factor in playing peacefully. Once I'm done with Poland, I'll finally have another whack at this

Turn 267 Domination Victory

Screenshot:
Spoiler :

Probably crappy writeup:
Spoiler :
Tried to play this "blind" which is why I didn't go to the Salt for my capital, felt that would be cheating a bit. Settled on the Hill to the right of where you spawn. DoWed China to block their Settler from trying to get to the Salt spot and kept having to do the dumbest blockading shuffles with units to stop China and Pocatello from getting a Settler in and dropping a garbage city. After I won I went back and looked, they were trying to settle on a crappy Bananas title with no lux, no strategics, nothing but taking space and stealing my tiles. So dumb.

Settled my 2nd city on the sheep near the Salt and 3rd between Kilimanjaro and the normal mountain. Kept paying Alex to fight people, Arabia was keeping him busy well but then the Inca decided to come in and take Medina + Mecca and wipe him out. Beelined Education and decided it was a bad situation to try an Xbow push, had a very slow start from lux being covered in jungle and Alex had annoying city locations. Got the Inca to DoW Alex cheap because he hated him to keep him busy while I teched. Pushed to Artillery and Oxforded Dynamite at t168 I think. Crushed Alex with Cavs + Artillery very easily because he was still on Xbows and Pikes. The Inca hit an early Flight so I decided to DoF him and come back later when I had my own planes/AA Guns.

Went up to Wu and she was also easy to smash through with my well-promoted Cavs + Artillery even with the Great Wall up. Rolled through Bejing, took a few other cities to give me easy access to Austria and Pocatello and made peace. Shortly after that I hit a happiness Carnival which was cool because Wu had Chichen Itza. Hit Landships + Great War Bombers and steamrolled the Shoshone and Austria.

Eventually had to go after the Inca and that was what slowed me down the most, he was a massive runaway compared to everyone but me and his spam was a bit annoying but my Blitz Repair Charge Landships did a number on his units and cities along with the Range Logistics Artillery. My AA Guns and Triplane pilots were apparently all drunk because they didn't do squat to shoot down his Great War Bombers so I lost a few artillery while taking Cusco + the city behind it to get to Portugal and a few of his other cities on the way down to take Mecca. Finally made peace with him after about 30 turns of spam fighting and he gave me 9999 gold(apparently you can't get 5-digits in trades anymore :() + like 150 gpt that I was too lazy to spend much of because the game was won by then. Drug my army up to Portugal and crushed her in about 7-8 turns and that was the game.

Religion: I ended up taking God-King because someone sniped Sacred Path, so naturally I backdoored a religion on like turn 105 with it. The game epically trolled me by having Pilgrimage still be available. In any CV game I try Pilgrimage is always gone and I can get locked out of a religion as early as turn 55 but the one time I don't care it's available. Took Tithe + food from shrines/temples and seeded a couple cities with a Missionary. Religion really wasn't a factor, I probably would have preferred someone else's tbh.

Policies: Full Tradition(built Oracle in Salt city, most consistent wonder on Deity imo), Honor opener, Secularism, finish Honor, Order because I needed to keep Pachacuti friendly so his colossal army didn't come after me.

Like most of my games I probably could have shaved 5-15 turns off the end game, anyone who's watched my games knows how ADD I get in the endgame :p

how did you deal with ideology pressure!
Spoiler :
I was forced to wipe out alex for that reason :mad:, while trying to clean the map

ElCee delivered rather superbly :)

It's obvious that luck plays a factor in playing peacefully. Once I'm done with Poland, I'll finally have another whack at this

Thanks :) Yes, going peaceful does have a good bit of luck involved, but I just don't want to emphasize that too much because I feel it kind of takes away from other people's accomplishments.

how did you deal with ideology pressure!
Spoiler :
I was forced to wipe out alex for that reason :mad:, while trying to clean the map

It actually was a pain once I started to hit +20 unhappiness from ideologies because a number of cities were already at their local happiness cap. The ones that didn't were puppets and unfortunately I didn't have enough cheap units to put everywhere to take advantage of Military Caste(normally spam Scouts but they go obsolete at Scientific Theory and I forgot to build some). I wanted to raze a few Incan cities but I couldn't during the heat of war because the combat penalty would have been painful. I actually intentionally let a city-state take Graz or w/e Austrian city I had up north knowing they would burn it down. I had kept it because I thought I would need it for Vienna but I didn't.

It was still worth it to be Pachacuti's friend for a while to stave him off, though. He eventually backtsab denounced me but by then I had already used our friendship to get him into 3 wars and sold him a bunch of luxuries that no one else would buy.

I had a good session updating the spreadsheet this evening and it should be completely accurate now. If you spot any errors, please PM me.

@Acken

Could you add a note to the next DCL to say that finishers should post their victory post with the Turn number and VC in bold at the beginning of their post, please?

e.g

T271 DomV

Wow I had fun kicking ass...

Makes it way easier to spot write-ups and distinguish them from discussion posts. I'd been missing some because they bury their victory statement way down amongst walls of text.

Top Bottom