New Fantasy Mod

Steel General

Master of Temporal Fugue
Was just wondering if there would be any interest in a new fantasy mod? I had my own fairly well developed D&D campaign a few years back and have quite a bit of background information, etc. that could be used to create one.

Now here's the caveat (sp?)...I have no clue on how to create a mod :D , I'm more than willing to submit any/all the background information I have to get it started but I would need someone else to do most of the actual work.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I will begin putting together some of the basic information needed to get started (i.e. List of civs, possible wonders, etc.)

Thanks...

Yeah I have, and this wouldn't be a D&D mod, just a fantasy mod based on my D&D world. Its more the "manila" fantasy mod than being related to a specific "genre" (i.e. Warhammer, D&D, Warcraft).

If nobody's interested its no big deal, just thought I would throw it out there and see what kind of response I'd get.

I'd also bounced around the idea (inside my head) of a mod based on Ultima Online.

Well, why not? It's good to see someone thinking of doing a mod based on their own creation rather than "convert" an already existing bit of history or fiction. Tell us a bit more about your world and we might be able to form an opinion.

Having just (at last) completed my own scenario, I've learned that modmaking is not particularly easy (largely because Firaxis really don't make it easy: it involves lots of editing rather unfriendly text files). But it's by no means impossible and very satisfying when you get it right and work out what's what. If you want to make a mod based on your campaign I'd recommend that you try making some little mods - for example, create a mod that is identical to the main game but with a unit added or change some artwork or something, so you can get an idea of how it all works. Then you might find that you can make your mod after all, which might be more satisfying than having someone else do it, who would inevitably deviate from your own ideas.

Anyway, any advice you might need, I can always give you a hand, and so can many others. There are lots of little bits and bobs that people have picked up along the way that Firaxis doesn't tell you (such as my own discovery: how to specify the culture points earned by sacrificing something) so it's always worth bouncing ideas around here.

I might even be able to knock a few parts of the mod together for you if necessary, although I can't promise anything as I'm horrendously busy. Naturally, it would be down to YOU to find/create the artwork and write all the text. That's the time-consuming part!

@Plotinus: OK then...give me a day or two to round up some of the basics, and I'll post it. If there's enough interest I'll continue, if not. No biggie.

I have no problem writing the text up for things like the civs, wonders, etc. but when it comes to actually modifying the file I'm afraid I may be hopelessly lost. :)

As far as units and graphics go, I was going to try and make use of what's already been created. Especially since they're way better than anything I could create.

Thanks for the feedback.

OK...here a start. I haven't looked at some of this stuff in several years so it will take me awhile to go through it and compile something useful.

Let me know what you think...

=== THE WAR for TOMIVAL ===

*This is a work in progress*

Tomival was the name of a D&D Campaign world I had created a number of years ago. The original name of the world was D'Hara but due to the series of books by Steven Goodkind I decided to change it (Tomival was originally the name of the single moon orbiting the planet.

Like many D&D worlds the various races/cultures arrived on the planet through various means; magical gates, intervention of gods/powerful beings, or natural development.

I had created maps of 4 continents: Ashtalarea, Calathas (mostly unmapped), Istria and the Dragon Realms. While these have no particular affect on any C3C mod (unless someone wanted to create a map) I'm including the info as background.

Climate is similar to earths, so using the random map generator shouldn't present any problems/conflicts.

The gods of Tomival were very active and influential in the lives of mortals so many of the wonders will probably have some sort of reference to the gods of the pantheon I had created for the campaign.

In the information below those of you similar with many of the more well known series of fantasy novels will find names that will sound familiar. It is difficult to not have authors such as Tolkein, etc. influence your creative juices.

Little of the information is concrete, I am more than open to suggestions/changes from those more experienced at creating mods.

I will try and include some background as well as mod-based information for each race/culture. Some may have to be dropped to to lack of available units.

=========
AGES/ERAS
=========
I would like to keep the 4 eras as in the epic C3C game here are the names I had in mind;

I. Age of ??? (Everything I come up with sounds goofy)
II. Age of Discovery
III. Age of Kings
IV. Age of Imperialism

==============
RACES/CULTURES
==============
Race type, Leader title & name provided where possible.

01. SEYNOREA (Human - European) - Emporer Kristoph Seynor
02. TELPERION (Elf) - King Dalamar Shiyalandriel
03. MADILIM KASAM [Dark Brotherhood] (Human) - High Priest Tarack Colinaas
04. FELINAR (Cat Folk) - Prince Thonn
05. REPTAR (Lizard/Dragon Folk) - Priest-King Nag
06. ZUR (Dwarf) - Clan Father Ruger Ironarm
07. NAYDAR (Dark Elves) - Queen Sylistra Ka'Renarde
08. MAGGOT FOLK (Orcs, Goblins, Etc) - King Gruk Elfblood
09. KHAITAN (Human - Mongol) - Open for a good name/title here
10. KAARDON [Think Acroyears from Micronauts] - Empress Varinna Vanuraak
11. LUNTIAN (Halflings) - High Sheriff Cochrane Marshfield
12. BRAYDISH (Human - African) - High Chief Umfazi
13. VILYANI (Human - Mediterranean) - Open for a good name/title here
14. MYRI* (Human) - Kel-Anth Pelazi Desai
15. DAGAT (Rat Folk) - Open for a good name/title here
16. TARHONE (Human/Elf mix) - Open for a good name/title here
17. NORDHEIM (Human - Norse) - High King Bjorn Danneskold

===========
GOVERNMENTS (under development)
===========
01. SEYNOREA - Republic
02. TELPERION - Monarchy
03. MADILIM KASAM -
04. FELINAR (Cat Folk) - Monarchy
05. REPTAR (Lizard Folk) - Theocracy
06. ZUR (Dwarf)
07. NAYDAR
08. MAGGOT FOLK - Despotism
09. KHAITAN
10. KAARDON - Monarchy
11. LUNTIAN
12. BRAYDISH
13. VILYANI
14. MYRI
15. DAGAT
16. TARHONE
17. NORDHEIM

===========
CULTURE TYPES (under development)
===========
01. SEYNOREA - Commercial/Scientific
02. TELPERION - Seafaring/Religious
03. MADILIM KASAM - Militaristic/Religious
04. FELINAR (Cat Folk) -
05. REPTAR (Lizard Folk) -
06. ZUR (Dwarf) - Commercial/Industrious
07. NAYDAR -
08. MAGGOT FOLK - Expansionist/Militaristic
09. KHAITAN -
10. KAARDON - Militaristic/Seafaring
11. LUNTIAN - Agricultural/Industrious
12. BRAYDISH -
13. VILYANI - Scientific/
14. MYRI - Religious/
15. DAGAT - Industrious/
16. TARHONE
17. NORDHEIM - Expansionist/Seafaring

Plotinus said:
[TLC] Aha, culture points for sacrificing something are equal to the number of shields required to build it.

No, culture points for sacrifice = the shields that would be obtained if it were disbanded.

Top Bottom