Danmacsch's (Damasc's) civilizations

The Croatianname for Ragusa is Dubrovnik. So you can do Dubrovnik soldier, or if you go full croatian "Dubrovaki ratnik".

Hope that helps.
Considered this, but then the unit will be "Ragusan Dubrovnik soldier" (or "Ragusan Dubrovacki ratnik"), which honestly sounds a little awkward. Just naming the unit "Ratnik" is also a possibility - but something more specifically related to the republic would be preferable.
But thanks for the suggestion :)

Fantastic news! I'm really glad this is coming together for you. =]

How's progress on the Nuraghi coming along?

Hopefully the Corsica update will come some time this weekend with both decision and event support.

The Nuraghi is paused for now. I've hit several walls regarding the code, and instead of bothering some of the modders well-versed in lua even more than I already am bothering them, I've put it aside and decided to focus on Ragusa.

The current design for Ragusa is as follows:
Pearl of the Adriatic
Cannot gain settlers nor annex cities. Receives a small amount of the gold and culture generated by civilizations with whom you have a Declaration of Friendship. Chopping down forests in neutral territory gives free naval unit up until the Modern Era is reached*.

Argosy (replaces Galleass)
For each promotion the Argosy has it may conduct a minor trade mission in a City-State. When reaching level 5, it can be upgraded to a Trgovac. When placed in puppeted cities, grants the ability to buy. The Argosy doesn't obsolete.

Trgovac (replaces Great Merchant)
The Trgovac has the ability to establish Trade Colonies on unimproved city-state tiles, thus creating two possible outcomes**:
1) The establishment is a failure and your influence will instantly decrease
by 30, though trade routes to the City-State yield more gold for a short period.
2) The establishment is a success and the City-State will join your empire as
a puppet city.

*Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be possible with lua. Still trying though. If I can get it to work, the idea is, that you can freely choose between all presently available naval units.
**Whether the Trade Colony is a success or not is greatly affected by
the number of Declarations of Frienship you have with other
major civilizations.
Also, if the establishment is a failure, the Trade Colony will be removed once the influence with the respective City-State has reached 0.

I'm not very satisfied with the design as it is right now, so I'm open to suggestions. My original thought was to have a UB called "Gradske Zidine" (City Walls), since they had a pretty huge importance for the prosperity of the Republic. But since I chose a one-city design, two UU's is probably better.
Also; the leader is Ivan Gundulić. Since he was more a poet and writer than a political figure(, he was involved in politics and held various offices on multiple occasions though), it would make sense to have a focus on GW generation.
But yeah, as said, I'm open to suggestions.

I have other UA idea:

pearl of the Adriatic

Receive 50% percent of the gold other civilizations receive from trade routes that pass in your territory. Receive a percentage of the GPT of friendly civs, based on how many trade routes you have to their cities. May not build settlers or annex cities.

Chopping down forests in neutral territory gives free naval unit up until the Modern Era is reached*.

If you manage to get it working somehow, it's a nice way of acquiring a naval defense force and works around not being able to purchase in puppet cities. However, acquiring a land army with only the capital may be an issue.

Argosy (replaces Galleass)
For each promotion the Argosy has it may conduct a minor trade mission in a City-State. When reaching level 5, it can be upgraded to a Trgovac. When placed in puppeted cities, grants the ability to buy. The Argosy doesn't obsolete.

Being able to upgrade the unit into a great merchant sounds quite interesting. However, being able to conduct a trade mission after each promotion kinda outclasses Portugal's Nau, even if it can't cross ocean. It's cheaper and slightly more spammable, so close coastal city states would be extremely easy to control.

Trgovac (replaces Great Merchant)
The Trgovac has the ability to establish Trade Colonies on unimproved city-state tiles, thus creating two possible outcomes**:
1) The establishment is a failure and your influence will instantly decrease
by 30, though trade routes to the City-State yield more gold for a short period.
2) The establishment is a success and the City-State will join your empire as
a puppet city.

I'd try to avoid negative outcomes, as well as chance based outcomes (though chance based outcomes are more acceptable). If you want to represent certain failures of colonization, you could perhaps include them in events.

A suggestion I have is to allow colonies to be built on any tile including resources, since city state workers like to blanket every tile before you get to 'em. Constructing a colony on a luxury or strategic resource still works the tile as if it was improved and also boosts their primary yield. Domestic trade routes to Puppetted city-states, gained by a Trgovac could also produce gold (and maybe even culture).

All that being said, the civ still looks very interesting and fun to play (gotta gobble up all those city states *evil laughter* :lol:)

I am rather spellbound, my modlist crashes as soon as i directly download Corsica, I never had that happen before and the list is fine as soon as the file is deleted. :crazyeye: wut
Actually someone reported something like that on the steam workshop, so there's evidently something wrong. Unfortunately I have no idea what causes this, as I don't have the problem myself.
I'm still trying to get the code done for the events and decision support. Before updating the mod I'll try to come up with a solution.

In the meantime, could you subscribe to the mod on steam and tell me if the same thing happens when steam gets around to download the mod.

Edit: by the way, I think I remember some people had a similar problem with some of Leugi's civs. As far as i remember, in those cases the game would CTD the first time the new mod appeared in the modlist, but afterwards there was no problems.
Maybe this would also apply in this situation.

Okay, I'll promise I will tell you if it works, if I actually manage to download it from steam, because as of right now I am already subscribed with no Corsica to be seen >< classic steam :twitch:

It's pretty weird - but yes, please let me know if you can get it to work.

----------

News
- still trying to fix the last few bugs in the Decisions support for Corsica. Both Decisions work correctly, but one of them causes some unintended notifications. They do not seem to have any effect though, but before updating, I would like to fix it so they don't pop up.
- I've added three Events, of which only one works as intended right now. There are some issues with the other two that I'm having trouble solving.

- The Ragusa design is being reworked for the 6th time I think. I would love to get more feedback/suggestions. A possible source of information is this article. The latest design is in the spoiler below.

Spoiler :
Republic of Ragusa
Leader: Nikola Vitov Gu&#269;eti&#263; (suggested by DJSHenninger as a better leader than Ivan Gunduli&#263;)
Trait: Pearl of the Adriatic:
- Cannot obtain settlers nor annex cities.
- Double the amount of trade routes.
- Free naval units from cutting down forests until the industrial era.
- Trade routes to cities of civilizations with whom you have a Declaration of Friendship provides 10% of that city's highest yield in the capital.
UU: Trgovac (replaces Settler/Great Merchant):
- Can build the Merchant House improvement.
- Can puppet City-States (like the Merchant of Venice).
Merchant House:
- If built on Ragusan territory the Merchant House functions as the regular Customs House.
- If built on City-State territory the Merchant House increases influence with the City-State by 30 and yields 50% of the City-State's GPT. All future trade routes to the City-State generates +2 influence per turn. Only one Merchant House per City-State is allowed.
UU: Argosy (replaces Galleass):
- +5% ranged attack strength for each Merchant House improvement (up to 40%).
- Generates Golden Age points when ending it's turn within territory of civilizations with whom you have a Declaration of Friendship.
- Upgradable to Trgovac when inside City-State territory for 1000 Gold (scaled by Game Speed).

As said, feedback/suggestions are more than welcome(!). I would like to keep the uniques as simple as possible. The design is thought to be Venice-like, but with a more pronounced incentive to stay friends with other civilizations.

I don't know if it's intentional, but you've kind of accidentally made a Venice-style OCC Civ... that replaces exactly the same units as Venice does, with at least one that does almost exactly the same thing as the Venetian replacement does. Not a criticism, just an observation. =]

I like the Argosy a lot, because I like units that get stronger over time. Does it keep the bonus from Merchant Houses when upgrading to Frigates? Because that might be really useful if you can spam them out a bit. However, I'm a little worried it might draw from your Great People pool when you upgrade them, and that nerfs your science output hard, always an issue with a one-city Civ. Any clarifications greatly appreciated.

I don't know if it's intentional, but you've kind of accidentally made a Venice-style OCC Civ... that replaces exactly the same units as Venice does, with at least one that does almost exactly the same thing as the Venetian replacement does.

I know, yes. (Unfortunately) making the Argosy anything else than a Galleass replacement would be wrong IMO - hopefully it's distinct enough from the Venetian Great Galleass :)
Regarding the Trgovac I would very much like to replace that with something else - preferably a unit with some kind of diplomatic and trade oriented feature. I just haven't been able to come up with such a unit besides the present one.
(AFAIK) historically many merchants from the republic also functioned as diplomats especially within the Ottoman empire, Austria and England, thus ensuring the republic's peace. So if this could somehow be captured in the unit..

I like the Argosy a lot, because I like units that get stronger over time. Does it keep the bonus from Merchant Houses when upgrading to Frigates?
That's the idea. This combined with the free-naval-unit-upon-cutting-down-forests-trait (still haven't be able to get this to work though) could help you create a huge navy with some pretty bad-ass ships.
However, I'm a little worried it might draw from your Great People pool when you upgrade them, and that nerfs your science output hard, always an issue with a one-city Civ. Any clarifications greatly appreciated.
Ideally it wouldn't and I don't think it should be any problem code-wise. tbh I hadn't given it too much thought :sad:. Part of the trait is that for each trade route to a city owned by a civilization you have a DoF with you get some percentage of the highest yield in the respective city. If that yield is science, it might compensate a bit, though probably not enough.

Here are some ideas for rebalancing, focused on what you're talking about.

Ragusa (Nikola Vitov Gucetic)
Start Bias: Coastal
UA: Pearl Of The Adriatic
Cannot build Settlers or annex Cities. +1% :c5production: Naval Unit Production bonus every time you chop down a Forest, clear a Marsh, or connect a new Luxury Resource to your Trade Network. International Sea Trade Routes generate +100% yields, rising to +150% if you have a Declaration of Friendship and Open Borders or if it is sent to a Friendly or Allied City-State.
UU: Trgovac (replaces Great Merchant/Settler)
Can be used for a Trade Mission. Additionally, may be used to Puppet a City-State or to create a unique Merchant House improvement. Within Ragusan territory, this has the same yields as a Customs House when built on normal terrain; however, if it is built on a Luxury Resource (not including Sea Resources), it connects the Resource, doubles the yields of the Tile and adds +2 :c5gold: Gold. When constructed in City-State territory, generates +10 :c5gold: Gold, +10 :c5science: Science, and +5 Influence per turn as long as you are sending a Trade Route to that City-State. Max. one per City-State. :c5gold: Gold yields of Merchant Houses are increased after researching Economics, and the primary Yield for the purposes of New Deal is considered to be :c5gold: Gold.
UU: Argosy (replaces Galleass)
+1 :c5moves: Movement. Gains a unique promotion, "Sword of the Rector", that grants a +5% :c5rangedstrength: Ranged Combat Bonus for each Merchant House in City-State territory. Generates :c5gold: Gold and :c5greatperson: Trgovac points per kill. May be upgraded to a Trgovac in the territory of an Allied City-State for a large amount of :c5gold: Gold.
---
This build focuses on getting friendly with City-States as well as taking them over with the Trgovac. I'm fairly certain the new iteration of the UA is a bit more viable, though I'm not sure. The Argosy's been changed the most, but that's just to make it synergise a bit more with the emphasis on Trgovacs. The Merchant House has also been spiced up to make it that bit better when you haven't got too many nearby City-States - park one of these bad boys on a copy of Salt or Gems and watch yourself become a happy li'l clam. =]

Thanks for the suggestions Scapegrace. Very useful.

Would anyone be so kind as to suggest a war theme? I can't really find anything.
Also, the Trgovac customs house (called Trade Colony from now on) is just using the same graphics as the regular customs house. If anyone would be up for making a unique one, as well as one of those fancy improvement icons, that'd be great.
Graphics for the Trgovac itself is also needed :D

The leader scene is about done - will post it once I get home.

This is very powerful civ idea...

This is very powerful civ idea...
Well hopefully. The design isn't precisely as in Scapegrace's post, but close. Don't think it's too OP though.

Ah, if you're looking for war music I have something right here actually. A long while back, I combined two versions of the Snowy Mountains track from the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 OST.
I essentially just combined the regular version of the track with the 'Edit' version of the track, they were too short on their own.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure if you'd want to use it since it's a track from an EA published game, and I'm not 100% certain about how strict they are with music :/

Attachments

• BFBC2 - Snowy Mountains (Edit+Original).zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 489
It's really good. I like it a lot. Thanks :D
Don't know how well it'll fit with the peace music I've found; maybe I'll look for a new one.

About the whole EA thing; as far as I know it won't be a problem (not completely sure though).

Happy new year to everyone.
Here's a little update on how things a going.

Ragusa will be out next.
It'll feature a unique improvement (with at least two different graphics depending on where it is built), a map by Kerfuffle (who recently did a great Squamish map), great music and lots of other stuff. Also, it'll be a one city civ in an even more true sense than Venice.

Besides Ragusa, I've continued work on The Nuragic. The design has be reworked a lot and everything is going a lot smoother than with the original design.

That's pretty much it. You can expect to see a lot more from me in 2015.

Top Bottom