BouncyMischa's Civilizations

I played a game with Human Village earlier today and I really enjoyed it. All the unique components were intriguing and were mostly very well balanced.

Getting a free worker from building a watermill felt satisfying and got me to change my usual build order in some cases. This effect is also rare enough to not unbalance the game. Getting free food from pastures and plantations is also a very nice bonus. It, however, feels a little bit too powerful to get extra food from both those improvments.

Village shop is very nice upgrade over the regular market. The effect is strong enough to feel significant without going overboard. Also since the bonus is dependant on the city's surroundings it made me think more about my city placements.

Lastly, I really liked Youkai Hunters. I love ranged units and units that ignore terrain costs: combining them is brilliant:). They were pretty powerful but not too bad in general, since in situations where the ability to ignore terrain costs was most significant they also had troubles to find places where to shoot over terrain obstacles. This kept them from being totally overpowered. Also it's nice to get better Gatling Guns on upgrade.

Overall, very nice job on this one:goodjob:. I gotta check your other work at some point.

I played a game with Human Village earlier today and I really enjoyed it. All the unique components were intriguing and were mostly very well balanced.

Getting a free worker from building a watermill felt satisfying and got me to change my usual build order in some cases. This effect is also rare enough to not unbalance the game. Getting free food from pastures and plantations is also a very nice bonus. It, however, feels a little bit too powerful to get extra food from both those improvments.

Village shop is very nice upgrade over the regular market. The effect is strong enough to feel significant without going overboard. Also since the bonus is dependant on the city's surroundings it made me think more about my city placements.

Lastly, I really liked Youkai Hunters. I love ranged units and units that ignore terrain costs: combining them is brilliant:). They were pretty powerful but not too bad in general, since in situations where the ability to ignore terrain costs was most significant they also had troubles to find places where to shoot over terrain obstacles. This kept them from being totally overpowered. Also it's nice to get better Gatling Guns on upgrade.

Overall, very nice job on this one:goodjob:. I gotta check your other work at some point.

Thanks for the feedback! :D It's actually rather interesting timing, because I've just been working on updating the Human Village. A number of the changes are cosmetic (toning down the eye-searing green in the colors, improving the icons, and adding proper alpha icons for the civ), while I'm also adding compatibility with other mods (including Events and Decisions). However, I've made a couple of tweaks to the UA, although in the light of your feedback I'm wondering if I should make further adjustments.

One suggestion I've received was to switch the Plantations bonus from +1 Food to +1 Gold, which may actually work fairly well. Most Plantation resources are Luxuries, meaning they don't benefit from the Village Shop, and it makes more sense for them to be financially lucrative than providing extra food.

The other part of the UA I'm mulling over is making it so that you can receive the free Worker from completing either a Water Mill, or an Aqueduct, so that cities that aren't built on rivers aren't quite so penalized. But this interacts with the Tradition policy that gives out free Aqueducts, so I'm still debating whether it's too strong of a bonus.

If you'd like to give any feedback on those two ideas, I'd appreciate it. The update will probably be up within a week.

So... you have civs not posted here?
Also, I told you everyone likes your ideas. I don't even like fantasy civs...

Thanks for the feedback! :D It's actually rather interesting timing, because I've just been working on updating the Human Village. A number of the changes are cosmetic (toning down the eye-searing green in the colors, improving the icons, and adding proper alpha icons for the civ), while I'm also adding compatibility with other mods (including Events and Decisions). However, I've made a couple of tweaks to the UA, although in the light of your feedback I'm wondering if I should make further adjustments.

One suggestion I've received was to switch the Plantations bonus from +1 Food to +1 Gold, which may actually work fairly well. Most Plantation resources are Luxuries, meaning they don't benefit from the Village Shop, and it makes more sense for them to be financially lucrative than providing extra food.

The other part of the UA I'm mulling over is making it so that you can receive the free Worker from completing either a Water Mill, or an Aqueduct, so that cities that aren't built on rivers aren't quite so penalized. But this interacts with the Tradition policy that gives out free Aqueducts, so I'm still debating whether it's too strong of a bonus.

If you'd like to give any feedback on those two ideas, I'd appreciate it. The update will probably be up within a week.

No problem, it really should be me thanking you for making these civs. So, thanks:).

Switching the bonus from Food to Gold for plantations makes sense, for reasons you already listed.

I really don't like the idea of giving free Workers for Aqueduct. Firstly, like you said, it would probably be too powerful when combined with Tradition finisher (and Tradition doesn't really need extra help).

Secondly the reason I find this part of the UA balanced is that it's somewhat situational. The UA already has an almost always active component of boosting Pastures and Plantations. Even though it is also somewhat situational, it is not really that rare to find pasture or plantation resources. Therefore you almost always benefit from it. If the UA gave a free worker for making a building you can build anywhere, it could very easily become too powerful and save too much hammers in the long run.

Lastly, right now it feels satisfying to get that free worker for building somewhat rare and hard to get building. If you could get those free workers easier, it probably would feel less good to get them.

As for the cosmetic changes, I really didn't have any issues with the current color scheme. Then again, I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice about these things:lol:.

Hope this helps, and good luck with future development.

No problem, it really should be me thanking you for making these civs. So, thanks:).

Switching the bonus from Food to Gold for plantations makes sense, for reasons you already listed.

I really don't like the idea of giving free Workers for Aqueduct. Firstly, like you said, it would probably be too powerful when combined with Tradition finisher (and Tradition doesn't really need extra help).

Secondly the reason I find this part of the UA balanced is that it's somewhat situational. The UA already has an almost always active component of boosting Pastures and Plantations. Even though it is also somewhat situational, it is not really that rare to find pasture or plantation resources. Therefore you almost always benefit from it. If the UA gave a free worker for making a building you can build anywhere, it could very easily become too powerful and save too much hammers in the long run.

Lastly, right now it feels satisfying to get that free worker for building somewhat rare and hard to get building. If you could get those free workers easier, it probably would feel less good to get them.

As for the cosmetic changes, I really didn't have any issues with the current color scheme. Then again, I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice about these things:lol:.

Hope this helps, and good luck with future development.

Still, I appreciate that people like and enjoy my civs! :D

You make a really good argument there. After thinking it over (and talking about it with a couple of people), I think I will keep the Worker effect as it was. I've modified the Plantations to yield Gold, though.

As for the color issue, I found the bright green just too hard to read against the beige/white background. It's now a darker green that's more legible and easier on my eyes. X3

So... you have civs not posted here?
Also, I told you everyone likes your ideas. I don't even like fantasy civs...

I've got a few older civs that I've been working at updating, so I've been posting them here as they get updated. I'm hoping to get them all done by the end of the month, so I can get back to making new civs...

Speaking of new civs, updated the Forest of Magic!

Forest of Magic Events and Decisions

Decisions:

Spoiler :

Events:

Spoiler :

To explain Mushroom Patches more: upon founding a city, either 2 or 3 Mushroom Patches will be revealed within three tiles of the city. Every 30 turns after a city is founded, a new Mushroom Patch will be revealed, to a maximum of 5 Mushroom Patches within the three tile radius of the city. The location and type of the Mushroom Patches is randomized -- Mushroom Patches are most likely to appear in Forest, Jungle, or Marsh, but may appear in Plains and Grasslands tiles. They will not appear in Desert, Tundra, or Snow tiles. Mushroom Patches are improvements, and thus can be pillaged, and any other improvement built upon that tile will remove them. They come in three different types -- red, yellow, and blue -- which generate 1 Food, Production, or Science, respectively. With the discovery of Metal Casting and Fertilizer, these yields will be improved. However, only the Forest of Magic receives these yields, and other civs capturing a city with Mushroom Patches will not gain any benefit from them. Mushroom Patches also have a weaker version of the Citadel's damaging effect, causing 10 damage to an enemy unit ending its turn on top of or adjacent to their tile.

Got around trying Tanuki and Moriya Shrine. Both offered entertaining games, although Moriya felt a little bit too powerful.

Tanuki's UA was fun to use and offered a nice bonus for early game economy and also gives nice intel for early wars. Earlier tech stealing wasn't nearly as huge deal as I was worried beforehand, although I played on Emperor; don't know how much it affects the game on higher difficulties. On Emperor it gave some cheaper techs but wasn't really gamebreaking.

+2 global happiness by Classical and +4 by Medieval might be a little too much when combined with the gold those spies also offer, but it is still not really gamebreaking bonus. The nice thing about this UA is that it scales on it's own to later stages to the game when bigger cities give more money for spies. Overall a really nice UA.

Their unique scout is very handy and makes early scouting much easier. It is also nice that when you are done with scouting, you can also get a little extra gold from their unique action before deleteing them. Really, a modest but very convenient unit.

Their bank replacement is also pretty nifty with a small boost to happiness and extra income from trade routes.

Overall a nice civ with many small, convenient bonuses which when combined feel satisfying to use:).

As a side note, though: this civ seems to mess up unit command panel when using Enhanced User Interface:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Not a huge deal, just letting you know.

Moriya Shrine, on the other hand, has very real potential to be pretty overpowered, provided you manage to get your Faith production high enough.

Their UA is pretty interesting. Getting Faith for discovering technologies is really strong, perhaps a little bit too so. It honestly felt like a better version of Celts, since both get faith easier in early game, Moriya just gets more Faith for less effort than Celts. This trivializes the early religion raze.

Getting 1 science for every 2 faith is also really interesting. It can get a little bit out of hand in early game if you manage to get good faith pantheon (I manged to get +2 Faith from Gems and Pearls with 4 Gems near my capital) but in most situations is should give reasonable bonus. In later game it might get out of hand again, depending how much Faith you can produce. I got to +120 faith per turn by Industrial Era, and my tech progression honestly felt to be too fast compared to normal.

I really like the fact that you get Science and Faith from mountains that are inside cities' borders. This makes those tiles less useless and might encourage players to find cities in unusual places.

Overall this UA is interesting and in most situation it's probably reasonable, but it has real potential to get out of control.

Yamato Swordman has interesting promotion, but it also feels to be a little bit too good. If I understood correctly, it maxes out at +6 strenght at 24 Faith per turn (not that hard to get). +6 strenght feels to be too much, ecspecially since this promotion also transfers to upgraded units. This pretty much lets them dominate all melee combat after Iron Working, provided that they can keep them alive.

I honestly think that this bonus should be smaller, maybe max +3 or 4. Right now it just makes Moriya Shrine too good at combat.

Taisha is very intriguing, since it doesn't give any faith on its own, just from religion followers in the city. I don't if this was intented since their Workshop page says that it should get also Temple's normal bonuses, but right now it has very good mechanic: it is totally useless on its own, but has potential being much better than the normal Temple if Moriya's religion is spread efficently enough. This makes it interesting and also gives a small risk element. Overall this makes Taisha more intersting to use.

I don't know if this is supposed to be included with this civ since there is no mention of it on the Workshop, but Moriya also has unique Grand Temple (named Moriya Shrine). Honestly it's Science bonuses (+4 Science, +25% Science) feel a little bit too good wen combined with Moriya's other science boosts and also causes them to have more unique components than other civs. This honestly helps to make them too strong when compared to other civs.

This unique Grand Temple also apparently boosts buildings called Onbashira. I have no real idea what they are since I couldn't make them, but based on Civilopedia searching I guess they have something to do with Events and Decisions.

All in all, both of these civs have very intersting ideas in them. Tanuki has many small bonuses that together make a very interesting and to use package. Moriya Shrine also has many interesting ideas: making a civ stronger based on its Faith production is an unique and fun mechanic to use. Right now, however, their bonuses seem to be too big, ecspecially if they manage to get big amounts of Faith production. They probably would become more enjoyable if their bonuses where cut somewhat.

Got around trying Tanuki and Moriya Shrine. Both offered entertaining games, although Moriya felt a little bit too powerful.

Thanks again for the feedback! :D

As a side note, though: this civ seems to mess up unit command panel when using Enhanced User Interface:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Not a huge deal, just letting you know.

One of the annoying things about Civ V is that it doesn't let you add custom missions, so I had to get around that by modifying UnitPanel.lua to show the custom mission button. But since EUI probably modifies that file as well, I suspect the two end up in conflict.

Moriya Shrine, on the other hand, has very real potential to be pretty overpowered, provided you manage to get your Faith production high enough.

I just updated the Moriya Shrine, actually, so you're one of the first people to try out the "revised" version. At least, that I've heard from. X3

Their UA is pretty interesting. Getting Faith for discovering technologies is really strong, perhaps a little bit too so. It honestly felt like a better version of Celts, since both get faith easier in early game, Moriya just gets more Faith for less effort than Celts. This trivializes the early religion raze.

The faith-from-technologies is actually a new element I added to the UA. One of the main issues I encountered before was that the Moriya Shrine can actually struggle to get a pantheon -- I've had some games where the AI failed to manage to found a religion in time. Some of the feedback I'd gotten suggested they do well once they get their faith going (particularly with the Taisha), but need a little help getting to that point. So I added in the "faith from technology" component to help with the early game a bit.

I'm not entirely sure how problematic it is -- the faith yield from researching Pottery, for example, is only 3 Faith. Since it usually takes me at least 6 turns to research it, it was a bonus of only 1/2 Faith per turn -- less than the Celts get if they start near a Forest. In my test games, as the game went on, the Faith bonus from a technology was usually only about as much faith as I was making in a single turn, so it didn't feel like too significant of a bonus. But then, given the number of techs that get researched, all those "extra turns" of faith could add up.

It's an element I'd prefer to keep in the UA, but the way it's set up, it'd be fairly easy to have it scale down as eras increase, making later faith bonuses much more marginal and hopefully mitigating some of the impact.

Getting 1 science for every 2 faith is also really interesting. It can get a little bit out of hand in early game if you manage to get good faith pantheon (I manged to get +2 Faith from Gems and Pearls with 4 Gems near my capital) but in most situations is should give reasonable bonus. In later game it might get out of hand again, depending how much Faith you can produce. I got to +120 faith per turn by Industrial Era, and my tech progression honestly felt to be too fast compared to normal.

Science civs are always a bit hard to do. On one hand, the argument could be made that people just shouldn't make science civs -- I've heard some people argue that Babylon is bad for the game because of its science bonuses. On the other hand, there are times I like the idea of playing a civ that's leapt ahead of everyone else in the tech race and is using lasers against their muskets. I suppose it's just a problem inherent in the entire structure of the game, because science affects everything, and once you get ahead in science you just start winning.

Still, I like science civs, so... X3

As for the Moriya Shrine... the "1 Science per 2 Faith" is rather nice and elegant, so I'm not quite sure how I could tweak it. The way it's coded, it does benefit from bonuses in the cities (such as the University) that increase Science, so that might be one of the reasons it gets a bit excessive. I'll have to keep an eye on my science levels in my games...

Yamato Swordman has interesting promotion, but it also feels to be a little bit too good. If I understood correctly, it maxes out at +6 strenght at 24 Faith per turn (not that hard to get). +6 strenght feels to be too much, ecspecially since this promotion also transfers to upgraded units. This pretty much lets them dominate all melee combat after Iron Working, provided that they can keep them alive.

I honestly think that this bonus should be smaller, maybe max +3 or 4. Right now it just makes Moriya Shrine too good at combat.

Well, I know some people really like the UU. X3 At one point I think I had it as a base power 12, with the +6 bonus to bring it up to 18 max. So I could consider scaling it back to a max of +4...

Taisha is very intriguing, since it doesn't give any faith on its own, just from religion followers in the city. I don't if this was intented since their Workshop page says that it should get also Temple's normal bonuses, but right now it has very good mechanic: it is totally useless on its own, but has potential being much better than the normal Temple if Moriya's religion is spread efficently enough. This makes it interesting and also gives a small risk element. Overall this makes Taisha more intersting to use.

Ahhh, the original Taisha had the +2 Faith from the Temple, as well as the bonus Faith, but some people were concerned it was excessive. So I adjusted it to the current version, but probably didn't update the text on the Workshop page to account for it.

I don't know if this is supposed to be included with this civ since there is no mention of it on the Workshop, but Moriya also has unique Grand Temple (named Moriya Shrine). Honestly it's Science bonuses (+4 Science, +25% Science) feel a little bit too good wen combined with Moriya's other science boosts and also causes them to have more unique components than other civs. This honestly helps to make them too strong when compared to other civs.

The Grand Temple replacement was kind of an extra thing I threw in (particularly since it ties into one of the civ's Decisions)... but I have a minor compulsion to give a unique replacement something extra compared to the vanilla equivalent. In this case, though, the science bonuses might be too excessive. I could just leave it as a cosmetically different Grand Temple, or find a more minor bonus that wouldn't be quite so powerful.

This unique Grand Temple also apparently boosts buildings called Onbashira. I have no real idea what they are since I couldn't make them, but based on Civilopedia searching I guess they have something to do with Events and Decisions.

The Onbashira is a building that you can build in a city after you get the Onbashira Festival event there. They normally provide +1 Faith and +1 Culture, but the Moriya Shrine increases that to +2 Faith and +2 Culture. Since the Onbashira Festival is a random event, it's hard to say if that's too powerful or not... <.<

All in all, both of these civs have very intersting ideas in them. Tanuki has many small bonuses that together make a very interesting and to use package. Moriya Shrine also has many interesting ideas: making a civ stronger based on its Faith production is an unique and fun mechanic to use. Right now, however, their bonuses seem to be too big, ecspecially if they manage to get big amounts of Faith production. They probably would become more enjoyable if their bonuses where cut somewhat.

Thanks again for the feedback! Sorry if I rambled a bit much in my replies...

One of the annoying things about Civ V is that it doesn't let you add custom missions, so I had to get around that by modifying UnitPanel.lua to show the custom mission button. But since EUI probably modifies that file as well, I suspect the two end up in conflict.

Yeah, I figured there was something like this going on. But again, it's not a huge deal: it doesn't make Tanuki unplayable in any way and it would be totally unreasonable to expect modders to take all possible conflicts into account.

The faith-from-technologies is actually a new element I added to the UA. One of the main issues I encountered before was that the Moriya Shrine can actually struggle to get a pantheon -- I've had some games where the AI failed to manage to found a religion in time. Some of the feedback I'd gotten suggested they do well once they get their faith going (particularly with the Taisha), but need a little help getting to that point. So I added in the "faith from technology" component to help with the early game a bit.

I'm not entirely sure how problematic it is -- the faith yield from researching Pottery, for example, is only 3 Faith. Since it usually takes me at least 6 turns to research it, it was a bonus of only 1/2 Faith per turn -- less than the Celts get if they start near a Forest. In my test games, as the game went on, the Faith bonus from a technology was usually only about as much faith as I was making in a single turn, so it didn't feel like too significant of a bonus. But then, given the number of techs that get researched, all those "extra turns" of faith could add up.

It's an element I'd prefer to keep in the UA, but the way it's set up, it'd be fairly easy to have it scale down as eras increase, making later faith bonuses much more marginal and hopefully mitigating some of the impact.

I actually tested it myself after reading your message and sure enough, it isn't really that huge of a deal in early game. Celts indeed are still much faster in early Faith generation. I also realized that in my game I had a mountain in my capital, so I was actually making one Faith per turn from it. This probably made the issue look more severe than it actually is. So... sorry, my bad:blush:.

Still, like you said, the extra Faith does accumulate in the long run and makes faith-buying much stronger in later game. So it would probably be for the better to lower the amount of faith generated from techs, maybe even make some kind of fixed value, like 3 Faith per tech. Then it would still help them found a religion (which I admit this civ really needs to be viable) but wouldn't snowball as the game progresses.

Science civs are always a bit hard to do. On one hand, the argument could be made that people just shouldn't make science civs -- I've heard some people argue that Babylon is bad for the game because of its science bonuses. On the other hand, there are times I like the idea of playing a civ that's leapt ahead of everyone else in the tech race and is using lasers against their muskets. I suppose it's just a problem inherent in the entire structure of the game, because science affects everything, and once you get ahead in science you just start winning.

Still, I like science civs, so... X3

As for the Moriya Shrine... the "1 Science per 2 Faith" is rather nice and elegant, so I'm not quite sure how I could tweak it. The way it's coded, it does benefit from bonuses in the cities (such as the University) that increase Science, so that might be one of the reasons it gets a bit excessive. I'll have to keep an eye on my science levels in my games...

I'll be honest, I am on the camp that thinks that science civs are bad for the game. I also prefer things to be as balanced as possible and always think when I try some new game element, modded or not, "How balanced is this? How could its balance be made better?" So I admit I might not really be this civ's target audience anyway.

Still, I understand that there are many ways to approach this game and that civs whose power is above average have their place in the game. After all, if everything was perfectly balanced, it could just as well lead to really stale game where nothing really happens and everything expect perfectly optimal play would lead to inevitable loss. So even these kind of civs that people might consider overpowered have their role.

However, too big bonuses might still make any civ feel boring, just like too weak civ might feel boring and frustrating. I strongly recommend you to test this civ more and determine how you feel with their current power level. After all, there is nothing fundamentally bad with its design and its bonuses are truly interesting and unique.

If you could make the Faith-generated Science to be unaffected by multipliers it could make make this UA more balanced without really touching the basic idea of gaining Science from Faith. I admit I have no idea how difficult this could be but if possible, it could be worth at least a try.

Well, I know some people really like the UU. X3 At one point I think I had it as a base power 12, with the +6 bonus to bring it up to 18 max. So I could consider scaling it back to a max of +4...

I strongly recommend to scale this bonus back. Like you suggested, around +4 would probably be good. It would still keep this bonus interesting and reward good Faith production without totally unbalancing combat.

Frankly, right now this bonus lets Moriya to dominate melee combat after Iron Working, since with +6 strength their melee units are almost as strong as their subsequent replacements all the way up to Riflemen. Then strength difference between them and Great War Infantry finally starts to be significant enough to make this combat bonus less meaningful. And even then, between technologically equal opponents this combat bonus is simply huge.

Ahhh, the original Taisha had the +2 Faith from the Temple, as well as the bonus Faith, but some people were concerned it was excessive. So I adjusted it to the current version, but probably didn't update the text on the Workshop page to account for it.

Hehe, yeah I figured it was intentional. I just decided to play it safe since sometimes people make weird mistakes that totally change their original idea.

The Grand Temple replacement was kind of an extra thing I threw in (particularly since it ties into one of the civ's Decisions)... but I have a minor compulsion to give a unique replacement something extra compared to the vanilla equivalent. In this case, though, the science bonuses might be too excessive. I could just leave it as a cosmetically different Grand Temple, or find a more minor bonus that wouldn't be quite so powerful.

If you want to keep all other bonuses intact, you probably could try to just remove all the science bonuses from this UB. After all, it's kind of a bonus. Who knows, maybe it is enough to make this civ more balanced.

The Onbashira is a building that you can build in a city after you get the Onbashira Festival event there. They normally provide +1 Faith and +1 Culture, but the Moriya Shrine increases that to +2 Faith and +2 Culture. Since the Onbashira Festival is a random event, it's hard to say if that's too powerful or not... <.<

I don't have any experience with events, so no real comment on this one.

Thanks again for the feedback! Sorry if I rambled a bit much in my replies...

You are welcome:). Good luck with your future projects.

You are welcome:). Good luck with your future projects.

Thanks again for the feedback -- after getting some other people to playtest it a bit, I'm going to see what I can do to make some of the suggested changes.

In the meantime, I've updated the Human Village. The changes aren't particularly significant, mostly upgrades to the icons (including adding in the missing alpha icon atlas), as well as the slight change to the UA I'd discussed before. I've also added in events and decisions!

Ningen no Sato (Human Village) Events and Decisions

Decisions:

Spoiler :

Events:

Spoiler :

The "Encourage the [Resource] Trade" decision was based heavily upon a similar decision in the Cree civilization, although I was able to extend it to cover bonus resources as well as luxury resources.

Can you add CulDiv support?
(Also: are the oni clans based on oni demons?)

Can you add CulDiv support?
(Also: are the oni clans based on oni demons?)

Yes, the Oni Clans are based (somewhat loosely) on the 'oni' from Japanese mythology, demon-like creatures that had something of a reputation for kidnapping people (and probably eating them).

As for CulDiv support, I have debated simply tossing my civs into the Oriental category, since Gensokyo is pretty much connected to Japan. Some of the civs, such as the Evil Spirits or Forest of Magic, could arguably fall into other culture groups (possibly European?) in terms of theme. But at one point in the past, I brought up the idea of custom CulDiv groups with JFD, and he included a tutorial as to how one would add a custom CulDiv group using "Touhou" as a theme, so I've always felt I should give a shot at making a unique Touhou CulDiv group instead to put all of my civs in. There is a huge amount of music to try and make a soundtrack of, and it'd be a way to incorporate the theme songs from the less prominent characters. (There's a fantastic orchestral arrange for Mystia's 'Deaf to All But the Song' that wouldn't get used in a civ because she's such a minor character, for example, but would be great for a soundtrack.) There's also a variety of artwork I've been able to collect that might be quite useful for splash screens, if I could sort out exactly how I'd want to organize it. So there's enough material around to make a unique CulDiv group for Touhou civs -- I just need to find some time to actually get around to it.

Since I just started up a new temp position that's eating up a huge amount of time, though, my modding efforts will likely slow down for the near future. I've still got one civ that's ready for final playtesting before I release it, and a couple more that are in the progress of updating, but... well, we'll see how my free time goes. :p

Well, I think it's been cluttering up the Civ requests thread long enough; Mischa and I are working on a Dr. Wily Civ! Expect some posts about it here as we continue to iron out details.

Yeah, I suppose it was a lucky coincidence that Xanatos posted his ideas right at a time when I was feeling both psyched up about the Mega Man game and considering starting up a new civ project. :p

For those who haven't seen the discussion in the requests thread, here's some of the art for it so far!

Some more leader interaction dialogue for Wily:

Having War Declared Upon Him: So, it's a fight you want, eh? Then it's a fight you'll get! Get me my Wily Machine!

Warning against getting close to another Civ: I hope you're not planning on getting too cozy with (insert civ here), they've been nothing but trouble for me.

Upon catching a spy: Did you really think you could steal from me? Ha! I'm far too smart for that. Well? What do you have to say for yourself?!

Warning against attempting to win over a City State under his sway: So, trying to win (city state)'s favor, eh? Well I was here first! I suggest you back off.

Proposing a Team-Up against another Civ: (Civ Name) is going to ruin everything we've been working for! We should pool our resources and attack! Are you in?

If you respond to the above by requesting 10 turns to prepare: Ah, yes, good. I see you, too, value preparation. Get poised for the attack, and I'll let you know when it's time.

Greeting (Eggman)*: Well, well! What do we have here? A fellow roboticist? Perhaps we could be of use to one another, swap robot schematics and all that? ...Hmm, odd. I have a strange sense of deja vu...

Denouncing you: You've done nothing but muck up my plans! I've made sure the rest of the world knows what a nuisance you are.

Insulting your army: I don't think I'm the only one who thinks your military is a joke. You may as well be throwing rocks!

Upon bullying a City State under your protection: So much for that 'protection' you were offering, eh? This is but a taste of how helpless you are against me.

Noticing a foreign religion taking hold in his country: It's come to my attention you've been spreading that sensationalist hokum you call a religion to my cities. I sorely hope you have enough sense to stop before this gets ugly.

Noticing you've settled a city very close to one of his: That new city you've settled is awfully close to mine. You'd best not be thinking of trying something.

Upon Backstabbing you: You've been quite a help in furthering my plans, but I'm afraid your usefulness to me is at an end. Surrender now, and maybe you can get out of this with only a few casualties.

Upon another civ's culture eclipsing his own: Everywhere I look, people are using your cheap junk. To think they would prefer it over my own designs! Feh!

Hate Hello: You?! What are you doing here?! Before you speak, let me remind you there are mechanized security measures in place all throughout this castle. Now, what is it?

Neutral Hello: Oh, it's you again. Ugh. What is it now?

Noticing you're friends with a civ he's also friends with: So, you see the value of a partnership with (civ name) as well. Perhaps you're not as thick as you look. Maybe we could help each other out after all.

Noticing you've denounced a civ he's also denounced: Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees through (civ name)'s ploys. We'd do well to watch each other's backs around them.

Commenting further on your joint denouncement: It's good we're on the same page about (civ name), maybe our combined denouncements will get him to stop being so insufferable.

Asking for an Embassy: So, what's your evil lair like? Tell you what: You show me yours, I'll show you mine...eventually.

Asking for Open Borders: I think we both stand to benefit from being able to cross through each other's territory. What do you say?

Upon being caught spying: Oh, uh, heh. Hey there! I'm guessing you're here about that spy...

Being asked to stop spying: Oh, of course! I wouldn't dream of doing it again! Eheheh, eehhhh...

Asking to be forgiven for spying: You're not still sore about that whole 'spy' thing are you? I assure you, I knew nothing of his trying to steal your secrets! Let the blame rest with them; I'd hate for this to come between us.

If forgiven: Oh thank goodness. Now we can leave this whole mess behind us, and I can start building a replcemeeee-er, I mean recruiting proper diplomats! Yes, of course!

If not: Eurgh, well drat.

Insulting the size of your empire: Awfully tiny over there! What, were you going for some sort of 'minimalist' approach? Hah!

Complementing your economy: My, my! The cash just rolls in over in your country! Care to share a financial tip or two?

Complementing you army: Your forces are vast indeed! I'd certainly hate to go up against you...

Greeting (Brazil): Greetings, my name i-wait...it can't be! I...oh, no, you're not him. My apologies, you...reminded me of someone else. Hopefully that trend doesn't continue. I am Albert Wily. What brings you to my Castle?

*Yes, this can actually be done. I know of at least one mod on the Steam Workshop you could look at the coding of to get an idea of how to do it if you need to.

Oh, also, looking at the Wily Tower thing you made again, the bottom corners have a few stray pixels around them. Might want to clean those up.

EDIT: Rather than making a bunch on new posts with more dialogue, I think I'm just going to continually add to this one. Stay tuned.

Gonna start writing up some of the other text-based components of the civ.

Civlopedia Entry:

Dr. Albert Wily

Genius Roboticist

Game Info: Mass Production - When producing Combat Units, :c5production: Production cost is decreased by 3% for each of that given unit currently on the field. (Up to 15%) [It's also planned for their to be a small :c5science: Science bonus in addition to this]

Overview: Dr. Albert Wily is the main antagonist of the Mega Man series of video games produced by Capcom. A Typical 'Mad Scientist', Wily is obsessed with getting the world to recognize his genius.

Over the years, Wily has produced dozens of 'Robot Masters' in his efforts to conquer the world and establish his superiority. The first 8 Robot Masters, however, were a joint effort between Wily and one Thomas Light, intended to aid humanity in dangerous tasks such as construction, electrical repairs, and rescues in below-zero temperatures. Unfortunately, Wily's ego complex led him to mistake Light protecting him from potential legal action due to his license in robotics being revoked for Light attempting to steal the spotlight from him. As a result, Wily, in his anger, sabotaged the Robot Masters, using them to attack the city in an attempt to gain the recognition he felt he deserved. Building the first of what would prove to be several Castle Fortresses with the visage of a skull adorning it's front to serve as a base.

However, a helper robot built by Light, Rock, volunteered to stop the rogue Robot Masters, and end Wily's mad schemes. Donning Blue Armor and wielding an arm cannon, he became 'Mega Man.' Beginning a conflict that would prove to span over a decade. Though he's been defeated many times, Wily is nothing if not persistent. Using his wits and cunning to escape judgement for his crimes time and time again, lying low as he plots his next scheme.

Lived: From Mega Man (1987)

Titles: Genius Robotocist, Master of Machines, Skull Fanatic

Civilization: [Insert Civ Symbol Here]

History in the games: Wily was designed by Mega Man Series Creator Keiji Inafune during development of the very first Mega Man in 1987. His design was inspired by Albert Einstein, with whom he shares his first name. Originally intended to appear as a tall, thin, mustachioed scientist with glasses and a receding hairline. However, during development, Inafune revised the design to better match Wily's in-game sprites, making him shorter and removing the glasses. Unhappy with this design, he completely re-drew him for Mega Man 2, making his hair more wild, restoring some of his height, and elongating his chin. Satisfied, he used this design, with very few alterations, for nearly every appearance he made in the franchise afterward.

Although he never appears directly, Wily's influence is still felt in the popular spin-off series Mega Man X, having built the robot 'Zero' as an ultimate weapon, as well as having devised the 'Maverick Virus' that would set the events of the series in motion. There are also some fairly heavy implications that Wily may in fact still be alive in this continuity, having given up his human body to become a form of digital consciousness, hopping from body to body over the course of the series.

A spiritual successor to the character, named Dr. Weil, appears in the spin-off series Mega Man Zero, taking place in a future even more distant than that depicted in the X series.

I was planning on doing just that next! I'll get on it in just a bit, I've got some troubleshooting with my own currently installed mods I'm dying to get resolved first.

Alright, here you go:

Greetings and Salutations unto you, Albert Wily, Visionary Robotocist and Master of the Mechanical Arts! It was by your hand that Thomas Light's 'Robot Masters' reached their full potential, providing you with an automaton army with which to show the world your superiority and intelligence! Although Light's 'son', Rock, proved to be your undoing, you persisted, taking the concept of the Robot Master further than Light could ever have hoped to. You erected mighty fortresses, and through cunning and deception, were continuously able to avoid apprehension by your enemies.

And although your losses against the 'Blue Bomber' were many, each and every one only served to strengthen your resolve. You rescued Light's first 'son', Blues, from the brink of death, recruiting him to your side. Though the alliance was brief, it proved devastating to Light, and only pushed you to further heights. Studying Mega Man's design, you built Bass, your own Robotic 'Son', creating the powerful energy source Bassnium in the process. Though he, too, would turn against you, you refused to give up, following your dreams of world domination to your dying day.

Oh Wise and stalwart Doctor, in this strange new land in which you find yourself, you find the opportunity to begin anew. Without Light and his 'sons' to get in your way, can you finally get the respect you so sorely deserve for your genius, and prove your superiority? Can you build a civilization that can stand the test of time?
------------------------------------

Let me know if it needs tweaking.

Top Bottom