Vicevirtuoso's Civilizations

Poking in from the MPMPM thread again. While play-testing a bare-bones build of Wish v20, I realized something terrible is afoot in Multiplayer that hasn't been addressed by Wish in any of its iterations.

Players who desync from the host (or otherwise disconnect from the host without saving the game) will find, upon rejoining the game, that their Grief Seed usage has not been properly tallied. They will return to the game finding all of the Seeds they'd earned so far remaining in their inventory, and their Magical Girls' SG deteriorated to whatever state it'd be in without having used Grief Seeds prior to disconnect. The net result, naturally, is mass witchouts, as this does not cut both ways and "forget" whatever SG luster was lost in combat.

I pretty much torture-test the Crystal Fire pack with an Australian...let's say "patron" despite the lack of compensation...who I get ~300ms of latency with via Steam matchmaking. He insists on hosting and/or playing as Demon Homura, so he's never experienced this phenomenon himself, and claims he hasn't seen it happen to other players in previous revisions (our most frequent third is about halfway between both of us in Seattle, and I've yet to notice her pinging out).

Can Wish's calls to TableSaverLoader be modified to activate on Grief Seed usage, cache the data to Player 0 as a backup in case of a nonhost hiccup, and retransmit to the affected nonhost player when they rejoin? Too many test games have gone pear-shaped thanks to these unscheduled witchouts.

Poking in from the MPMPM thread again. While play-testing a bare-bones build of Wish v20, I realized something terrible is afoot in Multiplayer that hasn't been addressed by Wish in any of its iterations.

Players who desync from the host (or otherwise disconnect from the host without saving the game) will find, upon rejoining the game, that their Grief Seed usage has not been properly tallied. They will return to the game finding all of the Seeds they'd earned so far remaining in their inventory, and their Magical Girls' SG deteriorated to whatever state it'd be in without having used Grief Seeds prior to disconnect. The net result, naturally, is mass witchouts, as this does not cut both ways and "forget" whatever SG luster was lost in combat.

I pretty much torture-test the Crystal Fire pack with an Australian...let's say "patron" despite the lack of compensation...who I get ~300ms of latency with via Steam matchmaking. He insists on hosting and/or playing as Demon Homura, so he's never experienced this phenomenon himself, and claims he hasn't seen it happen to other players in previous revisions (our most frequent third is about halfway between both of us in Seattle, and I've yet to notice her pinging out).

Can Wish's calls to TableSaverLoader be modified to activate on Grief Seed usage, cache the data to Player 0 as a backup in case of a nonhost hiccup, and retransmit to the affected nonhost player when they rejoin? Too many test games have gone pear-shaped thanks to these unscheduled witchouts.
I can confirm this issue in testing my own modpacks with cicero.
EDIT: We have also gotten desyncs that appear to be caused by the use of the seeds. Does this match with you?

I've got an idea on how to push updates like that to all players in a network game. It would involve the use of a dummy mission whose sole purpose is to update the global table data, and use of the Game.SelectionListGameNetMessage command to provide the variable to change and the new value for the variable. Whether or not it will work, I don't know. Still haven't tried the mod in multiplayer, after all.

With what I've heard about multiplayer in the last patch, though, it would appear that you're going to get constant desyncs even without a single mod running. Could explain why it's happening now and hasn't been happening before. Still, running things through a Network call or SelectionListGameNetMessage would be good practice.

The first thing you do is put in a copy of the original UI file (or you can copy mine or whoward's), make sure its exact name is UnitPanel.lua, and set it to VFS = true -- don't put it in as an InGameUIAddin!

After that, you'll search for the comment which says "Ranged Strength" -- that's where all the different possibilities for the third line of the UnitPanel are. Basically, you'll want to add an extra elseif clause and copy one of the other sets of lines (you'll need all of the SetHide stuff to properly show it, so just copying it is the best idea here).

Other than that, I can't say specifically without knowing exactly how you want it formatted. You'll want to play around with setting the szRangedStrength, rangeStrengthStr, and rangeStrengthTT to whichever converted text keys and numbers you need.

Edit: For a much more detailed tutorial on the UI, there's a great one by -- who else? -- whoward. But that's more suited to writing your own UI element from scratch...which is something I'm gonna have to tackle soon.

I am reading it, yet I can't actually understand how to resize that, or how to make an OnClick/OnMouseOver event for it.

While playing a game with Homura and the other Puella Magi girls in it, Homura went from being friendly to neutral again at one point. I checked and saw a new red modifier there that I've never seen before. I think it was "SPECIFIC_TXT_KEY_DIPLO_STRING_3", or something like that? What does it mean?

Happens if you are playing Events & Decisions. Homura has a decision which, if either Madoka is present in the game, will give Homura an astronomical diplomatic boost with Madoka but a penalty with every other Civ, and it lowers the Influence resting point of City-States. Due to how E&D handles AI decisions, you can expect her to enact it pretty much every game. It seems that there may be an issue with updating the text info for it, though.

I figured I was done making new Civs, but lo and behold, lately I've gotten the itch to make new ones! Guess who's coming next? Hint: it's an addition to an existing series from which I've worked. Or you can just open the spoiler below!

Spoiler :

I don't know if it's an issue or not but when going through the database log I found something that goes: no such table: Civilizations_YagemStartPosition

I checked and the only thing that showed up when I searched for it was the Gilgamesh civ, it was the GilgameshYNAEMP file.

I've been going through my lua and database log for finding out what's wrong with Civ5 for me. Don't know if it's a serious problem or not but I thought I'd let you know.

I don't know if it's an issue or not but when going through the database log I found something that goes: no such table: Civilizations_YagemStartPosition

I checked and the only thing that showed up when I searched for it was the Gilgamesh civ, it was the GilgameshYNAEMP file.

I've been going through my lua and database log for finding out what's wrong with Civ5 for me. Don't know if it's a serious problem or not but I thought I'd let you know.

Sounds like the table for True Start Locations. If you don't use that mod, it will fail. You can safely ignore it otherwise.

Another possible big thing, I used the CPP Events and Decisions with the latest version of Gilgamesh and my lua log was insane in size. Like just constantly repeating the same error over and over again. I made a new game without the CPP E&D and my lua log was back to normal size.

So there are some likely gamebreaking errors when using the CPP E&D and the latest Gilgamesh, just a heads up.

Hey, posts in my thread!

As emeralis00 said, this is for use with the YNAEMP True Start Locations map. If you are not using that map, then it will simply make the relevant file crash and will have no adverse affect on the rest of the mod.

Another possible big thing, I used the CPP Events and Decisions with the latest version of Gilgamesh and my lua log was insane in size. Like just constantly repeating the same error over and over again. I made a new game without the CPP E&D and my lua log was back to normal size.

So there are some likely gamebreaking errors when using the CPP E&D and the latest Gilgamesh, just a heads up.

Does it occur with the regular version of E&D?

Ah, I didn't know. I was having these crazy problems so I started looking at anything in the database log that showed up, thanks for that.

To be honest I can't remember, it's been a while since I used the regular version and I don't think I used it with the latest Gilgamesh. When I did it was the previous version of Gil (v.8 I believe.) and I never noticed any problems showing up. I remember going all the way to the Modern Era with nothing going wrong, the games I played recently have issues in the middle of the Classical Era. I did manage to get to the Medieval Era once, but then my lua log was just...holy **** in size.

Give it a try with the normal version of E&D and see if the errors persist. I may very well have broken something with Gil's decisions when I updated him. Though I don't recall his decisions having anything to do with his UUs/UBs.

Hrmm, I didn't notice anything problem-wise. Of course I forgot to set the speed to Standard instead of the Marathon that I usually use so after waiting about half an hour and 100+ turns with no Event pop-up I just exited out.

Lua log was back to normal, 316kb instead of the MB sizes it would go to but I still got errors. I dunno, I am just really frustrated trying to figure out what is happening to my game here. It might not even be related to E&D and Gil here, I'm sorry if it isn't. Here's the lua if you want to take a look.

Attachments

• Lua.rar
    8.1 KB · Views: 161
Yeah, nothing in that log is caused by Gil. Primary issues are that Cultural Diffusion is not playing well with something you're running, and that you need to delete EUI's YieldIconManager if using it with DLL VMC or Community Patch.

So that's what is was. I followed the directions on the EUI page but I guess it might be outdated or I screwed up.

Thank you for the help, I'm sorry that I bothered you when Gilgamesh and E&D wasn't the problem.

Top Bottom