Give me 18, but not on Earth - new PBEM

If we could find a couple of hours that matched, we could always just use the current method (pbem) and chat somewhere when it wasn't our turn. I've seen some 2-player pbem's that get 30+ turns in a day.

We could try that too of course.

Here is what I could pull from the first page ...
  1. Nighthawk419 - Sitting Bull of the Native Americans - aka Night Hawk (GMT -5)
  2. Michkov - Wang Kon of Korea - aka Dangun Wanggeom (GMT +1) Updated
  3. Mitiu Ioen - Catherine of Russia - Espirito (GMT ??)
  4. Eclipse4449 - Shaka of Zulu - aka Eclipse (GMT -5)
  5. bjarkekr - Willem van Oranje of the Dutch - aka bjarkekr (GMT +1)
  6. Imp. Knoedel - Charlemagne of Holy Rome - aka King Dick VII (GMT ??)
  7. Bathsheba666 - Huyana Capac of Inca - aka ZootHornRollo (GMT ??)
  8. chasbolt - Darius of Persia - aka Chasbolt (GMT -5)
  9. Majic - Mansa Musa of Mali - aka Majic (GMT +1)
  10. kenwyn - Montezuma of Aztec - aka Tudaio (GMT ??)
  11. Ruff_hi - Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia - aka Ruffster John (GMT -5)

I think it is in turn order and I have filled in the GMT zones for each. At present, we range from +1 to -5. So an early start on a Saturday might work.

I'm pretty sure pbem games can be loaded in the other MP modes. I'd be up for it if we can agree on a time. All I do these days is advance my turn anyway. I'm GMT+1 btw

I am on call on Saturdays, so could not guarantee to be available.
However, the pbem format would render this less likely to be a problem.

I had not heard that pbems could be converted into any other formats - even thought they could not - and would be reluctant to trust the technology.

Just to understand where I got this idea, I played smac/smack pbems regularly as I play BTS today and on numerous occasions an exact setup would be created under "Load Multiplayer", the creator would load the most recent pbem turn and the game would load the turn but bypass the password and we would play a couple of hours, when one of us had to go the "host would save the game and reload it in the pbem section, finish the turn like normal and send it to me, the turn I'd receive was a pbem turn and it resumed normally. I can not swear it had a password attached at this point but I do not have any memories of any kind of difficulties.

But I do remember that it was an "IPCONFIG" but I can only guess the tech is better these days.

I suggest a smaller pbem game is created and cloned to test the going into MP and coming out as pbem, my guess is it will work.

T-hawk from Realms Beyond has commented on this being possible ...
T-hawk from Realms Beyond said:
I think a detour through Pitboss may fix your save, but it's a bit complicated.

1. Start with the save incoming to the Oracle player the turn before the Oracle is completed. Load that in Pitboss. (Pitboss will know it is sequential turns and not simultaneous.)
2. Connect to Pitboss and play your turn, completing the Oracle at EOT.
3. Have the other player connect and play his turn.
4. Then when the first player starts his next turn, the Oracle popup should function as normal.
5. Save *mid-turn* in the Pitboss host.
6. Load that mid-turn save as PBEM.
7. End turn as usual and send it along.

The Pitboss host must keep running continuously from steps 2 to 5, do not save and reload during this time.

Steps 5+ are optional to convert back to PBEM - you could just keep playing as Pitboss instead if you like.

T-Hawk is talking about fixing a borked save ... but the underlying concept is solid. However, note that we would have to find a pitboss server that we can all content to (concurrently) to get this really humming.

I know nothing about that sort of technology, so I wouldn't be able to be helpful or in charge of that.

I also am unavailable 99% of saturdays since thats family time for me. I highly doubt we will be able to get this many players together to move this along faster. All we can do is commit to play turns as quickly as we can. I said from the beginning this game would take 5+ years!!!! It's looking more like 10+!

At some point we will be down to a few super powers though. The end will move disappointingly fast compared to all this slow foreplay! ;)

We were humming along there for a while.

How about we just wipe out a couple of civs with the slowest leaders. :evil:

Hm-m-m, who should we start with...? :trouble:

Yes please, take me out, I'm surprised my neighbour hasn't even tried yet. =)

The Inca, in general, are a peaceful wonder building tribe.
You have a good point though, it's AD already....

Its Majic again'

Give_me_18,_but_not_on_Earth_AD-0660_to_Majic

Top Bottom