Budweiser Immortal Challenge - GP CV

budweiser

King of the Beers
The challenge is win a cultural victory. You may not build or capture a World Wonder. You may not found a religion.

Here is the save. Please no spoiling. Sadly, Map Packs are required. I forgot to take them out.

Edit: See post #13 in this thread for the same map, map packs removed.

Attachments

• Culture.Civ5Save
    541.8 KB · Views: 182
If I spawn a prophet by accident, am I to delete him immediately?

(also, this looks quite doable on Immortal, I'll have a go at it)

edit: not a bad start. 4 city NC will be done by 80-85, already spawned a prophet and had him planted :)

If I spawn a prophet by accident, am I to delete him immediately?

(also, this looks quite doable on Immortal, I'll have a go at it)

edit: not a bad start. 4 city NC will be done by 80-85, already spawned a prophet and had him planted :)

You can create holy site :)

What does GP stand for?

[EDIT: Nevermind, the save has map packs enabled anyway :(]

What does GP stand for?

Great Person

That's where your tourism is coming from.

Spoiler :
I'm not happy with my effort. The cap did not grow so fast.

Sorry about map packs. I'm rusty. That will potentially ruin the whole thing.

Maybe you could post another one, then, if your own effort didn't go so well and some of us can't play the map but would like to? :)

Would you mind hosting an image of the start location as well in the future? Pwease :)

also, try to think of more such challenges in the future to hit us with, this one in particular combines a good start with fairly straightforward "penalties". This combo in particular however, is kind of unfair as it made me burn 3 prophets already :lol:

The challenge is win a cultural victory. You may not build or capture a World Wonder. You may not found a religion.
Are we allowed to capture great works and raze world wonders cities? ;)
Also, why no religion? Why not rules "no tourism beliefs". Religion can help you in more subtle ways (grow your cities, get some happiness).

Map packs are evil :satan:

Slightly OT, but inspired by the OP, I have to say that I'm in favour of many more challenges than currently exist (DCL and ICL alone are not enough for me!) but I don't want to contribute to weakening support for the existing ones.

However, I think Budweiser posted this one because the DCL has been dead for the past few weeks. After 'bringing in' 20+ new players for the Aztec and Babylon DCLs, the number of finishes for recent maps has been really poor.

I'm not sure what the best 'way forward' is, and I was thinking about whether its a good idea to put some kind of discussion thread out there to gather opinions about it, from the DCL and ICL hosts and the regular players.

For example, I've been clucking to try Large and maybe even Huge maps, and it would be much more enjoyable to play them along with other people and compare our stories, but right now it seems that support has waned considerably. I wonder if it's not just that people are busy playing other games. I guess nothing lasts forever... :(

Smite evil

Here is your map cleansed from references to the useless map packs :)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6047647/Culture-ed.Civ5Save
Spoiler starting location :

For anyone interested : removing map packs after map creation is possible with a Hex editor. Here you can see the header part of the original map with highlighted map packs
Spoiler :

And here i replaced that header with one from a freshly generated celts/pangea/immortal map with no map packs
Spoiler :

It's safer to use the entire header (all the way to the big FF FF FF ... block) than try to remove the map packs references by hand, as the later lead to crashes for me.

Well, now that i could play the map, why forbid religion completely? With Celts it's a bit sad not even being able to make a food religion with Goddes of Hunt - feed the world or something else that won't affect a culture victory (no SS, no religious art).

yeah thing is, I almost always pick Tithe and a religion building if available, otherwise growth/production, so I almost never bother trying to push World Religion because it never snowballs well enough to convert most of other guys unless I spam prophets and/or pick Evangelism, so no religion gimps my style a lot more, but oh well, I'll try and get happiness back from the UB ;)

Nice one, Bob :)

yeah Bob, that's some m4d 1337 hax0rz skillz :lol:

no, seriously, awesome work. Now there's no more need to specify map packs or no map packs :)

I started playing this.. and. Um. Holy Sites by themselves won't produce any tourism. So you basically must pass Historical Monuments to get any culture out of them. 2 to be precise. That's 4 tourism with Hotels, Airports, and NVC. Piety finisher gives 3 cpt for holy sites, but it feels dumb going down full Piety without founding a religion.

But maybe I will in fact go down Piety as a second tree. I already started Liberty and settled into my nehgbors' faces, nabbing me some settlers to prevent their expansion. Now it's time to build some army.

ah yes, I kind of forgot Holy Sites need the Piety finisher to produce culture.. hmm, this might prove to be slippery in the end

HINT:

Spoiler :
You can still work towards a shared religion, which is huge. I didnt even consider it at first. Secondly, you buy late game faith GMs. A harder challenge should not have included such a faith generating power house as The Celts.

Top Bottom