W.I.N.T.E.R's Makings Thread

W.I.N.T.E.R.

May I please put in a request for a Confederate WW1 unit and WW2 unit... they both need to be butternut colour, but the WW1 units should be armed with a single bolt action rifle (Springfield), but the WW2 units needs to have a semi automatic/auto e.g. M1 Grand Carbine or a STG44... these are for the up coming scenario's of Harry Turtledoves books. (Great War, Settling Accounts)

May I also request using some of your units as they are of excellent detail, espically for Canadian WW1 and WW1 Imperial Japanese Infantry units.

If this is possible I would be most indebted to you.

Thank you

Nonsense. Of course you may use them, that's why they exist: To be used :)

Uhm, if you could throw in some images and colour examples of something that goes into the desired direction, I'd be intreagued enough as to look into it...

Excellent...

Basically the WW1 Confederate inf will be a british rifleman but more lighter the Khaki colour, sorry i have no colours as this is all from a non-fictional novel.

The ww2 unit will kinda have to look like a german trooper (afica) with a semi auto, or STG. Same kind of colour again as the american troops are field green :goodjob:

Actualy the normal WWI Infantry looks like that- with lighter Khaki it'd resemble a pre-war US marine infantry (Pacific Theatre). Would it carry a helmet or the US-style pre-war hat?

About the WWII one- I can try to make one, though it'd be a long term project since I got some other stuff in the pipeline which is increasingly burning underneath my fingernails (btw. what's afica?). Again, what kind of headgear/helmet would the unit carry, German-style or American?

I think he was talking about making it like the africa korps...

interesting what-if stuff (although I'd say it would be the north with more german influence and the south with a more british influence if the secession succeeded, considering ethnic make up of the north and south and the british podssibly supported CSA independence, but thats my 2 cents)

Ekmek said:
I think he was talking about making it like the africa korps...

interesting what-if stuff (although I'd say it would be the north with more german influence and the south with a more british influence if the secession succeeded, considering ethnic make up of the north and south and the british podssibly supported CSA independence, but thats my 2 cents)
Tho, Texas, Oklahoma and the lot are full of ppl. of German descent (spelling)... on the other hand I'd keep the US of A as history has let'em develop, and rather make up the CS of A accordingly. While for WWI this is still rather easy (there were namely 3 world-important military industries at the time: British, French and German) WWII still leaves a rather big ?, especially since I still haven't made and Africa Corps yet (and that one I'd like to make it with the DAK Feldmütze (Field Cap), and possibly based upon the British Rifleman anyways, since the desert uniforms didn't differ that much from army to army- pretty functional in its active use.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Actualy the normal WWI Infantry looks like that- with lighter Khaki it'd resemble a pre-war US marine infantry (Pacific Theatre). Would it carry a helmet or the US-style pre-war hat?

Could it be possible to try making just one of those pre-war US marine infantry? I really mean those yanks before WW1, that landed in central-america, Morocco and so on for special short duties. What really seperated them was their hats. Don't know what they called them, but they where "an upgrade" of classic cowboy-hats I think. I hope you know what I'm thalking about.

Cemo

cemo1956 said:
Could it be possible to try making just one of those pre-war US marine infantry? I really mean those yanks before WW1, that landed in central-america, Morocco and so on for special short duties. What really seperated them was their hats. Don't know what they called them, but they where "an upgrade" of classic cowboy-hats I think. I hope you know what I'm thalking about.

Cemo
something like this? iirc, this is an army infantry uni from around the time of the Spanish/American War. i've always wanted one of these...

Attachments

• span_am.jpg
    span_am.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 332
El Justo said:
something like this? iirc, this is an army infantry uni from around the time of the Spanish/American War. i've always wanted one of these...
yup, Spanish-American war indeed... but that's actualy Teddy Roosevelt's dismounted cavalry,

... thought this was what was meant (???)

What I was meaning was for the WW1 infantry for the USA is a German WW1 infantry and yes even with the pointed hat but in a deep field green. This is how it is desricbed in the book and the CSA infantry in WW1 is just the same as a British WW1 Infantry (same tin hat) but a lighter Khaki colour.

For the WW2 infantry for the CSA is was to be based on a German Afika Korp Infantry but with a M1 Grand (semi atuo) or STG44 (semi atuo) keeping with the same colour concept of the Afika Korp. With the USA WW2 infantry, it is supposed to be a normal WW2 US infantry like in Small/Fast/Beautiful WW2 Europe Scenario, but more deep/dark green and only with a Springfield Single-shot (bolt action) rifle (like from WW1 scenarios). Later on, as I will probably find out the US will evolve as the war goes on and I will hopefully just get to use the normal US WW2 infantry with the M1 Grand.

Sorry I did not make this more clearer earlier. :)

El Justo said:
nice work Winter...the Argentinian one'll go into TCW. thanks!
It was hard to establsih the Argentinian's Colours- I was told they were wearing some sort of greenish-khaki uniform, though the non-coloured photos I found don't mirror the exact shade(s), and seem to suggest the helmets appeared in very different shades of their own, according to the type of the military unit they were in use with (so far the ones seen at parades/in urban environment/with artillery forces were either depicted in bronce-, forest- and khaki-green, whith military police wearing blue ones... infantry forces appear wearing a lighter coloured helmet, though without me being able to tell what colour that might have been). Color pictures of WWII-epoch Argentinian Infantry greatly welcomed :)

Color pictures of WWII-epoch Argentinian Infantry greatly welcomed
i'm having a devil of a time finding these. however, even so, i believe that the lighter coloured helmet is a nice diferrentiator (if there is such a word).

there are a few left to do...

As for countries/states, and in no particular order:

Italia
Greece
Portugal
Denmark/Baltic
Holland
Belgium
Romania
Bulgaria
Yugoslavia
Turky (work started)
India
Free India (work started)
China
Koumintang
---

and some special ones such as...

German Africa Korps
UK 8th Army
Italian Besaglieri
French Legion Etranger

German Fallschirmjäger (work started)
UK Paratrooper/Marine
Japanese Lander/Para
French Chasseurs Alpins
---

Perhaps even some day a...

Soviet Red Army
and some HMGs

El Justo said:
i'm having a devil of a time finding these. however, even so, i believe that the lighter coloured helmet is a nice diferrentiator (if there is such a word).
It aslo a differently shaped helmet (very frustrating doing those at Civ-size :()

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
It aslo a differently shaped helmet (very frustrating doing those at Civ-size :()
I know how frustrating that can be. I tried once to do what you do. I tried to edit the WW2 HMG unit to be a modern 50cal HMG. I'm not sure how you keep from going insane doing these detailed edits.

Top Bottom