Quick Questions and Answers

Right. For example, if I had 4 iron, I would only be able to build 4 swordsmen, because each unit uses 1 iron. Same goes for building horsemen with horses, nukes with uranium, etc.
The important thing to note here is that the consumed resource is released back into your pool when the unit dies or the building is destroyed. So if you have 4 iron and build 4 swordsmen, you'll be down to 0 iron for a while. When one dies, your available iron will go back up to 1 so you can build another unit/building that consumes iron. This is very briefly described in the Civilopedia if you dig around around enough or know where to look.

Good morning. Two really quick questions:

- I'd like to know if the tile acquired from regular border expansion is random, or if there's a way to determine it.
- Why some tiles have a purple outlining? I see that having that outline make them cost less, but why is it there in the first place?

Thanks!

- I'd like to know if the tile acquired from regular border expansion is random, or if there's a way to determine it.
- Why some tiles have a purple outlining? I see that having that outline make them cost less, but why is it there in the first place?

Thanks!

I think you are answering your own questions. The tiles with a purple outline are the ones you will get next.

Thanks!

It is sort of random. While the tiles acquired are randomly selected, the most favorable terrain is taken first. For example a flood plains with wheat will be taken over a mountain.

The outline is the next targeted tile that you will naturally get. What I am not sure of though is if you buy that tile, does your culture bucket empty, or do you carry it over to the next tile?

Hello all,

Long time Civ 4 player giving Civ 5 a second crack. I enjoyed it the first time but there were some new concepts I just didn't like/get. I went back to Civ 4. I have a couple of general questions that hopefully some of you could answer.

1. I'm new to Steam as well. Is my Civ 5 being patched automatically? How would I know which build I should have?

2. I bought Civ 5 when it came out and a lot of people were complaining about it. It's been a year now, has there been a lot of changes since it was first released? I know diplomacy was pretty crappy. Any significant changes?

3. I have trouble grasping the concept of science being tied to population. I mean, especially since because of unhappiness, you shouldn't have many cities and if you grow them to big, you could have happiness issues. But if you can't grow your cities, how can you increase your tech speed? What if you spawn in an area of the map where there are limited luxury resources? I assume getting a tech advantage in Civ 5 is just as important as in Civ 4 in order to achieve a military advantage or win a science victory.

I know I'll need to relearn the game because the same concepts of Civ 4 won't apply here, especially tech pace/speed.

1. I'm new to Steam as well. Is my Civ 5 being patched automatically? How would I know which build I should have?

Steam patches the games automatically, except when you turned it off. But auto-patching is on by default.

Can't really say much about 2&3 sorry.

It is sort of random. While the tiles acquired are randomly selected, the most favorable terrain is taken first. For example a flood plains with wheat will be taken over a mountain.

The outline is the next targeted tile that you will naturally get. What I am not sure of though is if you buy that tile, does your culture bucket empty, or do you carry it over to the next tile?

So, the purple ones are the best (and cheapest choice). The most favorable terrains are taken first (since, as I can see, there can be more than one simultaneously). The random tile is chosen among them. Final question: is "most favorable terrains" predictable?

However, to counter-answer you: I just tried to buy a tile and the culture bucket does not empty itself; it stays where it is for the next tile.

Hey folks,

Does anyone know of a place where I can find info on what data is in a Civ V savegame? i.e. where does it tell you what technologies a civ unlocked and in what year, etc.?

Alternatively - can anyone direct me towards someone who might know?

Some of the naval system stuff, such as being able to capture a city, is only available in Gods & Kings - not vanilla CiV.

The only major documented AI tweek is that a negative diplomacy modifier was removed in the recent patch. Other AI changes are in Gods & Kings only.

If I finish building Chichen Itza in the middle of ongoing GA, will this particular GA be extended?
And if the answer is positive, how many turns of GA will be added?

Is there anyway to stop that incredibly annoying pop-up at the start of every turn saying the year and what Civ you are? I'm not stupid, I haven't forgotten what Civilisation I am playing in the time it takes to end turn.

I've never seen that. There is an option to turn off pop-ups, but I actually do have that enabled as without it some achievements wouldn't work...

Could it be that you are playing a hotseat game, so every turn it would actually be another players turn? I'm afraid in that case that pop-up can't be disabled.

I take it by that there isn't a way to get rid. :lol: Nevermind, it's just something that bothers me. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I haven't played Civ5 for quite a while, I just started it up again, the game updated to version 1.0.1.674, but I'm mising the unit box in the left bottom corner:

There's nothing there and I can't give any command to my units. I tried several resolutions, but that doesn't make any difference. Pressing 'next turn' also makes no difference. I haven't checked the site, don't know if everybody's had this, but is there any solution?

Top Bottom