[Graphic Mod] Varietas Delectat v9.2 [civ specific unit sets]

I would like to register a very serious complaint with this mod: I can't get anywhere through a game because I can't stop starting new games to check out all the new units all the other civs have (I think the Egyptian set is my favourite). Seriously, awesome work by yourself and the other graphic artists!

Just a couple of super petty things I noticed:

The Zulu War Elephant has shiny metallic texturing on the face even though there's no metal there
The Egyptian Pikeman seems to have a scaling problem (VERY thin with a very big pike)
I love the Zulu set, but I'm not sure the Balseraph Merryman quite works as a medieval heavy infantry dude. Maybe if you could stick that head on a body with armour (and a zulu shield?) it might look more medieval.

Love the new units for the upcoming update too!
But the actual axe that your existing Aztec axeman has is so fricking cool that it would be a shame not to keep it! (the new unit itself rocks though)

the celtic axe doesn't fit much the native american style IMO.

I had a feeling you are going to say something like this and... you are absolutely correct! Sadly, I have no skills as of yet to change the weapons:( But I will work on it...

I would like to register a very serious complaint with this mod: I can't get anywhere through a game because I can't stop starting new games to check out all the new units all the other civs have (I think the Egyptian set is my favourite). Seriously, awesome work by yourself and the other graphic artists!

Thx!

The Zulu War Elephant has shiny metallic texturing on the face even though there's no metal there
Yep, I know about that, I'm gonna do something about it, most probably make the texture itself lighter (african elephant skin)
The Egyptian Pikeman seems to have a scaling problem (VERY thin with a very big pike)
You spotted one of my biggest gripes, too! I've been looking for a better pikeman for a loooong time, alas, still no success :cry: But I'm not giving up!:lol:

I love the Zulu set, but I'm not sure the Balseraph Merryman quite works as a medieval heavy infantry dude. Maybe if you could stick that head on a body with armour (and a zulu shield?) it might look more medieval.
Balseraph Merryman? So that's the name:) I just liked the way how savage it looks:lol: Seriously, sadly I have no 'head sticking' skills as of yet, but I'll try to improve!

Love the new units for the upcoming update too!
But the actual axe that your existing Aztec axeman has is so fricking cool that it would be a shame not to keep it! (the new unit itself rocks though)
Hmmm, in that case where'd you suggest putting the new eagle warrior?

Thanks for your comments, I hope I'm making something that's worth to play with!

You spotted one of my biggest gripes, too! I've been looking for a better pikeman for a loooong time, alas, still no success :cry: But I'm not giving up!:lol:
Danrell seems to be making custom units at about the rate of one civ every twenty minutes, so if he keeps the pace up, I'm sure it won't be long :D

Balseraph Merryman? So that's the name:) I just liked the way how savage it looks:lol: Seriously, sadly I have no 'head sticking' skills as of yet, but I'll try to improve!
Yeah it's from Fall From Heaven (it's actually a warrior replacement for a civ run by an insane, psychotic jester :D ). I agree it's a cool unit, just doesn't quite fit the "heavy medieval infantry" theme with just a loincloth and a mask :p

Hmmm, in that case where'd you suggest putting the new eagle warrior?
No no, you misunderstand! The new eagle warrior is awesome for an axeman, I just meant keeping the axe weapon itself from the old unit (the cool golden-looking one) transplanted to the eagle guy. I have no idea about civ modding though, so I dunno how possible that is, I just know it's a fricking cool axe he's carrying

Hehe, I have proposed something along those lines already, but so far we are keeping it separate. Which still allows me to take some units from keymod (and vice versa if avain is interested).

Hehe, I have proposed something along those lines already, but so far we are keeping it separate. Which still allows me to take some units from keymod (and vice versa if avain is interested).

Sure, I'm checking everything out there and 'borrowing';) units mercilessly. Also I think it's not a bad thing to have different mods doing diversity; one can choose which one suits him better.

Ok, so as it seems it's not only me who's bothered with the Egyptian Pikeman, I decided to give it a go. It's not perfect still (needs adjustment of the pike in fortify...), but basically this is what I've come up with:

Spoiler :

Totally digging the new units! I love how the Incas and Aztecs are really differentiated now, too!

Just been playing as the Celts and loving it, just a few comments (that's what you get for listening to my suggestions :p)

The new knight looks incredible. I'm building hordes of these guys :D

The celtic worker's big hammer stays around when he's doing other stuff, so he has a hammer and an axe when chopping, two hammers when he's building, etc.

The celtic warrior looks a lot like the Gallic, it's a bit hard to tell them apart. This can be problematic to war plans sometimes :p

The Celtic War Elephant with the Braveheart paint is an absolutely inspired idea, but the blue paint looks maybe a bit too fluoro, toning it down a bit might look even better

Maybe it's just a civilopedia thing (haven't gotten that far in the game) but the rifleman looks kinda washed-out (particularly in comparison with the superb grenadier)

Also, I was just looking through the unit database...have you seen this incredible Egyptian rifleman? I reckon it'd be a nice addition! Dig the new Egyptian pikeman, by the way...

Top Bottom