Always War Challenge -Attila Deity-Winnable

Mark1031

Deity
People seem to have lost interest in the always war games. Everyone seemed to want to try on deity but I have tried a number of map types and I could never do it. Now I have (well I haven’t completed it yet because it is a time consuming slog at the end but it is in the bag at turn 380ish and I will finish and post) so I thought I would post it if anyone would like to try.

Map: Continents
Civ: Huns
Selected opponents: Maya, Venice, Songhai, Arabia, Syria, Babylon, Morroco
Raging Barbs, Only Domination enabled
Map packs off

It is not totally legit win as I reloaded on 2 occasions but I was trying to learn if it could be done and it can.

The one rule is that as soon as you meet a Civ (NOT a CS) you must declare war on that turn. It means about the only thing you can do is get an embassy to see where their capital is and then declare. There is no peace ever, even if they offer!

AWD Start.jpg

View attachment Winnable AWD Attila_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save

I'm assuming it's Assyria

Done- T391 Dom.

Spoiler :
Early Game: Standard Hun strategy. Lots of HAs and a few rams to take out Arabia and Morocco. Left Venice for spy, trade route plunder and unit training. Got Machu Pichu which was great as $$ is always an issue. Went full Honor and a bit into liberty. I always go into the left arm of Honor first to get the HAs trained up to double shot quickly.
Mid Game: Develop research and economy. Some mountain cities with jungle for observatories and high science. Went up the top half of the tree with a particular interest in getting to refrigeration for subs and a good navy. Opened patronage and built Forbidden Palace, took out Venice after meeting the other continent which only had Maya and Babylon-Maya were the big boys. Took Venice religion (Pagodas) everywhere and went into commerce tree. Was allied with all the CSs on my continent and with the FP I could control the WC. This is important-I got Scholars in Residence. Autocracy was taken by both Maya and Babs so I went order and made this the preferred Ideology. With this and full commerce I was very happy. In many of my games the WC has killed me. They cut off all my lux and ideology causing great problems.

Mistake: Wasn’t paying attention to some open land and Babylon got 2 cities down and brought in a bunch of bombers and GW infantry before I was close to flight.- My army was HAs and muskets. Restarted and put sentries in place.- Do not let them get a foothold on your continent.

Late game: Didn’t take science lead until very late with nanotech. Tried an early landing with infantry and arty but got pushed back (I restarted here but it was not game changing as I only lost a couple of units). I had a dominant navy of well trained subs to control the seas. I nuked their capitols to slow them down and built up an invasion force. Finished with stealth bombers and XCOMs.

Invasion.jpg

final turn.jpg

View attachment pre win Attila_0391 AD-1971.Civ5Save

I wiped out
Spoiler :
Venice
really early and was moving toward the other
Spoiler :
pussycats
but then I realised it was a Continents map and since I already played one Huns map on continents and found it really hard, I didn't want to slog through another one so soon after. I might come back to this one later.

They really need to make this all war thing a setting like how OCC is. It makes deity pretty difficult even if you are very good at this game.

A setting would be a nice feature. Could that work with the allowance to initially share embassies? How much harder is “always war all the time” versus only enabling the domination VC?

When only domination is enabled game is much easier

I agree, as for a Dom win to be satisfying, you want the time pressure of SV or CV being an option for the AI. OTOH, the AIs are more aggressive when other VC are disabled. So what is the sweet spot?

I agree, as for a Dom win to be satisfying, you want the time pressure of SV or CV being an option for the AI. OTOH, the AIs are more aggressive when other VC are disabled. So what is the sweet spot?

I have played AW quite a bit and a SV is easily obtained, esp. if you take an entire continent with the Huns. I have done it with an isolated start 4 city as Babs on immortal. CV with AW is also not a concern as there are no open borders or trade routes and you can kill all their musicians. Perhaps if other continent was all peaceful with Korea you might have a problem but I don't think it will generally make it harder to make it Dom only. I actually did it so I wouldn't get lazy and just take the SV. Has anyone tried this? It is not as easy as you might think.

Top Bottom