Keniisu's Civilizations

Working on one of my next civilizations...

Iraq (Saddam Hussein)
UA: ??? -
During the time of :c5war: with another civilization, a rebellion happens in your capital, however, +10% Production :c5production: towards units. (This increases for each war ongoing, but is Maxed at 40%.) Whenever a friendly unit pillages :c5war: a strategic resource tile improvement grant yourself a Gold :c5gold: bonus.

Anyone have any ideas for this design perhaps? Also, any critique on the UA idea?

Glad to see that you're making Saddam (That probably sounds weird without context :p). I'm a bit confused about the UA, though. Are you saying that if someone else were to declare war with you then you would still have a rebellion? I worry it's a bit counter-productive.

On a related note, the only Saddam civs I can find on the workshop use a picture of the flag, with all three colors, as an icon.

I think you should ditch the rebellion part, regardless of what it would consist of, it just makes it weaker. I also recommend changing the production boost to 15% and cap it at 45%. Also, it would be nice if pillaging strategic resources could also hinder the enemy somehow, like for example, leaving the tile unworkable for a while or creating a temporary fog of war.
I also recommend that you add the traditional light rays to Saddam's icon if you weren't already planning to, it just looks weird without it. As for the icon itself, you could use this:
Spoiler :

With or without the stars.

Hm. Good points, I'll redo the design without the Rebellion soon. Any ideas for Unique Units/Buildings, that's my hard part here. Maybe what it can be based on perhaps?

The Republican Guard would be a good UU choice. Don't know what could be used for the building though. But if you want to go for a double-UU design though, you could use the Lion of Babylon. -weaker, but cheaper to produce and receives a higher flanking bonus. Alternatively, you could also try to make it a ranged unit, or if you want to be more creative, even a cannon/artillery hybrid. It'd need to have a downside in order not to be too OP though.

How's this?

Iraq (Saddam Hussein)
UA: ??? -
During the time of :c5war: with another civilization, gain +15% Production :c5production: towards units. (This increases for each war ongoing, but is Maxed at 45%.) However, you gain a slight warmongering penalty for each declared war :c5war:. Whenever a friendly unit pillages :c5war: a strategic resource tile improvement grant yourself a Gold :c5gold: bonus.

UU: Republican Guard -
Is slightly weaker than the Infantry it replaces (-5 Strength :c5strength:). Starts with the "Disciplined" promotion granting them the ability to attack :c5war: at full strength despite damage given to them. They have double movement :c5moves: on Desert tiles.

UU: Lion of Babylon -
Replaces Tank. When attacking :c5war: a city, grant nearby units with a +10% Strength :c5strength: bonus that last until the end of the turn.

Now that I think of it, the UA should only apply if war is declared on you, not just by being at war. Otherwise it's way too powerful. Be sure to make it so that only wars with major civs count, not city-states, by the way. Also, I've changed my mind: 10% boost per war with 40% cap is more than enough. Anyway, I rewrote the text to make it clearer, if you don't mind.
About the Republic Guard, I don't think they should be weaker than normal infantry, as they were Hussein's elite, but instead slightly stronger. The rest is good though, but I suggest making them slightly more expensive to maintain.
As for the Lion of Babylon, I think they should start with Drill I and receive a combat boost (10-15%) when close (2-3 tiles) to a city, allied or enemy. Also, reduced combat penalty against cities.

Edit: Just saw the icons. It'd probably look nice if the barrel of the tank and the gun sticked out of the circle.

Now that I think of it, the UA should only apply if war is declared on you, not just by being at war. Otherwise it's way too powerful. Be sure to make it so that only wars with major civs count, not city-states, by the way. Also, I've changed my mind: 10% boost per war with 40% cap is more than enough. Anyway, I rewrote the text to make it clearer, if you don't mind.
About the Republic Guard, I don't think they should be weaker than normal infantry, as they were Hussein's elite, but instead slightly stronger. The rest is good though, but I suggest making them slightly more expensive to maintain.
As for the Lion of Babylon, I think they should start with Drill I and receive a combat boost (10-15%) when close (2-3 tiles) to a city, allied or enemy. Also, reduced combat penalty against cities.

Fair Critique. Will edit the design as soon as possible, but for now, I must rest. :lol: Thanks for the help with the conceptualizing of the Civ, will credit as it helped quite a bit.

EDIT: The source images cut-off those parts for the most part so I hadn't a choice in the matter.

What about the Scud missile? Saddam used lots of them.

Another attempt at the design :)

Iraq (Saddam Hussein)
UA: Refusal to Abide -
During the time of :c5war: with another civilization, gain +10% Production :c5production: towards units. (This increases for each war ongoing, but is Maxed at 40%.) However, you gain a slight warmongering penalty for each declared war :c5war:. Whenever a friendly unit pillages :c5war: a strategic resource tile improvement grant yourself a Gold :c5gold: bonus.

UU: Republican Guard -
Is slightly stronger than the Infantry it replaces (+3 Strength :c5strength:). Costs 425 :c5production: instead of the normal cost. Starts with the "Disciplined" promotion granting them the ability to attack :c5war: at full strength despite damage given to them. They even have double movement :c5moves: on Desert tiles.

UU: Scud Missile -
Replaces the Guided Missile. Costs 180 Production :c5production: instead of the normal cost, however has 64 Ranged Strength :c5rangedstrength:.

I don't know, I think guided missiles are fairly useless, so a UU replacing them feels underpowered. Ideally, he'd have a unique building, preferably coming earlier than the UU, but I don't know what it could be. And talking about the UU, I'd increase the strenght to 75 instead of 73.
Also, I reworded it to feel more like other civ descriptions.
UA - Receive a 10% Production boost towards military units per war with a major civilization (Maxed at 40%), but receive an increased warmonger penalty from declaring them. Gain a gold bonus when pillaging a strategic resource tile improvement.
UU = Slightly stronger than the Infantry, which it replace, but costs more production. Attacks with full strenght even when damaged, and has double movement on desert tiles.
Not going to do it for the other unique as I don't think it's been very clearly defined.

I don't know, I think guided missiles are fairly useless, so a UU replacing them feels underpowered. Ideally, he'd have a unique building, preferably coming earlier than the UU, but I don't know what it could be. And talking about the UU, I'd increase the strenght to 75 instead of 73.
Also, I reworded it to feel more like other civ descriptions.
UA - Receive a 10% Production boost towards military units per war with a major civilization (Maxed at 40%), but receive an increased warmonger penalty from declaring them. Gain a gold bonus when pillaging a strategic resource tile improvement.
UU = Slightly stronger than the Infantry, which it replace, but costs more production. Attacks with full strenght even when damaged, and has double movement on desert tiles.
Not going to do it for the other unique as I don't think it's been very clearly defined.

Alright, I'll revise the design as those are quite good points. Below is my other civilization idea that I've been planning if you'd like to help there as well. I have an idea for the UA, but can't find anything in particular linked to Reagan that can be used for the other uniques. :sad:

The United States (Ronald Reagan)

UA: Reaganomics -
When adopting a Social Policy :c5culture: gain the option to cut government funding (Gain a Gold :c5gold: bonus which scales with era.) or decrease the tax (Gain a permanent bonus to your Gold :c5gold: per turn that scales with era). Buildings have a reduced cost for maintenance upon the discovery of Economics. (-1 :c5gold:).

For Iraq, in terms of the civ as a whole (and the missing unique), I would say it could be moved direction of gaining benefits from negative diplomatic feelings about you. See JFD's Hitler as an excellent example. If it's feasible, perhaps you could get bonuses for getting yourself embargoed. The Lion of Babylon, while not really unique as poom mentioned, would be a great UU to give combat bonuses for that.

Or, perhaps, you could make a Barracks / Armory / Military Academy replacement that gives a special promotion to all units trained. I'm not sure what it should be called, but with the aid of google translate some options are the Thakanat (Arabic for barracks) Tirsana (Arabic for armory) or Qaeida (Arabic for base, I'm not sure if it works though).

Also possibility for that role is a monument replacement, given Saddam was famous for all the statues of himself throughout Iraq.

If embargo bonuses just aren't pragmatic enough, then the promotion could always be a combat bonus from each denunciation. That option would likely be more useful for the game as a whole instead of just the latter half.

_______

In terms of Mr. Reagan, shouldn't Reagonomics make you loose gold per turn scaling each era? Lowering taxes means less government revenue... :p

After all he did triple the federal debt..

Could i get credit for the Singapore Leaderscreen and Map please? You didn't seem to put anything in its description on the Workshop.

Could i get credit for the Singapore Leaderscreen and Map please? You didn't seem to put anything in its description on the Workshop.
Done. So sorry about the lack of credit. Thought I had included it somewhere in the file's description!

Top Bottom