Scenario Editor "too little virtual memory" crash

Mr Spice

Emperor
I just re-aquired this game (it was a favorite game of mine long ago) and now I have a problem with the scenario editor that I can´t solve on my own. When I load a map from a savegame in the editor, it crashes whiles saying that I have too little virtual memory and that I should make sure that I have at least 128 MB of virual memory. (When making my own map in the editor, it seems to work fine.)

Now, I run the "sold out" edition of Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire. My system is Windows 7 64 bit, 8 GB ram (and windows standard virtual memory). I have tried both with the windows compability patch and without it. I have tried running the game in compability mode for Windows XP. I also uninstalled the game and reinstalled it on the system drive, but so far nothing helps.

Does anyone have an idea what to do to make it work?

How much free space do you have on the drive that contains your swap file?

On the system drive, where the game is now, I have 800 GB free space. The swap file is set up by Windows to be a minimum of 8,3 GB.

First I installed it on another drive that I use for games. On that drive there is no swap file, but when this problem popped up I made a swap file of 300 - 800 MB on that drive manually. That did not help, so I uninstalled the game, cleaned the registry and re-installed it on the system drive instread. Unfortrunately, that did not work either. :(

We could, if you wish, continue to troubleshoot this problem. However, I recommend that you uninstall the game and then buy it from GOG. As Buster's Uncle has helpfully pointed out here, you can download the game this weekend for only $2.39. The GOG version is DRM-free and has been tweaked to run on newer OSs. The Sold Out version installs SecuROM on your system. This form of DRM has been known to cause problems and may be the source of your error message. If you choose to go this route, I suggest that you Google for uninstall securom for instructions how to remove it from your system.

If you prefer not to buy the GOG version, or if installing it doesn't fix the problem, please post again.

Good luck!

Top Bottom